new to paypal HELP

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just signed up for paypal. never used it on a site like this before. lets say im purchasing a cue and the seller says $xxx via paypal as a gift. Do I click on Send Money, Type in the sellers email, fill in amount, then, im assuming click the button that say "im sending money to friends or family". What is the most common way to sell and buy through paypal when shopping this site? im just tired of being a caveman using money orders and certified checks. Appreciate any help you guys have to offer!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
320   0   0
just signed up for paypal. never used it on a site like this before. lets say im purchasing a cue and the seller says $xxx via paypal as a gift. Do I click on Send Money, Type in the sellers email, fill in amount, then, im assuming click the button that say "im sending money to friends or family". What is the most common way to sell and buy through paypal when shopping this site? im just tired of being a caveman using money orders and certified checks. Appreciate any help you guys have to offer!

My suggestion to you would be to add the paypal percentage that the seller would be charged and forget about paying using the gift (money to family/friends) option.

the reason being that if anything were to come up in your deal where the cue wasn't as described, lost, damaged in transit, whatever, if using the gift option you will have no recourse. It will appear as though no merchandise were involved.

Just add the 3 or 4% paypal would charge him and send it as a regular payment and always use your credit card to fund such paypal purchases which will provide you with a 2nd layer of protection, just in case.

GL

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
My suggestion to you would be to add the paypal percentage that the seller would be charged and forget about paying using the gift (money to family/friends) option.

the reason being that if anything were to come up in your deal where the cue wasn't as described, lost, damaged in transit, whatever, if using the gift option you will have no recourse.

Just add the 3 or 4% paypal would charge him and send it as a regular payment and always use your credit card to fund such paypal purchases which will provide you with a 2nd layer of protection, just in case.

GL

best,
brian kc

Perfect advice. :thumbup:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0

Kickin' Chicken is absolutely correct.

Used correctly, Paypal is very safe and quick to use.

However, you need to be certain that you know the party that you are dealing with before you send a "personal payment" to "friends or family". You lose all buyer/seller protection when you carry out a transaction, if you send as "personal" payment. Personally, I prefer to simply pay the extra few dollars for a straight purchase.

Having your Paypal set up with a credit card as the primary back-up will also give you an added layer of protection, but not for a payment sent to "friends or family." When you do that, you are telling everyone that you sent some money to someone else, and that you never expected to receive any product for the money. Just pony up the extra 3-4% and get some protection for the transaction. If you use the service of Paypal, just pay for it.

Most of the folks that you deal with are trustworthy and good for the deal, no matter which way you pay..it is the few who would take advantage of another person that you need to beware of.

Best of luck,
Joe

Last edited:

poolfool1957

I know the pieces fit
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
332   0   0
I'm no fan of "gift" payments either. I do as Brian recommends....I add to the payment to cover the seller's fees and pay for the item. If it isn't worth the extra money then I don't do the deal.
Once in a great while I might do a straight up gift payment to someone here who I know I can trust. That is going to be someone I've done multiple deals with and/or someone with LOTS of I-trades combined with years of dealings here.
If someone choses to pay me via gift then that is up to them.

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ok, awesome so far guys. now this is where its gonna get funny (sort of), in a way im sure alot of men can understand. Lets say i start out by selling an item and use paypal to accept payment. without ever linking a card or bank account, can i sell items to acquire money into a paypal account for future purchases? i want to do this in a way my wife cant track my transactions. im not being 100% dishonest with her, this is just something that will save many headaches.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 98.9%
93   1   0
The advice with the credit card is spot on, for your protection. As far as not linking to cc or bank account, not sure if that can be done or not. It's probably best to go right to the source and contact paypal to be sure.

ToomnyQs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
363   0   1
ok, awesome so far guys. now this is where its gonna get funny (sort of), in a way im sure alot of men can understand. Lets say i start out by selling an item and use paypal to accept payment. without ever linking a card or bank account, can i sell items to acquire money into a paypal account for future purchases? i want to do this in a way my wife cant track my transactions. im not being 100% dishonest with her, this is just something that will save many headaches.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can open a Paypal account without attaching a funding source to it..

takeitdown

Banned
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Dont leave a paypal balance ever. If sonebody does a chargeback on you ,paypal will take your money and ask questions later.

Buy funding with CC.
Attach a bank account to transfer money to. There is no fee to transfer to a bank account. If you want a check sent, they charge you.