Garage Sale Find...

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
My wife and I were "Antiquing" this weekend. I was looking at a wall full of things and told my wife "I know there is something in this spot that I'm interested in but I just can't find it."

and then, after she walked away, there it was. In the corner up by the rafters...
2521211430028460828S500x500Q85.jpg

a close up of the "beads"
2270934640028460828S500x500Q85.jpg

I can only imagine the smoke filled, dimly lit room this thing originally occupied and stories it could tell.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife and I were "Antiquing" this weekend. I was looking at a wall full of things and told my wife "I know there is something in this spot that I'm interested in but I just can't find it."

and then, after she walked away, there it was. In the corner up by the rafters...

I can only imagine the smoke filled, dimly lit room this thing originally occupied and stories it could tell.

WOW!! I'm thinking that might be a bead system for carom pool or something like that. However, that would work nicely for 14.1 straight pool as well. Are you a 14.1 player by chance?

Regardless, that's a fantastic find. Your "hunch" was right, and your tenacity paid off handsomely!

Thanks for posting this!
-Sean

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice find

Can we ask what you paid for it? Bet you got a steal of a deal

gdc25

Silver Member
I will only say that I paid less than $75.00 for it and let you speculate whether I paid $74.99 or $12.99. The reason being that it's not for sale and I don't want my pm box full of offers.

I took the pictures as I was leaving the house this morning, but I wish I would have taken more detailed photo's. I imagine that the beads were on a wire of some sort at one time and when the wire broke somebody along the lines of my grandfather "rigged" something up that would "work just fine."

I'm not a 14.1 player, I'm actually not much of a player at all. I bang around in 8 & 9 ball leagues. (Note: I've attempted to learn 14.1 but can't get the hang of it)

No matter what it's used for, this thing is gonna look great hanging on the wall in my room.

picture.php

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to me like a game I was told named Razzel Dazzel. Probably has a better name.

Its a game I think invented to allow anyone to learn Caroms.

The numbers represent

1 Cushion
2 Cushions
3 Cushions
C= Caroms
CF = Banks

10 Points for each catagory is a long game. We played 5 points for each.

gdc25

Silver Member
No Kidding?

My wife was trying to give each line a meaning. I told her that those were probably the only letters/numbers the maker had available.

thanks for the info.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wow

It will look perfect with that table.

Now,lose the red cloth and take up 14.1.
Get a copy of Mastering Pool by George Fels

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
and, oh yeah, your lamp shade is crooked, fix it! ;)

that certainly was a fantastic and interesting find. :thumbup:

I love old scorers, I was lucky to get a few items from a well known Denver billiards collection being auctioned some years back, one item being an old scorer. Even though my GC1 has the built in thumbwheel scorer, there's something real nice about sliding beads.

Do you, or anyone else, have an idea of how old your scorer might be?

I'd venture a guess that with those beads, it may be early 1910's to 1920's.

Anyone know?

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

gdc25

Silver Member
KC (I'd call you Brian, but KC is just more fun);

I have no idea how old they are and would love to get more info.

Age and original use and material being the top 3.

Some don't slide and I'm contemplating the best method to clean w/out jeopardizing any attributes.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Great find. I'm sure whenever you get tired of the scorer, you can post this on AZ and get plenty of offers. As for the wife, she sounds like a keeper. Don't ever consider letting her go.

Regards

gdc25

Silver Member
As for the wife, she sounds like a keeper. Don't ever consider letting her go.
If she doesn't fix that crooked lamp shade soon (and fix me a sammich) she's out the door.

Actually, she's great. I've told the story on here before about her having a garage sale to get rid of all of her living room furniture so I could have that pool room.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super nice find...

I will only say that I paid less than $75.00 for it and let you speculate whether I paid $74.99 or $12.99. The reason being that it's not for sale and I don't want my pm box full of offers.

I took the pictures as I was leaving the house this morning, but I wish I would have taken more detailed photo's. I imagine that the beads were on a wire of some sort at one time and when the wire broke somebody along the lines of my grandfather "rigged" something up that would "work just fine."

I'm not a 14.1 player, I'm actually not much of a player at all. I bang around in 8 & 9 ball leagues. (Note: I've attempted to learn 14.1 but can't get the hang of it)

No matter what it's used for, this thing is gonna look great hanging on the wall in my room.

picture.php

I like the nice item you found! And I love your table and pool room! What a find!! Thanks for sharing it with us....
Regards,
Lock N Load.

gdc25

Silver Member
antiquing with the wife? are you the dude from the old spice commercial that needs slapped?
Ha Ha!

Dude, she sold her living room so I could have a pool room. Going Antiquing with her is the least I could do. Her eye is normally better than mine and I'm just there to verify the find. See the large photo on my wall? she found that and the billiard room sign beside it. (and the parking meter light.)

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
be very careful

KC (I'd call you Brian, but KC is just more fun);

I have no idea how old they are and would love to get more info.

Age and original use and material being the top 3.

Some don't slide and I'm contemplating the best method to clean w/out jeopardizing any attributes.

That appears to be brass and nothing worse than damaging the patina on old brass. I would try gentle pressure turning and back and forth for awhile, maybe the tiniest drop of kroil on a toothpick right where the bead is frozen. Some shine from natural rubbing is far better than a chemical removal of the patina. I'd try the kroil on a sacrificial piece of brass first. I don't remember it being real bad about removing patina but it's been a lot of years since I have used it on brass.

Years ago I had a prized piece of brass junk with that patina that only years can give. My ex wasn't my ex at the time and lovingly polished it to brand new condition while I was working one day. After popping seven blood vessels looking at it I waited a couple of hours to gently explain to her to never ever polish or clean my old stuff.

That wasn't the only reason for the divorce . . .

Hu

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Absolutely "Love" that Table of yours ... and the Scoring System
the OP bought for cheap would be a nice addition.

Last edited: