I don't consider pool on a bar table to be pool

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
apparently it's boring in NPR?

Only when you're not around, Miss Pink. You're our sunshine on a cloudy day. And, when it's cold outside, you're like the month of May. Oh, oh, I guess you say, what would make us feel this way? (Our girl, our girl, our girl). Talking 'bout our girl. (our girl).
Hey, hey, hey. :)

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
Only when you're not around, Miss Pink. You're our sunshine on a cloudy day. And, when it's cold outside, you're like the month of May. Oh, oh, I guess you say, what would make us feel this way? (Our girl, our girl, our girl). Talking 'bout our girl. (our girl).
Hey, hey, hey. :)

you know, i met Terry King in Philly a long time ago. (crap! wrong group!)
dance with me anyways, you Tramp...?
;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swSytFVMHuU

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Surfer Rod beat a guy playing 1 pocket on bar table,that he wasn't suppose to beat.Its the only time I ever enjoyed sweating a 1 pocket game.He said there's different moves on a bar table,that you can't do on a big table.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my final view on the subject. World class players playing on a seven foot table is the equivalent of the New York Yankees playing on a Little League Field. That's not baseball and bar boxes aren't pool.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not at all. Just another in a long line of poor analogies used by bar box bashers to denigrate it. Anyone who uses a little logic instead of emotion and blind hatred and cynicism can see it. Half court basketball is literally half of the court taken away. Does a barbox take away two whole pockets? No. In fact, it's even done to scale. Width= half of the length.

Put this analogy in the same garbage pile as tennis/table tennis and golf/mini golf.

Classic way to try to put the old timey literal spin to an anaology because it doesn't fit the exact literal similarites of pool.
Your anger has caused you to miss the entire point of the analogy.

no bashing of seven footers at all, in fact, it was the opposite. On a seven footer, an amateur might get a chance to take out a pro. I know because I've seen it done. And likewise, in regional half court basketball tournaments, three working class guys could get a break and beat three former pros, I know because I've seen that as well.

the smaller playing field, seven footer/half court, works to level the competition, thus increasing the fun.

However, when we are talking professional sports, the full playing surface is what reigns supreme and will always be the serious standard to play the sport at it's highest level, full court/9 foot table.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I'll go even further and say that : Most Local Bar Table League "Players" ARE NOT Real Pool Players.

Don't believe me ? ... Stop by any Weds. night and decide for yourself . Just F'n Pitiful.

Last edited:

Gangplank

Registered
"Not real pool players"

So what? You sound like a jack wagon. They play pool. They have fun. It's a game & they enjoy it.

You sound like you are a "serious pool player". It's a sport to you not a game.

Maybe that's the difference.

Banks

Banned
Here's my final view on the subject. World class players playing on a seven foot table is the equivalent of the New York Yankees playing on a Little League Field. That's not baseball and bar boxes aren't pool.

So what you're saying is you want them to get rid of the outfield fence or go back to playing where they first started? Kind of like baseball, pool will be played on whatever or wherever is financially viable. It's still pool, no matter your opinion of it. Until pool gets its crap together, this will be what it is, whether pool snobs like it or not. Buy yourself a hall, get rich and put on all of the big money tournaments you want, then you can have your real pool.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
"Not real pool players"

So what? You sound like a jack wagon. They play pool. They have fun. It's a game & they enjoy it.

You sound like you are a "serious pool player". It's a sport to you not a game.

Maybe that's the difference.

Hopefully, all bar leagues are not like the only one in driving distance for me.
Yes, they play pool. However, their main purpose for being there is to get
Drunk, or get High, or Both. Pool is secondary, as they drink, toke, and snort
every night at one bar or another. Weds. just happens to be League night.

I, and my team mates are serious players. We only have six nights left in the
season and we won't be coming back again. We're just not compatible with
Bar People. It's no one's fault, just a fact of life.

Wiki says : "JackWagon" ... is a derogatory term meaning Loser.
You've been on these Forums two months and already Name Calling.

Last edited:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Mark Griffin is an icon of the game and we all appreciate his efforts but as much as I love to watch world class pool I will not be going to the pro CSI events at the Rio, although it's an easy drive for me since I live in Phoenix, because I can't stand pro level players playing on a seven foot table. To me this is a joke. The ability to shoot at distance is what separates the men from the boys. Make that 12 foot shot on the Bigfoot pal, let me see what you've got.

It's either break and run out or break and be snookered. Why is Efren not the dominate force he used to be, because it can't make the long ball anymore on a consistent basis. That's what pool is all about.

How do others feel about this? My view is 9 foot is fine, 10 foot even better.

Those two don't really mix. 9 and 10 ft tables are shooting range. 7 ft is war.

I'll explain it in detail. On 9 footers, and especially 10 footers, there are much less obstacles between the CB, the OB and the pocket. It's about being very accurate and making the distance, while placing the CB on the best spot to repeat the process with the next OB.

Just like on a military shooting range, targets are popping up in the distance, and you have to spot them and deliver that perfect shot. Sure, sometimes you do have to move around, cross a hill, climb over rocks, but in the end it's the best shooter with the highest score. A person who is capable of putting a target down from a distance and getting a quick aim at the next one.

In war, tactics, orientation and prediction come first, aiming and shooting skills are second, and luck can sometimes outweigh both. You can't win a battle by exercising your shooting capabilities. Most often the enemy will be behind an obstacle and well dug-in in cover, and if you miss the whole enemy squad will know you're there and change positions.

The goal is to stay safe and steadily maneuver around those obstacles, flank the targets and engage them at close range, where you can't miss. Sometimes, when you're hard pressed, you have no choice but to forget the book and charge in blindly, hoping for the best outcome. There's also artillery at your disposal, which, if used right, can completely shatter the enemy positions and leave them vulnerable, but if your timing is wrong, they may dig in even deeper.

I hope you understand the analogy.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those two don't really mix. 9 and 10 ft tables are shooting range. 7 ft is war.

I'll explain it in detail. On 9 footers, and especially 10 footers, there are much less obstacles between the CB, the OB and the pocket. It's about being very accurate and making the distance, while placing the CB on the best spot to repeat the process with the next OB.

Just like on a military shooting range, targets are popping up in the distance, and you have to spot them and deliver that perfect shot. Sure, sometimes you do have to move around, cross a hill, climb over rocks, but in the end it's the best shooter with the highest score. A person who is capable of putting a target down from a distance and getting a quick aim at the next one.

In war, tactics, orientation and prediction come first, aiming and shooting skills are second, and luck can sometimes outweigh both. You can't win a battle by exercising your shooting capabilities. Most often the enemy will be behind an obstacle and well dug-in in cover, and if you miss the whole enemy squad will know you're there and change positions.

The goal is to stay safe and steadily maneuver around those obstacles, flank the targets and engage them at close range, where you can't miss. Sometimes, when you're hard pressed, you have no choice but to forget the book and charge in blindly, hoping for the best outcome. There's also artillery at your disposal, which, if used right, can completely shatter the enemy positions and leave them vulnerable, but if your timing is wrong, they may dig in even deeper.

I hope you understand the analogy.

I understand your analogy. It can be applied word for word to a 9 footer. The big difference is you can really let your stroke out on a 9 footer. Get whitey moving in a way that is impossible on a 7 footer. Long range ballistics, if you want to keep the "war" analogy going, which I don't quite understand. I have recently played 8 and 9 ball tournaments on both 8 and 9 footers and I have to tell you, if all I had to play on were 7 footers, I wouldn't play as much. A lot of my passion for the game would subside. I'm sorry but in my humble opinion pool should be played on 9 footers.

Gangplank

Registered
Hopefully, all bar leagues are not like the only one in driving distance for me.
Yes, they play pool. However, their main purpose for being there is to get
Drunk, or get High, or Both. Pool is secondary, as they drink, toke, and snort
every night at one bar or another. Weds. just happens to be League night.

I, and my team mates are serious players. We only have six nights left in the
season and we won't be coming back again. We're just not compatible with
Bar People. It's no one's fault, just a fact of life.

Wiki says : "JackWagon" ... is a derogatory term meaning Loser.
You've been on these Forums two months and already Name Calling.

Didn't mean it in a derogatory way or as an insult. I intended it as a shorthand way of saying your original statement was so polarizing it "sounded" foolish. Perhaps it was intended to polarize and divide. Some people play pool for fun. If you don't like bar tables don't play on them or don't go watch people play on them.

Don't get me wrong the opinion is appreciated but I'm sure some people appreciate being able to play pool in a bar and on a coin op sized table. Maybe it's not "pro" pool but it's still pool.

Maybe it's the difference between a hobby (bar league) and professional (pool hall big table league).

Oh and unban dictionary probably has a less offensive definition of slang terms:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jack+wagon

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If those players went to tournaments, paid for streams, then yes, they would help a lot towards having a pro tour. There was a post a while back about how during a major league championship they have top pros in the world playing, with FREE admission and the stands were pretty much empty.

Someone also had the idea that the leagues should take a portion of the money they get in and funnel that into the pro tour, actually create one. Seems like a good idea to me, an extra $1 or 2 a night for league is what, a million dollars a week if all the league members the leagues say they have play. I think a million a week would fund a pretty good pro tour. Now THAT would be supporting pool.

Why should my league money, that goes back into our prize pool, go into a professional tournament. That is the silliest thing I've ever heard. When I play in baseball & softball leagues, we don't kick any cash upstairs, this isn't the mafia ;)

We support pool because we buy the products, cues, tables, balls, chalk, tips, and go to our local room and drink beer and rent tables. The pro's, sponsors and pool product manufacturers need to figure all that out, because that is way above our pay grade and quite frankly, not in our job description.

Pro pool players and sponsors need to work on their side of the house. League players spend MOST of the money in the pool businesses, so pardon us, if we can't also save pro pool too :wink:

Last edited:

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I understand your analogy. It can be applied word for word to a 9 footer. The big difference is you can really let your stroke out on a 9 footer. Get whitey moving in a way that is impossible on a 7 footer. Long range ballistics, if you want to keep the "war" analogy going, which I don't quite understand. I have recently played 8 and 9 ball tournaments on both 8 and 9 footers and I have to tell you, if all I had to play on were 7 footers, I wouldn't play as much. A lot of my passion for the game would subside. I'm sorry but in my humble opinion pool should be played on 9 footers.

And I'm not saying it shouldn't be. I say it should be played in all its versions and on all table sizes. I'm personally a fan of 7 footers. 9 ft tables are too open for me, although I still enjoy playing on them. I actually started learning and playing the game on a 6 footer, which is too small and crammed. 7 ft is perfectly in between..

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I'll watch on any table. I was just watching some amateur 7' matches this morning. With that said though, I REALLY PREFER 9' pro matches. My home table is 9' too.
Remember hearing Willie call 9' tables "puddle jumpers" once! Haha
Maybe that's a good term for bar boxes nowadays.....??

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My comment was that WORLD CLASS PLAYERS should not be playing on 7-foot tables. I don't care what ball bangers play on, if it makes them feel good while getting drunk and trying to get laid, that's fine. Personally, I don't drink, so I never go to bars as what would be the point. I learned to play pool at Jimmy Mario's Golden Cue in Bridgeville, PA. from Jimmy. I love and respect the game of pool which took me years to get good at, just as I do golf, which is a very similar game that also required a ton of effort on my part to get good at. I took both games very seriously.

Playing pool in bars is a pastime which fills the empty space between trying to hit on chicks and your next round. Playing pool in a pool hall is an avocation. You are there to play pool as there isn't anything else to divide your attention from the game. While I was growing up it was illegal for a pool hall in Pennsylvania to serve alcohol. BEST LAW EVER.

Pool is dead. I understand that. The only pool left is bar box garbage. Yes, that seems to be the case. I accept that. BUT, forcing the most accomplished golfers to play an executive golf course or the best pool players in the world to play on a bar box is just wrong.

You don't see any of this happening anywhere else in the world do you? Ever seen any matches on YouTube between world class players in Europe or Asia happening on bar boxes?