Espiritu vs Schon

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just wanna know who people think makes a better cue. I am a Espiritu fan myself. I have seen some Espiritus that blow a lot of Schons out of the water and hit even better. I also think that Espiritus are reasonably priced compared to a schon. Let me hear sum of your thoughts.

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
i hear before he started mass producing shafts espiritu cues were pretty good.
well what year did he start mass producing them? I know my friend Matt has an 03 and it plays really well. The shaft is not too stiff not 2 whippy.

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i hate to sound like i'm on the 'old schon vs. new schon' bandwagon, but IMO older schon's play lights out - i can honestly say i haven't played w/ a bad one. BUT..on the other hand, i've played w/ some newer ones and they just aren't the same...to me they kind of a hollow feel if that makes any sense:eek: . i haven't played w/ an espiritu so i can't really give my .02 on that one, but you can never go wrong w/ an old schon if you get our hands on one :rolleyes:. hope that kinda sorta helps...

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macneilb said:
i hate to sound like i'm on the 'old schon vs. new schon' bandwagon, but IMO older schon's play lights out - i can honestly say i haven't played w/ a bad one. BUT..on the other hand, i've played w/ some newer ones and they just aren't the same...to me they kind of a hollow feel if that makes any sense:eek: . i haven't played w/ an espiritu so i can't really give my .02 on that one, but you can never go wrong w/ an old schon if you get our hands on one :rolleyes:. hope that kinda sorta helps...
I would really have 2 agree with you. I think the older Schons are sum of the best hitting cues out there. I had 2 use my brothers last week because the tip on my shaft was being repaired and it play great. Now my friend Rich has a newer one and it is way more expensive than my brothers and is very nice, but i would rather play with my brothers old c4 than that one. You can clearly tell the difference between the generations.

BPG24

Banned
Schon's are a weird bunch. I have owned some that played very well (mostly older ones) and some that i thought played awful. The newer ones really seem to throw the ball offline alot. Maybe it's just me.

Only played with 2 Espiritu's and they were consistant in the way they played. I could get used to it if I needed to.

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
Schon's are a weird bunch. I have owned some that played very well (mostly older ones) and some that i thought played awful. The newer ones really seem to throw the ball offline alot. Maybe it's just me.

Only played with 2 Espiritu's and they were consistant in the way they played. I could get used to it if I needed to.
i felt the same way about the espiritus i have played with 4 or 5 different ones. They all seemed 2 hit really consistant. An older lady in my town had one, my wifes mom has one, and my friend matt has one and they all played really well. They all had that real crisp hit.

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old S-14 Schon from 1981 that is the bomb. The old ones are magic. I've had mixed results with the new Schons. The new Schons are balanced a little different than the old S and R Series. I like a little weight in the back of the cue where the new ones are more middle weighted. Does that make sense? Plus the old shafts are amazing.
I haven't played with an Espiritu but I've played with a bunch of high end cues. I'm sticking with my old Schon.

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Runde Schon's ...

The old Runde era Schon cues were better because when Bob Runde was one of the partners, all of the cue parts were made in house. Bob made sure all the parts were the quality he required before putting them in the cue. New Schon cues have different parts that are not all made "in house", hence the difference in quality of hit.

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can certainly agree with what everyone is saying about the old vs new schons. There is a really distinct difference in the way they play. How bout sum comments about the Espiritus does anyone have any?

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
I have played with both and prefer the Espiritu.....I have yet to hit with a bad one.. I had one I won in a raffle in Vegas worth $1200.00.....After two years my scotch doubles partner who kept begging me to sell it to her finally convinced me...I sold it for $700 to her and she is the girl Noel who plays in a wheelchair and won the Open Women's singles in Vegas this year.
Not trying to say it was the cue but she loves it. She ordered and has another Espiritu and has just ordered another from Russ..
I honestly loved the cue and it won me lots of money but in a weak moment I sold it to her and have been sorry since....
Not saying I don't like the Schons...Just like the Espiritu more....

Purdman

Banned
More Bang For The Buck

I have owned and sold 13 of Russ's cues. Bought seven in 1999 and six in 2001. I was a dealer and played with a $300 one myself. Most of the other ones retailed over $1,000. I honestly think you get more cue for the money with Espiritu's. I have never played with a Schon other than hit a few balls. Here is my favorite.
Peace, Purdman :smile:

Last edited:

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Im reallly enjoy the feedback that I am getting from everyone. I am a big fan of Espiritu and will be making my 1st purchase from him next week. I have never owned 1 b4 but have played with alot of his cues. I have nothin against Schons though but whenever i have played with 1 there was always something missin from the newer ones. At any rate I apreciate every1 taking the time 2 share there opinions with me.

Purdman

Banned
Org. Creole said:
Well Im reallly enjoy the feedback that I am getting from everyone. I am a big fan of Espiritu and will be making my 1st purchase from him next week. I have never owned 1 b4 but have played with alot of his cues. I have nothin against Schons though but whenever i have played with 1 there was always something missin from the newer ones. At any rate I apreciate every1 taking the time 2 share there opinions with me.

Post a picture in the Cue Gallery when you have it. I would love to see it.
Peace, Purdman :)

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well it probably wont be finished still late september but as soon as i get it I will put it up

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I've never had a chance to try an Espiritu cue, but I got to look at a bunch of them when they used to set up a booth at the US Open. The cues I saw look like you get a lot for the money, but I don't know how they play since I've never hit a ball with one.

I've owned and played with a bunch of Schon cues from the Runde era Schons to the newer cues. I've never had one that I didn't like playing with and I have a wrapless Schon now that I play with sometimes that I like.

Because of supply and demand it's hard to sell a nice Schon for a good price since there are so many of them on the market.

James

Org. Creole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SCCues said:
I've never had a chance to try an Espiritu cue, but I got to look at a bunch of them when they used to set up a booth at the US Open. The cues I saw look like you get a lot for the money, but I don't know how they play since I've never hit a ball with one.

I've owned and played with a bunch of Schon cues from the Runde era Schons to the newer cues. I've never had one that I didn't like playing with and I have a wrapless Schon now that I play with sometimes that I like.

Because of supply and demand it's hard to sell a nice Schon for a good price since there are so many of them on the market.

James
If I could describe the hit of an espiritu in 1 word it would be Crisp. They are great cues and if you ever got your hands on one I doubt you would have anything to say bad about them. I am really happy that i finally decided to break down and have one made for me. The only bad part about this is I gotta wait 2 get it. Its gonna b excruciating.