Reload this Page Where's the line????
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Where's the line????
Old
  (#1)
poolbiz420
Inked Up!
poolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 725

Where's the line???? - 03-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Just curious if anybody knows where the line is between having "heart" and being plain stupid?? There is a guy in the pool room that has been playing a much better player from the Detroit area and loseing much cash. The spot really does not favor the home town player but he keeps playing him with the same spot. All of us at the pool room know he cannot win, but he keeps playing him. So does the guy have "heart" or is it stupidity? Just lookin' for people's opinion.

Old
  (#2)
CaptainJR
Shiver me timbers.
CaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbiz420
Just curious if anybody knows where the line is between having "heart" and being plain stupid?? There is a guy in the pool room that has been playing a much better player from the Detroit area and loseing much cash. The spot really does not favor the home town player but he keeps playing him with the same spot. All of us at the pool room know he cannot win, but he keeps playing him. So does the guy have "heart" or is it stupidity? Just lookin' for people's opinion.
I hope people think I just have heart when I always play the best around and refuse any spot they might offer. It's a learning thing and with a spot I would have no gage for judging improvement.

All in all, I guess I'm stupid. LOL

CaptJR
Avast Ya Scurvy Scum. Swab the deck! Walk the plank. Dead men tell no tales. Where's me Rum!

Old
  (#3)
poolbiz420
Inked Up!
poolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond reputepoolbiz420 has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2005, 11:47 AM

I understand what you are saying but do you lose big cash when you do it? It seems that he could get the bet down a little

Old
  (#4)
bruin70
don't wannabe M0DERATOR
bruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond reputebruin70 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
if he doesn't learn, he's stupid.

Old
  (#5)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-14-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
There's a difference between stepping up and getting robbed.

Chris

Old
  (#6)
poolbiz420
Inked Up!

03-14-2005, 02:12 PM

I can get top players around here to play $10 or $20 a set but this guy is betting $50 - $100 sets and you just can't get it through his head, we all try to look out for each other in the pool room but this guy just won't listen to any of us???? I don't get it. I also think it's called getting robbed!

Old
  (#7)
CaptainJR
Shiver me timbers.
CaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

03-14-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I can get top players around here to play $10 or $20 a set but this guy is betting $50 - $100 sets and you just can't get it through his head, we all try to look out for each other in the pool room but this guy just won't listen to any of us???? I don't get it. I also think it's called getting robbed!
I guess I'm not stupid after all. No, when I'm playing someone I know I can't beat, I don't bet big. There isn't anyone around here that is going to give me a big spot anyway. I think they might play a small game with me knowing that, yes they are going to win, but I'm not going to be a complete slouch. I'm going to make them play. I'm a cheap pushover. LOL

CaptJR
Avast Ya Scurvy Scum. Swab the deck! Walk the plank. Dead men tell no tales. Where's me Rum!

Old
  (#8)
The Kiss
AzB Silver Member
The Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond reputeThe Kiss has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2005, 02:35 PM

That fine line is found right in the wallet..Will this guy play other local guys for the same money??...I think the algerbriac formula looks like this...

fool and his money soon part X 1/2bx2* Oblivious to what going on* No realistic concept of his own game...

I am always on the lookout for this type of person

This goes on in the Macho world of pool all the time..I play pretty solid but I will always work people for a spot..Why would'nt you??? but I will readily give up weight if the guy needs it....And if a guy is hammering me with a certain spot I'll tell him straight out I need more weight

Old
  (#9)
scottycoyote
AzB Silver Member
scottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond reputescottycoyote has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2005, 03:13 PM

yeah he just sounds self-deulsional and stupid lol

i know a player here....was what i called a good solid player but a lousy gambler......betting was all about testosterone for him, if youre not willing to take a bet you aint got heart, always looking to double up and triple up. One night it got the best of him, when i found myself playing him for the title to his truck against 800 on a race to 5. He kept upping the bet after each loss, and kept letting him in an attempt to get even (i consider him a friend). I was actually glad i lost the last race, the last thing i wanted was this guys truck.
its like that line in color of money.....pools about brains and balls and you got too much of one and not enough of the other.

Old
  (#10)
Rickw
AzB Silver Member
Rickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond repute

03-14-2005, 03:30 PM

There are a lot of people that would love to find the answer to this thread's question! A friend of mine and I were walking out of a ph and another friend is walking in. The guy coming in tells us he just joined a 12-step program for gambling anonymous. He was practically in tears telling us how he's lost everything to gambling and the friend I was walking out with asks him, "I'll bet you $20 you don't stop gambling!" All three of us started laughing so hard we almost fell down!

Rick W.

Old
  (#11)
onepocketchump

vCash:

03-14-2005, 03:37 PM

I don't know but I cross it all the time!

John

Old
  (#12)
onepocketchump

vCash:

03-14-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
He has TOO MUCH heart. In the old days - at least so I hear - players used to play more than once, they would try several times to beat someone before adjusting. Nowadays, it seems as though almost no one will even TRY a set even when matching up. It's pathetic.

So your friend is either completely stupid or he is trying to get better so he can BUST you all. I will almost always try someone even unless I am SURE that they are out of my league and then I don't want to get a spot because I want to win even. I would prefer to play for low stakes even and get drilled than win for bigger stakes with a spot. But I ain't completely stupid either. I have taken spots and won with no remorse.

So, sometimes it's heart and sometimes it's stupidity and sometimes it's the same thing.

John

Old
  (#13)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

03-14-2005, 03:55 PM

Stupid is as Stupid does- Forrest Gump!

Old
  (#14)
poolbiz420
Inked Up!

03-15-2005, 06:23 AM

Like I had said before the better players around town don't mind playing "cheaper" sets with us so we can judge or progress and learn and improve. I'm in the middle when it comes to players in town and i'll jump up and play the bigger guys even but i'm not putting up my morgage. What's nice is that the players under me like to do the same thing so it kind of works out.

You guys have had great opinions on this thread thanks for joining in and responding.

Old
  (#15)
Celtic
AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Celtic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-15-2005, 07:17 AM

I was playing one of the top players in Calgary $20 races to 9 straight up for the heck of it. Abit of trash talking got started and I got into a match for $50 with him but I got a 2 game spot because once the money leaves the realm of "cheap and friendly" sets the pro level player is going to elevate his game way up and I am not a 50/50 bet with this guy playing even races to 9.

There is definately a line between heart and plain stupidity. I played another guy in my home town a couple sets and beat him for $50 and got the usual line "well the money was not enough to interest me, lets play for $200 if you want my REAL game". Now this is a guy that is NOT rich, $50 means something to him and the $200 he asked to play for was all the cash he had on him in the bank and his pockets combined so that fact that he couold sluff off $50 sets I offered to him all night long (since I had only $170 at the time on me and as a 60/40 favorite to beat the guy in sets IMO I did not want to take only one shot at the cash incase he has one hot set and breaks me, the guy can put a 5 pack out there on a good day. in multiple sets I am a huge favorite, in one set it gets alot closer to a 50/50 bet though and I like to have the edge when I gamble). This is a guy though that will go into a poker club on pay day and lose every penny in his pocket and have to scrimp and save the rest of the week, so heart or stupidity? You tell me. I dont think I lack heart for not flipping a coin with this guy for our bankrolls although if he were on this thread he sure would see it differently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: