Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Do you have any pet peeves about a Pool Cue's appearance?
Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
Question 06-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessEm View Post
I dunno, you might be right. In that case, it should read, "The fuzziness of butterfly points."

Thanks for pointing that out.

But...

I think that the color choices really influence the visual of where the woods join. I have one that is all natural colors and have seen some with red/ yellow, etc ...and the latter looks like something you wouldn't even want to step in.

I'll take a pic of mine when I get unchained from my desk.

Old
  (#32)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Thanx to this thread....I have to add more things I won’t put up with....
...the only leather wrap I want to see is stacked...no reptiles, no pachyderms..
...and no reverse points on the after-wrap.
...and nothing on the end of the points...I feel they may cover a mistake.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

pet peeves
Old
  (#33)
ipoppa33
Shakedown Custom Rods
ipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond repute

pet peeves - 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM

My number one pet peeve on a cue costing over 1k is having no ringwork on the shaft or butt joint (A & B rings), to me all black collars are what you get on inexpensive cues.
I also don't care for- malachite or turquoise, and reverse points on the butt. I like butterfly points but don't like that the veneers don't stay a solid color.
Other than that I like everything lol.

Playing Cue: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
J/B: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
Other cues: Some of old Palmers, Scruggs, Sugartree, Onley

Old
  (#34)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Cnc inlays that are left with rounded points. Lazy. I second the rings that dont align. Lazy.
Forearm points that are uneven such as length.
Fake ivory
Shaft not very tight when screwed on. <-- not technically appearance related but big pet peeve
Ebony that is so black its hard to see any grain.
Thick metal rings
Oversized hoppe ring
Sugar marks in upper part of shaft
Large separation at base of forearm points

Last edited by misterpoole; 06-12-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Old
  (#35)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-10-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I hate to see a blue chalk ring around the ferrule. It tells me the owner is a Borer. It doesn't bother me much on house cues, but in case I get a house cue alone, out comes the #600 and off comes the ring. No excuse on a store-bought cue.
This is actually one of the first things I check for when I play someone new. If I see their ferrule blue, I know they have not had much if any formal learning. They may be a good shooter, but I know I can out-move them most of the time.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#36)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Floating points

"Box" cues

Clovers or spears on the tips of the points

Elephant or some other weird wrap

Short ferrules

$.02

Old
  (#37)
nj82tj
The dude abides.
nj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond reputenj82tj has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Wrapless
Wood joint
Big pin (3/8x10 mod preferably)
No turquois
No bocote
Med-soft tip
Maple shaft 12.75-13mm

60" Dzuricky Custom
8’ Brunswick home table

Old
  (#38)
MmmSharp
AzB Bronze Member
MmmSharp is on a distinguished road

06-10-2019, 09:39 AM

I definitely go for the more simpler looking cues. I prefer the more natural looking cues, the ones without the extra bling, colour's decals. Predator BK series is a prime example. I like how they break, but I do not like how they are a walking advertisement.

Things I like :
-Full splice wrapless.
-simple ringwork
-if there is a wrap, I like simple ringwork above and below. i prefer the look because it has a deliberate start and end of the wrap, and doesn't looking it was carved into the cue.
- if it is a wrap, soft tanned leather, not repurposed, or printed, or glossed.

things i usually do not like (on occasion, something just works, and i like it, even if it is not something that would normally appeal to me):
- floating points
- points in the butt
- a lot of bling
- decals
- rounded points
- overly bright contrasting veneers. (white/black is ok, if it is to make the points obvious into the forearm)
- repurposed, glossy or textured wraps.
- blue ferrules - this is more a pet peeve for my equipment. i don't really care about other peoples. I like to keep mine clean.

All that said, my main player is a Cohen and flashier than i normally would be drawn to. ebony, with copper inlays and curly maple recuts (i think they are recuts). so i break a lot of my standards for my main player :P I find it the right mix, and elegant, rather than gaudy.

Not really a peeve about equipment, but i hate to see someone with nice equipment decide to play hockey with the shaft. i don't know why so many will use their shaft to move redirect balls that are moving. I see guys with high end predator cues, smashing the side of the shaft into balls. Also, i cant stand when someone smashes the butt of the cue into the floor, or uses their cue like a walking stick.

Old
  (#39)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Barbells.......

Ugh!!!!

Old
  (#40)
Pete
AzB Silver Member
Pete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond reputePete has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 11:05 AM

OK blue chalk on the ferrule.

Now I brush my chalk on yet over weeks and weeks of play my ferrule gets a blue tinge.

I thought this was from rubbing the cloth one some strokes (draw style player and pendulum stroke).

Or am I doing my chalking wrong with my brushing or is it that I don't clean my shaft and ferrule often???

Old
  (#41)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
OK blue chalk on the ferrule.

Now I brush my chalk on yet over weeks and weeks of play my ferrule gets a blue tinge.

I thought this was from rubbing the cloth one some strokes (draw style player and pendulum stroke).

Or am I doing my chalking wrong with my brushing or is it that I don't clean my shaft and ferrule often???
This is not the blue we are talking about.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#42)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Colored ferrules, ugh!
Specially those bowling ball materials.

Old
  (#43)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

06-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Personally not a fan of "flame" veneers.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#44)
jtaylor996
AzB Silver Member
jtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond reputejtaylor996 has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Rounded points, or even inlaid points that are rounded, or dotted. I think butterfly splices are lame, too.

It took me a long time to come around to the colored laminates on points, but the history of the titlist has me liking understated versions.

Non-natural materials for the grip (although my first cue had that).

Old
  (#45)
aaronataylor
AzB Bronze Member

aaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond reputeaaronataylor has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Dislikes - Rounded points, floating points and any materials which are endangered, protected or extinct (including unsustainable Rainforest wood).

Page 3 of 6 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: