FOULS IN POOL ... Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video as part of my "Everything You Need to Know" series that demonstrates everything you need to know about how to identify, detect, and avoid fouls in pool. Here it is:

Topics covered (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:
- legal shot (0:21)
- double hit (3:26)
- double hit detection (5:10)
- double hit avoidance (6:57)
---- small-gap angled hit (7:01)
---- elevated cue (7:14)
---- inside vs. outside spin (7:40)
---- short bridge and stroke (8:22)
---- small-gap grip tighten (8:30)
---- highly elevated cue (8:43)
---- hand against the rail (9:08)
---- reverse stroke with cue resting on table (9:28)
---- frozen CB shots (9:52)
-------- twice-as-full aiming system (10:58)
---- elevated follow shot (11:42)
- wrong ball first (12:37)
---- watching CB motion (12:53)
---- watching OB motion (13:31)
---- 3-frozen-OB proposition (14:10)
- miscue fouls (15:59)
---- herding unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (16:47)
---- cue lift unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (17:15)
---- unsportsmanlike intentional miscue safety foul (17:38)
---- illegal "scoop" jump shot (17:55)
- push shot (18:37)
---- push past frozen ball proposition (19:37)
- Pool Rules Quiz (20:01)

Please let me know if you have any feedback, comments, or questions. Also let me know if you think I left out anything important.

I wish all league players could somehow be required to watch this video. If they did, there would probably be fewer misunderstandings, disagreements, and arguments. It always shocks me how little most league players (even many good players) know about this important stuff.

Enjoy,
Dave

PS: FYI, all of the rules and fouls in the video are based on the standard WPA World Standardized Rules (the "official rules of pool"). APA, BCAPL, and VNEA league rules deviate slightly, but not by much. A good summary of all important differences can be found here:

PS: Here's another set of important "unwritten rules:"

PS: Here are some additional videos useful for learning how to both detect and avoid fouls:

And much more information, and many more videos, can be found on the fouls resource page.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Awesome video!
Thanks.

I agree this would save a lot of arguments. I cringe thinking of all the bar players and their goofy rules and "cheating" shots :)
It is not just "bar players" who sometimes have "goofy rules" and a lack of understanding of how to detect and prevent fouls.

Regards,
Dave

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Please let me know if you have any feedback, comments, or questions. Also let me know if you think I left out anything important.

I wish all league players could somehow be required to watch this video. If they did, there would probably be fewer misunderstandings, disagreements, and arguments. It always shocks me how little most league players (even many good players) know about this important stuff.

Enjoy,
Dave

I've got a friend who is somewhat new to league pool rules. Do you have a few that stand out that people have paradigm shifting moment?

Trying to get him more aware and interested in the why and how.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've got a friend who is somewhat new to league pool rules. Do you have a few that stand out that people have paradigm shifting moment?

Trying to get him more aware and interested in the why and how.
I think the biggest paradigm-shifting learning points, for people who don't know this stuff already, are related to double hits:
- knowing to look for CB hesitation with a straight shot
- knowing to look for tangent-line motion with an angled shot
and with wrong-ball-first hits:
- knowing when to watch the CB vs. the OB, and knowing what to look for.

These points are demonstrated very well in the video here:

Please spread the word to your friend and others.

Thanks,
Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great!!!! Thanks for the time index. This outta be a sticky. Good reference stuff.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some bar bangers just cant, or won't change.
I played a new guy in Valley league. I fouled and told him he had ball-in-hand. He set the cue ball down in the kitchen. I stopped him and said "You have ball in hand anywhere on the table. He said I hate that rule and proceeded to hit out of the kitchen. He missed and I run the rest of my balls.

He just couldn't get this bar rule crap out of his head. He lasted about 1 session and I never seen him play league again.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some bar bangers just cant, or won't change.
I don't have any hope for these people, but I do have hope for the majority of league players who don't know this stuff but should. Some of them might actually want to know.

I played a new guy in Valley league. I fouled and told him he had ball-in-hand. He set the cue ball down in the kitchen. I stopped him and said "You have ball in hand anywhere on the table. He said I hate that rule and proceeded to hit out of the kitchen. He missed and I run the rest of my balls.

He just couldn't get this bar rule crap out of his head. He lasted about 1 session and I never seen him play league again.
That's unfortunate, but it's his problem ... not yours.

Regards,
Dave

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While likely not relevant to pro tournament or league play, something I haven’t seen mentioned is the venerable ‘bar rule’ (?) about not using the 8 in a combination. The local club where I sometimes play has that rule posted, but it’s even expanded to include any carom shot that involves the 8. They also insist the 8 must go in ‘clean’ (no contact with any other ball). I found it surprising how many shots I would normally choose thus end up prohibited.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to stop and say how much I love everything you do for pool. I've been taking it serious for a few years now and I still suck but I'm getting better every year. This wouldn't be the case if it weren't for your videos and tutorials.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
While likely not relevant to pro tournament or league play, something I haven’t seen mentioned is the venerable ‘bar rule’ (?) about not using the 8 in a combination.
Under the "official rules" of pool, anything goes if you hit a legal ball 1st and pocket the intended ball in the intended pocket.

The local club where I sometimes play has that rule posted, but it’s even expanded to include any carom shot that involves the 8. They also insist the 8 must go in ‘clean’ (no contact with any other ball). I found it surprising how many shots I would normally choose thus end up prohibited.
The problem with "bar rules" is they are different in every bar and in every part of the country, and they vary with the person you are playing, especially when the person has been drinking in the said bar. in other words, "bar rules" = "anything goes at the whim of the people playing."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just want to stop and say how much I love everything you do for pool.
Thank you.

I've been taking it serious for a few years now and I still suck but I'm getting better every year. This wouldn't be the case if it weren't for your videos and tutorials.
I'm glad to hear it (except for the "still suck" part).

Continued good luck with your game,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video as part of my "Everything You Need to Know" series that demonstrates everything you need to know about how to identify, detect, and avoid fouls in pool. Here it is:

Topics covered (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:
- legal shot (0:21)
- double hit (3:26)
- double hit avoidance (6:57)
---- small-gap angled hit (7:01)
---- elevated cue (7:14)
---- inside vs. outside spin (7:40)
---- short bridge and stroke (8:22)
---- small-gap grip tighten (8:30)
---- highly elevated cue (8:43)
---- hand against the rail (9:08)
---- reverse stroke with cue resting on table (9:28)
---- frozen CB shots (9:52)
-------- twice-as-full aiming system (10:58)
---- elevated follow shot (11:42)
---- watching CB motion (12:53)
---- watching OB motion (13:31)
---- 3-frozen-OB proposition (14:10)
- miscue fouls (15:59)
---- herding unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (16:47)
---- cue lift unsportsmanlike intentional miscue foul (17:15)
---- unsportsmanlike intentional miscue safety foul (17:38)
---- illegal "scoop" jump shot (17:55)
- push shot (18:37)
---- push past frozen ball proposition (19:37)
- Pool Rules Quiz (20:01)

FYI, all of the rules and fouls in the video are based on the standard WPA World Standardized Rules (the "official rules of pool"). APA, BCAPL, and VNEA league rules deviate slightly, but not by much. A good summary of all important differences can be found here:

Pedestrian

Registered
How about this ? 9 ball tourn., I played a pretty good safe. My opponent strokes with speed, misses the hit and the cue ball continues on at speed. Just as the cue ball was about to break up two balls stuck together, he grabs the cue ball and hands it to me. Obviously, this requires me to soon address those balls. That should be game as being two fouls on one shot. Correct ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about this ? 9 ball tourn., I played a pretty good safe. My opponent strokes with speed, misses the hit and the cue ball continues on at speed. Just as the cue ball was about to break up two balls stuck together, he grabs the cue ball and hands it to me. Obviously, this requires me to soon address those balls. That should be game as being two fouls on one shot. Correct ?
Two fouls on one shot are counted as one foul -- the more serious foul if they differ. If you miss the object ball and the cue ball scratches that's two fouls but only punished as one.

However, intentionally touching a ball in play is unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty for that varies, but your opponent made it impossible to complete the game properly. It should be loss of game in this case.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Two fouls on one shot are counted as one foul -- the more serious foul if they differ. If you miss the object ball and the cue ball scratches that's two fouls but only punished as one.

However, intentionally touching a ball in play is unsportsmanlike conduct. The penalty for that varies, but your opponent made it impossible to complete the game properly. It should be loss of game in this case.
As expected, Bob's answer is perfect.

Regards,
Dave

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Under the "official rules" of pool, anything goes if you hit a legal ball 1st and pocket the intended ball in the intended pocket. The 8 can be hit first when the table is open.

Really?

If the table is open, you can use a stripe to combo a solid or vice versa.

However, I imagine that most people I know would argue that after the break when the table is open the 8 ball is never a legal ball to hit first (unless all solids and/or stripes have been pocketed on the break and you are shooting the 8 ball for a win).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Really?

If the table is open, you can use a stripe to combo a solid or vice versa.

However, I imagine that most people I know would argue that after the break when the table is open the 8 ball is never a legal ball to hit first (unless all solids and/or stripes have been pocketed on the break and you are shooting the 8 ball for a win).
Agreed. I edited my post, which was wrong. Addressing the original question, the 8 can be used in a multi-ball combo, but not if it is hit first.

Only under VNEA rules are you allowed to hit the 8 first when the table is open. For more info, see:

differences among APA, BCAPL, and VNEA league rules

Thanks,
Dave