Anyone else allergic to wool ?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Kind of a weird thread but here goes. A friend of mine came over today to see my new table. I have been playing this guy for near 25 years and and everything is normal when he puts his bridge hand down on the 860 Simonis and he immediately picks it back up and asks if the cloth *****s me also? I said no thinking he was kidding. I couldn't help but notice he was in discomfort and he compared it to the real fine needles around the big spikes of a cactus. I figured he had something in his skin and continued to kick his a$$. later I was telling him about Simonis and their wool and nylon blend and he said that he is allergic to wool and we started wondering if it had anything to do with the sensation in his hand. My question is has any one else ever experienced anything like this?:confused:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I have started to get that feeling from time to time. I just put on a glove, and then it doesn't bother me anymore.

I prefer to play without the glove, though, but the last year I have been playing most of the time with it.

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gotta love the automatic censorship!

Cuebuddy said:
Kind of a weird thread but here goes. A friend of mine came over today to see my new table. I have been playing this guy for near 25 years and and everything is normal when he puts his bridge hand down on the 860 Simonis and he immediately picks it back up and asks if the cloth *****s me also? I said no thinking he was kidding. I couldn't help but notice he was in discomfort and he compared it to the real fine needles around the big spikes of a cactus. I figured he had something in his skin and continued to kick his a$$. later I was telling him about Simonis and their wool and nylon blend and he said that he is allergic to wool and we started wondering if it had anything to do with the sensation in his hand. My question is has any one else ever experienced anything like this?:confused:

When I saw the asterisks in your post I didn't get what the word was supposed to be, until I read further and saw the cactus reference. I had to laugh. The word PRI?K is too offensive to type in this forum, even if you don't mean it as an insult.

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone being allergic to the cloth, but I'm going to put this in my file of "1,001 excuses to uses when you lose a match" (and believe me, I use 'em all!)

blueridge

Banned
worldison2 said:
When I saw the asterisks in your post I didn't get what the word was supposed to be, until I read further and saw the cactus reference. I had to laugh. The word PRI?K is too offensive to type in this forum, even if you don't mean it as an insult.

Apparently, in this forum, pr!cking your finger is the same thing as fingering your pr!ck.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am allergic to wool and have other allergies but never experienced a problem with whatever cloth covered a pool table - if you feel this is an allergy then go to an allergist and they can give you a test - as for that remark that it is an excuse to lose a match the individual may in fact be extremely allergic - some people can have severe allergic reactions while others only have a mild reaction.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
worldison2 said:

I found that interesting and I learned something. I guess I should of used a different verbiage. And you did good figuring out what all those asterisks meant.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I am not allergic to wool, but i do have sensitive skin.

I do have allergic reactions sometimes to stuff that people use to clean the tables with.

In particular, when i used to go to larger events, and they had some guy promoting his table cleaning product, and in between matches, or in the middle of one, they would make an announcement about the product, and you'd see all eyes on the guy who squirted the foam all over the surface of the table, and then cleaned the table with his squeegee thing.

Whatever was in that foam, burned the crap out of my hand like it was acid.
My hand would have all these blisters on whatever part of it touched the table surface for longer periods of time.

It got to the point where whenever i played in an event that had that stuff being used, i would put on a glove to minimize the contact, to prevent the blisters and craters that formed as a result.

So now, whenever i ever get a reaction on my hand at some particular place, and i start to ask questions, i usually find out that at some time in the recent past, someone used that stuff or something similar on the table.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
SUPERSTAR said:
I am not allergic to wool, but i do have sensitive skin.

I do have allergic reactions sometimes to stuff that people use to clean the tables with.

In particular, when i used to go to larger events, and they had some guy promoting his table cleaning product, and in between matches, or in the middle of one, they would make an announcement about the product, and you'd see all eyes on the guy who squirted the foam all over the surface of the table, and then cleaned the table with his squeegee thing.

Whatever was in that foam, burned the crap out of my hand like it was acid.

My hand would have all these blisters on whatever part of it touched the table surface for longer periods of time.

It got to the point where whenever i played in an event that had that stuff being used, i would put on a glove to minimize the contact, to prevent the blisters and craters that formed as a result.

So now, whenever i ever get a reaction on my hand at some particular place, and i start to ask questions, i usually find out that at some time in the recent past, someone used that stuff or something similar on the table.
The human body and the chemistry associated with it is truly amazing. There is a antibiotic out there that when I take it I would loose my sense of smell. This drug was wonderful when my children were in diapers:grin-square: :grin-square: