Is Cocobolo a good material for pool cue? and Why?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
No functional reason for it to be considered bad...and if you like dark woods, cocobolo is among the most gorgeous.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo is a very good wood imo in cues. Not only does it look good but it is fairly easy to work with. It has a great hit to it. And the figure that you can get in some pieces are just amazing. I have one that is almost finished and you will see what I am talking about when it comes to figure. Take a look in the cue gallery under cues in progress and you can see the forearm of the one I am talking about.

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Doug, you sure do manage to get some sweet cocobolo.
I'm looking forward to seeing that one when it's finished.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Coco

something that wasn't mentioned is the density of Cocobolo makes it a good wood for cues.

Calgaryplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo is a very good wood imo in cues. Not only does it look good but it is fairly easy to work with. It has a great hit to it. And the figure that you can get in some pieces are just amazing. I have one that is almost finished and you will see what I am talking about when it comes to figure. Take a look in the cue gallery under cues in progress and you can see the forearm of the one I am talking about.

what the beautiful cues are!!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
something that wasn't mentioned is the density of Cocobolo makes it a good wood for cues.

This is what I would have said, also. There are some cue makers who won't work with this wood due to the dust from it being quite toxic, I'm told.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
I know of a couple of cuemakers that wont work with Cocobolo....I also know of 2 cuemakers that wont work with purpleheart because they are allergic to it.

I am not a huge fan of Cocobolo, but its has a super high figure to it, then I like it. Heck, I dont like any wood that doesnt have alot of figure to it...

And by the way...Doug Patrick has some amazing wood! :thumbup:

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
I know of a couple of cuemakers that wont work with Cocobolo....I also know of 2 cuemakers that wont work with purpleheart because they are allergic to it.

I am not a huge fan of Cocobolo, but its has a super high figure to it, then I like it. Heck, I dont like any wood that doesnt have alot of figure to it...

And by the way...Doug Patrick has some amazing wood! :thumbup:

Paul Mottey told me a funny story once. Paul would not work with cocobolo due to an allergy but he had a friend who was a woodworker who loved the stuff. He made all sorts of stuff out of cocobolo for around his home. He even made a cocobolo toilet seat. As some of you probably know, allergy to cocobolo is kind of like poison ivy and like poison ivy, you can be ok with it one day(not be affected by it in any noticable way) and the next be highly allergic. This was the case with Pauls buddy who noticed a large ring of inflamed skin on his ass one day and his Doc confirmed he was allergic to cocobolo.

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Paul Mottey told me a funny story once. Paul would not work with cocobolo due to an allergy but he had a friend who was a woodworker who loved the stuff. He made all sorts of stuff out of cocobolo for around his home. He even made a cocobolo toilet seat. As some of you probably know, allergy to cocobolo is kind of like poison ivy and like poison ivy, you can be ok with it one day(not be affected by it in any noticable way) and the next be highly allergic. This was the case with Pauls buddy who noticed a large ring of inflamed skin on his ass one day and his Doc confirmed he was allergic to cocobolo.

What a way to find out your allergic to cocobolo.....that just chaps my azz..:thumbup:

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
figure this

The reason it's a good wood for cues is it's weight/ density/ stiffness.
It's very close to ebony which is the best wood for points.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was the case with Pauls buddy who noticed a large ring of inflamed skin on his ass one day and his Doc confirmed he was allergic to cocobolo.

Did the guy's wife buy that explanation? When I was in the Navy we went to Mombasa Kenya once and a few of the guys came down with that. Or was it Hong Kong? I can't remember for sure it's been a while. I forget what the doctor called it but I'm sure it wasn't cocobolo.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry Franklin told me his two favorite woods for hit were cocobolo and pau ferro (both are rosewoods). And since Jerry made the best hitting cues I've ever experienced, I think he knew of what he spoke.