A recommendation for a ball polish...

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all have our favorites, but I saw a thread about electric polishers recommending Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I use both extensively on both my vehicle and my pool balls. Only difference is that the Ultimate Wax is detailer on steroids.

It isn't cheap, but it'll last forever in the paste form. You can also opt for the liquid, and it's a bit cheaper, but won't last nearly as long since a lot gets absorbed into the applicator.

I have no buffer, but just apply it sparingly to each ball with an old washcloth. Let it dry to a haze and it comes off with a turn or two in a clean soft cloth.

It has no cleaning properties at all. It's a synthetic polymer and not a wax or cleaner. Meg's calls it a wax so the consumer knows what it is. In the car world these products are known as sealants.

I do them in the evening, and allow the polymer to cure overnight. Probably not unnecessary, but that's what the Meg's Forum suggests

It'll knock a big hole in thirty for the paste, and I'm not suggesting that's an insignificant amount, but it's dynamite on your hood also. If you are in need of a great car sealant and ball polish, perhaps you may wanna give it a shot.

Photos with a cheap P&S and no tripod. With and without flash. The tiny specs are reflections from the flash.

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5266.JPG

p135886z.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some car products can do really bad things to the surface of the ball. I tried car rubbing compound and then polish on an old set of balls. The balls ended up beautiful but with about twice the normal amount of throw. Every cut shot and every spin shot was an adventure.

As for wax, the problem is the the wax will change the action off the cushions and the wax wears off the balls. If you keep them waxed, maybe it's OK, but it's not like the conditions you'll get in most pool halls.

Aramith makes a polish that doesn't leave any slippery stuff on the ball but does take out scuff marks. Chem-Pak makes a similar product that works well.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some car products can do really bad things to the surface of the ball. I tried car rubbing compound and then polish on an old set of balls. The balls ended up beautiful but with about twice the normal amount of throw. Every cut shot and every spin shot was an adventure.

As for wax, the problem is the the wax will change the action off the cushions and the wax wears off the balls. If you keep them waxed, maybe it's OK, but it's not like the conditions you'll get in most pool halls.

Aramith makes a polish that doesn't leave any slippery stuff on the ball but does take out scuff marks. Chem-Pak makes a similar product that works well.

I use only Aramith ball cleaner. I don't want wax on my pool balls or transferred onto the Simonis 860HR cloth covering my table. Aramith manufactures the finest pool balls so why not use a product they developed to clean and preserve them.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agreeed.. no wax.

i now use aramith cleaner and my home made polisher. save a trip to the local billiard supply store just to get the the balls polished.

flash5153

none
Silver Member
Don't ever use a color enhancer(basically wax) that is for Granite counter tops!! It's something you can't get over the counter. But if you work with granite ,,like me,,it is available!!
It is a strong wax that will bring color and shine out of stone!!! The only way to remove it,,once applied,is with steel wool!!!

But is a terrible thing on a pool ball.lol
I will stick to the regular waxes.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've found that waxing the cue ball causes it to play unrealistically.
It will get you action like on new cloth. It's fun to draw the cue ball up your sleeve, but the wax wears off the cue ball fairly quickly.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If you use polish instead of wax you should not leave a wax coating on the ball. Polish would be like the last step of wet sanding and buffing a new paint job, after the rubbing compounds and scratch removers etc. Then typically the car would be waxed after polish.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've had best results with Maguire's Ultimate Detail polish (in a red spray bottle). When the bottle was empty, I tried the Ultimate Detail (in a black bottle) based on a comment in a previous thread.

Nothing wrong the the black bottle version but the balls felt "slipperier" with the red bottle. When the black bottle stuff is gone, I'll go back to the red bottle.

(Sorry I don't remember the exact names of the red and black bottle versions).

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I use Brillianize. This is also what I ship with my ball polishers. I prefer it because it does a great job cleaning and polishing the balls, is designed for plastic, and does not gum up the ball polisher like so many of the other cleaners and waxes that are used. It is in spray form so it is very easy to use. Just start the balls spinning, spray a couple of times over the balls, and in a few minutes they come out looking like new.

Woody

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always used the Aramith twins, and still use the Restorer for the cue ball, but this sealant just seems to outlast it. I'm only a mid level player, but I truly haven't noticed any increased draw, for example.

It does, however, leave the balls super slippery. I'll continue to experiment. All it takes is a good rubbing with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove it.

As mentioned this is not a wax, has no cleaning properties, and is not abrasive. It has the physical properties of a wax by appearance, but I believe that's only the carrier to get it's semi hard paste-like properties for easy application.

Thanks a million for all your inputs!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the WPA equipment specs:

"Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play."

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
From the WPA equipment specs:

"Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play."

Wet rag, works the best, no cost cept water and lint free cloth. How hard can it be to clean a tray of balls. In my room I cleaned em that way every day for years.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We all have our favorites, but I saw a thread about electric polishers recommending Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer. I use both extensively on both my vehicle and my pool balls. Only difference is that the Ultimate Wax is detailer on steroids.

It isn't cheap, but it'll last forever in the paste form. You can also opt for the liquid, and it's a bit cheaper, but won't last nearly as long since a lot gets absorbed into the applicator.

I have no buffer, but just apply it sparingly to each ball with an old washcloth. Let it dry to a haze and it comes off with a turn or two in a clean soft cloth.

It has no cleaning properties at all. It's a synthetic polymer and not a wax or cleaner. Meg's calls it a wax so the consumer knows what it is. In the car world these products are known as sealants.

I do them in the evening, and allow the polymer to cure overnight. Probably not unnecessary, but that's what the Meg's Forum suggests

It'll knock a big hole in thirty for the paste, and I'm not suggesting that's an insignificant amount, but it's dynamite on your hood also. If you are in need of a great car sealant and ball polish, perhaps you may wanna give it a shot.

Photos with a cheap P&S and no tripod. With and without flash. The tiny specs are reflections from the flash.

View attachment 276641

View attachment 276642

View attachment 276643

thats spot on, i use meg's in a burgundy/red tin and its not wax wither, nothing to build up on the table/shaft/etc. it just turns to powder and disappears works great in polishers. im gonna give this one a shot when mine is used up, lasts forever, i have cleaned well over 100 different sets of balls, plus mine and friends as well. great pics too!:smile:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I use Brillianize. This is also what I ship with my ball polishers. I prefer it because it does a great job cleaning and polishing the balls, is designed for plastic, and does not gum up the ball polisher like so many of the other cleaners and waxes that are used. It is in spray form so it is very easy to use. Just start the balls spinning, spray a couple of times over the balls, and in a few minutes they come out looking like new.

Woody

I've been using Brillianize for several years and have tried everything else at one time or another. Briallianize cleans and polishes and leaves no film on the balll. It's great stuff.