This winters project...

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy dropped of a few books last night......

Winning One Pocket

Shots Moves and Strategies

3 Cusion Billiards

Seems I have my work cut out this winter getting thru these books. For those of you that have the first 2.....which one should I start with? I'll save the last one for last! :)

G.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Both of the one pocket books are excellent, although many of the shots are taken from early accu-stats matches you may already have. Lot of shots from the Legends tourneys in the early nineties from Bugs, Cook, etc...

The three cushion book has a bunch of good stuff, and a bunch of scratch your head wtf material. I've heard some excellent players say many of the diagrams are either trick shots or don't work at all the way they are shown.

If you are a 3-C player, I'd recommend Byrne's first two books, Bill Smiths new position book, and the Walt Harris books before the Eddie Robin book.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both of the one pocket books are excellent, although many of the shots are taken from early accu-stats matches you may already have. Lot of shots from the Legends tourneys in the early nineties from Bugs, Cook, etc...

The three cushion book has a bunch of good stuff, and a bunch of scratch your head wtf material. I've heard some excellent players say many of the diagrams are either trick shots or don't work at all the way they are shown.

If you are a 3-C player, I'd recommend Byrne's first two books, Bill Smiths new position book, and the Walt Harris books before the Eddie Robin book.

BG-

Can you tell us the titles of these two Byrne's books? Are they appropriate for beginners?

Thanks

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking I'll wait to read the 3c book til I get a billiard table here at home. If I start reading it now I'll want to go try the shots :)

I've heard so much about the one pocket books....I'm looking forward to working thru them. Right now I play a VERY aggressive style.....kind of like Scott Frost, so a new perspective will hgelp me out I'm sure.

G.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking I'll wait to read the 3c book til I get a billiard table here at home. If I start reading it now I'll want to go try the shots :)

I've heard so much about the one pocket books....I'm looking forward to working thru them. Right now I play a VERY aggressive style.....kind of like Scott Frost, so a new perspective will hgelp me out I'm sure.

G.
Unfortunately...

Them books can't tell you which shot you are shooting when you get to the table!

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
BG-

Can you tell us the titles of these two Byrne's books? Are they appropriate for beginners?

Thanks

Robert Byrne's first two books are his "Standard" book on pool, and his "Advanced Technique" in billiards. You can get the old version of the first one for 8 cents not including shipping on Amazon apparently lol.

Without question, they are the best books for a beginner in my mind. The diagrams and explanations of different shots and basic systems are enough to keep anyone busy for a year or two. After that, players can decide if the want to learn number systems for shots, focus more on position play,etc...

The hardest things for beginners to do is to see the correct shot...people stare at the table for two minutes and shoot the wrong shot. Any pool player with a good stroke and memory can study Byrne's books and be a decent player in a few months.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robert Byrne's first two books are his "Standard" book on pool, and his "Advanced Technique" in billiards. You can get the old version of the first one for 8 cents not including shipping on Amazon apparently lol.

Without question, they are the best books for a beginner in my mind. The diagrams and explanations of different shots and basic systems are enough to keep anyone busy for a year or two. After that, players can decide if the want to learn number systems for shots, focus more on position play,etc...

The hardest things for beginners to do is to see the correct shot...people stare at the table for two minutes and shoot the wrong shot. Any pool player with a good stroke and memory can study Byrne's books and be a decent player in a few months.

BG-

Thanks for the info.

Take care.