Diamond Professional owners

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
az5ve1.jpg

Some stain testing i did. the wood is oak. The table is 10y+ old and with the Uv
of the light the original dark oak stain was very dark brown wich i didnt like.
The light brown is the oak sanded down to remove the brown dark stain.
The black is the part that was treated with black leather dye :D
sounds nuts, even the pro shop called me nuts, but it is MA-GI-CAL

afterhe2.jpg

(here you can see a blind sanded down and stained with the shoe dye.
The black of ebony but the grain of oak... nicest wood ive ever seen :D)

11884098mh2.jpg

93426253tz7.jpg

2 images who dont do the table any justice... The design was inspired on black cat's
table but with my changes. Black cats is diamondwood and custom made,
i didnt had money to pay for a new one so i took the 10y old oak table i bought for 1600?.
worked 4 months on it and thats how it looks now.

i wanted a non glossy finish compared to blackcat, and i didnt want the black coloured rails ...
because i wasnt sure it would affect my play andf i also wanted to keep the oak grain on the black wood.
So instaid of just painting it black, i used an old technique cold ebonisation.
Then I know a guy at simonis (i live in belgium so it helps :D)
and i got the tournament blue cloth fresh from the factory and it was actually the second table
ever to be refinished with it :D i LOVE the new blue colour and i love my table.
wouldnt trade it for anything either. TO much love and hard work in this table.

feets where sanded on a lathe to get a new shine, every single piece hand sanded with
50-100-150-200 grid, (and to get true the 7 layer finish that diamond uses i can tell you ,
thats ALOT of sanding. my hands still hurt :D) but the result is. my unique baby diamond
at a total cost of 2000? (table, cloth, mechanic payed, restoring bill, etc all included. :D )

PS i have 0,000% experience in woodworking, staining, finishing etc.
PS2 All has been done with products that respect the environment. ( water based finish etc...)

in total: endless hours of sanding , 6 layers of shoe dye for the black parts to make it JET black, 4 layers of waterbased finish over it.

Last edited:

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Dude I've been waiting for you to post pictures, you did one Hell of a job. Much Respect, I'm glad you liked my table that much, I'm honored. If I'm ever in Belgium I'll definately be looking you up, if you come to the States please do the same. Have a great day.

Black Cat :cool:

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Black Cat 5791 said:
Dude I've been waiting for you to post pictures, you did one Hell of a job. Much Respect, I'm glad you liked my table that much, I'm honored. If I'm ever in Belgium I'll definately be looking you up, if you come to the States please do the same. Have a great day.

Hiya m8

I'm just glad i didnt f*** up the table. I'm always filled with crazy idea's, once i start them i usualy dont finish them because during the time i have 10 new idea's coming up and like i said, starting this with 0% experience was abit suacidal. i had planned 1 month, took me 4 months... explaining the lady why ever day i had off i was spending it in a basement sanding was hard.

Lucky there is Google (smartest man on the planet) and forums that have given me many many info and help.

i did got scared at a certain point. when the table was fully stained and i went to several pro shops to buy a good finish they old told me this:
shoe dye? are you nuts? why the hell did u put it on? nothing will stick to it, the finish will never grip and it will look ugly. also the products that where mentioned on the forums werent available or they never heared of it... well at the end :D ive got my baby, and having worked so many hours on it just makes it extra special. the only thing i didnt do, was bleaching the upper part. i wanted to ebonise the lowerpart, and use a 2 component bleach on the upperside. i bought the material and protection, but i just didnt risk it. the natural clear oak was SO nice, and the health and environmental risk of the bleaching was to dangerous for a noob like me, also the bleaching will give a uneven colour as its hard to controle to bleaching proces. i could end with lighter spots etc...

Thank you for posting pics of your table long time ago and to inspire me.
at the end, it all started with your picture and me being jalous :p

i really would invite others to do the same. If i can do it, everyone can !!
i had never seen a table apart, i have 0% experience in wood, finishing or any other thing.
i had the help of a wood artist , i have learned LOADS about woods, i have learned to work on a lathe,
i have learned about all the chemical reactions that can occure, all the dangers, special tricks, etc..
im wiser, stronger (thanks to the sanding) and happy.

(ps i know i promised several times to post the full story from A to Z, so others can do the same thing,
but i just dont got time :d working full time at the state, owning 2 barrs with restaurant i have to run,
websites i have to build, playing pool, keeping the wife happy, mariage, im just OVERKILLED with stuff to do.
but i WILL make a website of it, or post the story here one day ! (maybe next year ;) )

Last edited:

rogerb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, sorry I was a little late getting these posted, mine is golden oak, 860 cloth. All Austin AZ'ers welcome !!

pro1.jpg

pro2.jpg

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
How do those lights workout for you? How's the coverage? Any dark areas?

I went with the Tournament Light.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
rogerb said:
Hi, sorry I was a little late getting these posted, mine is golden oak, 860 cloth. All Austin AZ'ers welcome !!

pro1.jpg

pro2.jpg

Mine is just like this golden oak w/green 860. I have home-made light that looks a lot like a Diamond light except it's a bit larger. It has six 8f blubs while the Diamond has 4.

rogerb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The lights work out great, they are holgen (lowes), as long as you have them at the right height there are no dark spots. I just don't care for florescent light.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Solartje

Hey I have just joined the az crowd and a few weeks ago my first post was about yours and Blackcats tables I have ordered a very similar table to what you guys have. and wanted to thank you for the pics you posted as well as Blackcats. I forwarded your pics to Diamond so they could get some ideas when building mine. It is still at least 3 weeks out and thats if they can even deliver it to my location. I live in the Colorado mountains and we have got 76 inch's of snow in 13 days.:( Anyway I will try to post pics as soon as I receive it. Thanks again.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Sorry for the unhappy face at the top Im still trying to figure out this posting stuff in between snow storms.:eek:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Cuebuddy said:
Sorry for the unhappy face at the top Im still trying to figure out this posting stuff in between snow storms.:eek:

You're being polite and that's the first requirement. Welcome. :)

rogerb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in central Texas and mine was actually delayed in delivery because of snow ..in Indiana. They got hit with a major blizzard ,closed early and remained closed for a few days. Being originally from the Hudson Valley in upstate N.Y. I could sympthasize with them.

crazy8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those tables are beautiful, but if any of you ever get a chance to buy a FOX Billiard Table or even a chance to see one (mostly custom made for celebrities) you would be amazed the look and play! jmoe