'splain me sompin'

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Last fall, my wife purchased a deck of The Ultimate Pool Challenge Game™ game cards for my birthday.

Somebody explain to me how to pull off this shot as shown.

Poolchallenge01.jpg

according to the card, a tip of top will carry the cue ball as shown. This is the one card in the deck that I've not been able to figure out.

gdc25

Silver Member
that's easy enough said. However, if I lay this shot out exactly as shown. Cue ball 1 diamond x 1 diamond from corner pocket. Object ball on ball with from diamond as shown...

i feel like the guy in the song.. "my boomerang won't come back".

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Looks to me like a bit of center left English on the cue ball would come nearer to making the shot as shown.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This is a very advanced stroke shot if high english is supposed to be used, not many players can make this even real good players. The tangent line is misleading because the cue ball is actually arching on its way to the first contact point on the rail and again will arch after contact with rail back into object ball.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
maybe you need a table with bigger pockets? :) ...kidding, but seriously....some shots just aren't possible on some real tough tables.

G.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that shot is possible with the english suggested on the card. I'd bet on it too, using a rempe ball to prove that the cue was hit with high english.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess the cards are not tryin to just have you make the ball. You have to make it the way they want you to (follow). So i guess it is a "double the rail" type of shot?

Just to make it i would shoot w a little draw & inside english so i could over cut it and drift down table easier.

gdc25

Silver Member
will Mike Massey be at the DCC? If so I'll send this card with somebody that is going and have him prove this shot.

he's supposedly the person that developed the game.

gdc25

Silver Member
I guess the cards are not tryin to just have you make the ball. You have to make it the way they want you to (follow). So i guess it is a "double the rail" type of shot?

Just to make it i would shoot w a little draw & inside english so i could over cut it and drift down table easier.

I don't believe (would need to look at the instructions again) that they require exact english for these shots. However, this is the only card that I can't pull off the shot the way that they suggest.

if you look at the diagram below the point value, you can almost make out the cue ball with the cross hairs and the suggested cue point. (photo was taken with my phone)

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw this thread and immediately got up and went to my table to try it... made it first try, which I was very happy about. :)

I can't, however, make it using the top that they suggest either.

gdc25

Silver Member
I just saw this thread and immediately got up and went to my table to try it... made it first try, which I was very happy about. :)

I can't, however, make it using the top that they suggest either.

This makes me feel better. I was "this close" to blaming it on my dog (who was laying under the table) last night. :)

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
It would seem that hitting it high would force the cue to the cushion and then across the middle of the table. Try stunning the cueball, a tad below center with a firm stroke so the cueball has no rotation at impact. If the cut is too severe, you may have to use draw.

gdc25

Silver Member
All I could test it on was my bar table. I tried it ten times, and made it once. Then tried it another ten times, and came somewhat close once. It is possible, but very difficult, and requires a very precise hard hit. If you are off a hair on where you hit the ob, you won't come close. And, you only want one tip of follow, any more than that, you won't come close. Not a shot I would want to bet on, even with twenty tries!

so it is possible? and they say 1 tip of follow. I never pay attention to the point values but I'll check tonight, this might be the highest point value in the deck.

On most of these cards (when I use them) I shoot them until I can make the shot w/out missing 5 tries in a row before I move on. I'm taking this card out of the deck. LOL

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
It would seem that hitting it high would force the cue to the cushion and then across the middle of the table. Try stunning the cueball, a tad below center with a firm stroke so the cueball has no rotation at impact. If the cut is too severe, you may have to use draw.

I have that deck of cards as well, and I've also just stunned the CB up there. It's still not a piece of cake, especially we play on 9' tables.

I don't think Massey developed this version - he only did the Advanced version IIRC.

TimmyB80

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am by no means an expert... but be danged if I don't chime in ;)
The first ball is pretty close to a full hit, so I would guess this OB is getting about 90% of the force from the CB, leaving the rest to move the CB down the rail (tangent line). So, you would really have to juice the ball to get that 10% of energy to get the CB down that far.
Reminds me of Phil Capelle book "How to Play Better Pool" (I think) in regards to the best angles to have better CB control... this would be an example of a bad angle :)

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
The perspective on that table is way outta whack...take a look at this on cuetable. Pretty tough shot given the "downward" angle.

CueTable Help