Help me choose, please!

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I appreciate all the good feedback. I've been taking it in and researching more options online. I will try to answer painfullyslow's questions here to clarify my preferences and priorities.

First and foremost I am looking for a shooter. I don't intend to accumulate a stable of cues, only one good one. (Later on I might get a break cue or a sneaky pete for when I go out to places where you wouldn't dare let an expensive cue out of your sight, but that's not what I'm looking for now.) Secondly, I want one that is aesthetically pleasing and connects with my sensibilities (no skull and crossbones). My career was in design, so I don't go for gimmickry. Third, I want to feel good about it's heritage––whether a manufacturer or individual builder, integrity and reputation are always going to affect how I feel about the cue.

Some people have suggested an inexpensive plain jane or sneaky pete and saving my money. That's the fallback solution if I don't find one that motivates me to open my checkbook. As far as budget goes, the $750 I mentioned is not a hard limit, just a general target. I have since figured out that a lot of really nice cues are squeezed in just under the one grand price point––list $1200, on sale for $960. That works for me if I really like what they're offering. As I said, it needs to feel congruent on more than one level.

I am not interested in LD. That's a whole can of worms that I just don't care to get into. I think a really sweet-shooting (feel, sound, etc.) solid maple is more my style. It would be nice to have the option to specify a 30" shaft, or 30-30, since I am over 6' with long arms and often find myself holding the end of the butt. I'm taking my tape measure the next time I go to hit balls––the ones (house sticks) that seem too short may actually be short. And 19 1/2 oz is my preferred weight. I don't have much experience with various tips, but I'm thinking something on the soft side.

The Schon LTD202 is one that I find attractive, and generally meets my overall preferences. I'm going to make a call and see if it's possible to get some customization on the shaft. I don't care for the way they market these as limited runs, and then make them by the hundreds with tiny variations, but uniqueness is not a high priority so I can overlook the marketing shell game I guess. I do want something that will hold value in case I don't love it and want to try again.

Again, I appreciate all the great advice and suggestions.

I have just the cue for you.

A 60" (30" shaft/30" butt) white ebony Merry Widow custom-made by Mike Gulyassy (former professional player...played on back-to-back Mosconi Cup teams...builds Earl Strickland's cues).

It is a PHX model butt and shaft (SPT taper) and has a black Spanish bull wrap. I think it is 19 or 19.5 ounces. There is no weight bolt in this cue or metal. I has a G-10 pin.

And, since you say you hold further back on the butt, this cue's wrap extends further back on the butt than most cues.

I also changed the tip to an Ultra-skin black soft layered tip.

This is his website:

http://www.gulyassycues.com/

The cue can be seen at my thread below:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=496061

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello! This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a few years. I want to buy a cue, and living in the boonies I don't have opportunity to test drive.

I used to play quite a bit 25 years ago. I was decent at the local level and won a league tournament once. I had a custom-stock McDermott Cocobolo that I bought at their facility in Milwaukee. I didn't know much then (nor do I now relative to most people here), so I specked things that in time I realized were mistakes. Anyway, that stick escaped in the course of a divorce. I want to get back to enjoying the game, and a cue that I enjoy will be key, of course.

I've read and browsed but nothing seems to particularly jump out at me. Budget is perhaps $750 if it grabs me, but if I'm lukewarm I'd rather spend less and just get a plane jane that plays well. My taste is conservative. I like nice wood, linen wrap, classic design, and I want a respected brand. The Joss N7 Color of Money cue appeals aesthetically, but I don't like that it's merely similar and not a replica. And I suspect that I'd be paying more for the association than the build (but not sure). My playing style is about touch and speed control, top and bottom, not much side... so I want a cue that has great feel, a soft/solid hit (is that a contradiction?). Which makers have a reputation for consistently building that type of hit quality into every cue? What ferrule and tip should I look for? I'm also open to used, but it's risky buying sight unseen, and I have no way of determining value. Probably not interested in LD, solid wood shaft suites me.

Given my particulars, what would you suggest? Thanks- hope that's enough and not too much.

For your budget it will probably be impossible to pick a cue without trying it since every brand is available to you, including many custom cue makers. 20 people can give you 120 different ideas about what to buy if you include shafts and tip combinations to pick from.

You can buy both a McDermott and a Joss to play with for your budget, especially if you buy used, then decide what to keep, or keep both.

For $750 I may go with a lower end US made McDermott if new with a few aftermarket shafts, Players HXT shaft for an easy to handle LD shaft, maybe Predator or OB along with that.

Question though, since there are no real rooms by you to play in, I am guessing you have a table at home now to play on? Or are you just hankering for a cue? Seems like a high budget if you won't be out playing regularly with others.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For your budget it will probably be impossible to pick a cue without trying it since every brand is available to you, including many custom cue makers. 20 people can give you 120 different ideas about what to buy if you include shafts and tip combinations to pick from.

You can buy both a McDermott and a Joss to play with for your budget, especially if you buy used, then decide what to keep, or keep both.

For $750 I may go with a lower end US made McDermott if new with a few aftermarket shafts, Players HXT shaft for an easy to handle LD shaft, maybe Predator or OB along with that.

Question though, since there are no real rooms by you to play in, I am guessing you have a table at home now to play on? Or are you just hankering for a cue? Seems like a high budget if you won't be out playing regularly with others.

Are those cues readily available at 60 inches or can they be specially ordered?

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you said you didn't want low deflection, but if I was looking for a cue with that budget, but couldn't test drive it, I would get a Cuetech Cynergy.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you said you didn't want low deflection, but if I was looking for a cue with that budget, but couldn't test drive it, I would get a Cuetech Cynergy.

If I were going to get a cue in the $1000 price range with a carbon fiber shaft, I'd just buy a "Natural Born Naked" BECUE with a carbon fiber butt and shaft.

Y'all keep talking about cues that aren't 60 inches, which he mentioned that he may prefer over a 58 inch cue.

Salparadise

Registered

My thinking evolves with every bit of new data. I may or may not choose precisely what a particular poster recommends, but all the responses help inform my ability to make a good choice. Shooting with a lot of different sticks isn't going to happen––even if I were in a place where there were a bunch, what am I going to do... walk up to a guy in the middle of his game and say, hey, can I shoot a rack with your stick? That kind of experience could only happen over time. When someone on here says this stick hits as good as any, I make note of it and add it to my list.

My skill level doesn't justify it either, but the pleasure of having my own decent cue will be great. So yea, I guess you could say I'm just hankering. I don't have a "real" room nearby, but that rec center that I mentioned has 15 well-maintained, older Brunswick tables, plus there are plenty of bars, restaurants, and beer joints that have tables. It's sad that real pool rooms have become scarce, but I still enjoy playing. I did have a table in my home in the 90's when I was at the peak of interest and skill, but I mostly had to frequent beer joints to find a game.

I'm going to make a few calls and investigate ordering a custom, incl one maker that has been recommended here.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
For many years I was against buying any production cues because I thought they were all garbage compared to custom. But not the case any longer.

I recently bought a Pechauer simply based on what they are doing for pool. They support the juniors and future of pool like no other. Felt the need to make a purchase from them for sure.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I were going to get a cue in the $1000 price range with a carbon fiber shaft, I'd just buy a "Natural Born Naked" BECUE with a carbon fiber butt and shaft.

Y'all keep talking about cues that aren't 60 inches, which he mentioned that he may prefer over a 58 inch cue.
My player is a Predator (Roadline, I think) with a Revo 12.4 shaft. I play with a Molinari 8" extension on the butt end. You can get an extension in pretty much any length you want.

Salparadise

Registered
Thank you all for the great info and suggestions. I wanted to update the thread and give you all the conclusion.

I called Dave Brainard at CuesDirectly and placed an order for one of his custom cues. Dave was wonderful to work with. I received my cue in the estimated time, and the workmanship is exemplary. I couldn't be happier. Thank you, Dave.

I haven't been able to play with it yet because of the lockdown, but based on what others have said about his cues, and the craftsmanship that is visible, I'm confident that it will feel great.

What I have is the 60 inch length I wanted (a priority), beautiful curly maple butt with ivory cap, joint, and ferrule, and double copper rings set in black. Wrap is linen, white with brown fleck. Black bumper, soft tip. Shaft is tight, straight grain maple. Pro taper, 12.75mm. So light, natural colors with copper/black accents.

I'm very pleased, and appreciative to Dave and those who suggested that I talk to him before buying. Oh yea, I spent less than half of the budget I originally had in mind. Perfect!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Thanks for the update...sounds like you made a good choice. May you enjoy the cue for years to come...once this damned virus thing is over.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Southwest Virginia, there are two in Bristol.

Well, it depends on how you define "pool room." There is a college rec center very near, but it's all college kids mostly poking around with house sticks. I doubt there would be an opportunity to try out good cues. They do run an APA league out of there though. There is a "room" about 50 miles away but it's kind of a dump with non-serious people hanging out. They might have some real action late nights but it's a long way to drive, and they probably don't come out until past my bedtime :grin: Then there is Greenleafs in Richmond (200 mi), which I actually visited a few weeks ago. There weren't any real players at the time I was there (early on a Saturday evening), but I'm sure they must have good players frequenting there at times.

When I was a kid there was a REAL pool room underneath the theatre in my little town. We'd go in there and watch some serious pool, and some of those guys were like wizards with a cue. We saw fights and gambling and you name it. There was a back room where older men played cards, and there was a button under the counter so that when the police walked in they could get the money off the table. The police were just socializing though––they didn't want to cause any trouble. Pool was a dime a game, and when you finished you yelled RACK and tossed a dime on the table, and the old black man (no disrespect) would come and rack your balls for you. I started going in there when I was 12-13. If my parents had found out they'd have grounded me til I turned 40. I feel lucky to have experienced a bit of real pool room culture in the late 60s.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post a THREAD in the WANTED SECTION, ask for a Preowned Cue, Joss or McDermott is a good Cue.

Then spend the money for Mark OTTO's (2) DVD SET, master 90% of what he teaches, and you will be a great player.

https://www.teachmepool.com/Products.htm

I found a nice McDermott D series cue for $75 dollars at a local pawn shop. Flipped it for a Madison Bob sneaky. flipped the Madison Bob for a Woodworth.

For a McDermott or Joss I'd check the local pawn shops. Might even find a nice custom.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for the great info and suggestions. I wanted to update the thread and give you all the conclusion.

I called Dave Brainard at CuesDirectly and placed an order for one of his custom cues. Dave was wonderful to work with. I received my cue in the estimated time, and the workmanship is exemplary. I couldn't be happier. Thank you, Dave.

I haven't been able to play with it yet because of the lockdown, but based on what others have said about his cues, and the craftsmanship that is visible, I'm confident that it will feel great.

What I have is the 60 inch length I wanted (a priority), beautiful curly maple butt with ivory cap, joint, and ferrule, and double copper rings set in black. Wrap is linen, white with brown fleck. Black bumper, soft tip. Shaft is tight, straight grain maple. Pro taper, 12.75mm. So light, natural colors with copper/black accents.

I'm very pleased, and appreciative to Dave and those who suggested that I talk to him before buying. Oh yea, I spent less than half of the budget I originally had in mind. Perfect!

Thanks very much for the kind words, they mean a little extra these days.

Funny thing is? I had no idea this was you during the build, I recall seeing this thread but did not put it together until seeing this.

The shaft and all of my shafts are just as you described.

Under the wrap is always very important and in this case its straight grain curly maple, customer wanted Maple there and got the best Maple I had. I always send a picture to the customer before the wrap goes on, it's good for the customer to know what was covered up.

Thanks again, Dave.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

awesome..congrats on the cue!
dave's got a great rep here
I myself have not yet had the pleasure
but I would love to get a hit in with his work
enjoy your acquisition and if you can, post some pics!
before it ends up blue, I mean:thumbup:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
without pics, it never happened... :grin:

op, you did good to get your cue from Dave. His shaft wood alone is worth what he charges for a cue.

Enjoy and do please post a pic or two...

best,
brian kc

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
without pics, it never happened... :grin:

op, you did good to get your cue from Dave. His shaft wood alone is worth what he charges for a cue.

Enjoy and do please post a pic or two...

best,
brian kc

OK, here it is before the wrap.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Jackpot Cues are great!

WHY would you do this?

Dean has had enough and I will defend him at this point, never before but I will now.

DELETE YOUR CRAP and I will delete any reference to it at that time.

Thanks, good day.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello! This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a few years. I want to buy a cue, and living in the boonies I don't have opportunity to test drive.

I used to play quite a bit 25 years ago. I was decent at the local level and won a league tournament once. I had a custom-stock McDermott Cocobolo that I bought at their facility in Milwaukee. I didn't know much then (nor do I now relative to most people here), so I specked things that in time I realized were mistakes. Anyway, that stick escaped in the course of a divorce. I want to get back to enjoying the game, and a cue that I enjoy will be key, of course.

I've read and browsed but nothing seems to particularly jump out at me. Budget is perhaps $750 if it grabs me, but if I'm lukewarm I'd rather spend less and just get a plane jane that plays well. My taste is conservative. I like nice wood, linen wrap, classic design, and I want a respected brand. The Joss N7 Color of Money cue appeals aesthetically, but I don't like that it's merely similar and not a replica. And I suspect that I'd be paying more for the association than the build (but not sure). My playing style is about touch and speed control, top and bottom, not much side... so I want a cue that has great feel, a soft/solid hit (is that a contradiction?). Which makers have a reputation for consistently building that type of hit quality into every cue? What ferrule and tip should I look for? I'm also open to used, but it's risky buying sight unseen, and I have no way of determining value. Probably not interested in LD, solid wood shaft suites me.

Given my particulars, what would you suggest? Thanks- hope that's enough and not too much.

If you are going the production route...Mezz. Period.