How would your rank your own 9/10-ball skill level?

How would you rank your own 9/10-ball skill level?

• A+

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • A

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • A-

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • B+

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • B

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • B-

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • C+

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • C

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • C-

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • D+

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • D-

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious: it'd be interesting to see how the shooters on AZ fall under these ranking categories... I figured a poll would be better so not everyone has to post what they think! Personally, I've only been shooting for a little over two years and I'm breaking through into the 'B' range, understanding position and able to string two racks together occasionally, but still not so great with other aspects of my game!

Use the following criteria to "rate" yourself:

10-2 A+ Top professional. World class player. Capable of winning major professional tournaments. Almost always finishes in the money in any tournament entered.

10-1 A Professional, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning local open tournaments. Usually finishes in the money in regional tournaments.

10 A- Semi-pro, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning or placing high in the money in local open tournaments.

9 B+ Advanced. Very good position play, strategy and consistency. Top league player. Consistent competitor in local open tournaments.

8 B Advanced. Good position play, strategy and consistency. Good league player. Competitive in local open tournaments.

7 B- Intermediate. Fair amount of knowledge and experience, but inconsistent in execution. Average league player.

6 C+ Intermediate. Has learned quite a few shots, but has a lot to learn about position play and strategy. Inconsistent.

5 C Novice. Has a grasp of the fundamentals, but does not know much about the physics of the game. Lower-level league player.

4 C- Novice. Very basic knowledge of the fundamentals. Knows almost nothing about position play. Lowest-level tournament player.

3 D+ Novice. Knows little about the fundamentals, but might know a couple of shots. Average social player.

2 D Novice. May not know anything about the fundamentals or making shots. Non-competitive.

1 D- Novice. Knows nothing about the game except maybe a few rules of play.

Last edited:

swisslife77

....let me play....
Silver Member
According your scale, I would say B here!
Looking for B+

Finishing top 10 in local opens ( 15-45 players)
Never won a major, but can compete with anybody in my country!
Say that country is small( Switzerland) 7 million people and just 160 "players" that constantly compete for titles.
First in ranking is also European n 1 Jungo!
But of course, can't win against him! ;-)

Here btw I feel medium-average player, nothing special and little chances to win majors.....so far!

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My guess is A-. Some of the people I've bested called me an A+. From time to time I've also played like a B or less. Think you missed one category though. Where is "Banger"? Been accused of that as well :eek:!

Lyn

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Using your criteria, I would be B-, since I'm an average league player around here.

Somehow, I expect that I don't measure that high, in reality.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious: it'd be interesting to see how the shooters on AZ fall under these ranking categories... I figured a poll would be better so not everyone has to post what they think! Personally, I've only been shooting for a little over two years and I'm breaking through into the 'B' range, understanding position and able to string two racks together occasionally, but still not so great with other aspects of my game!

Use the following criteria to "rate" yourself:

10-2 A+ Top professional. World class player. Capable of winning major professional tournaments. Almost always finishes in the money in any tournament entered.

10-1 A Professional, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning local open tournaments. Usually finishes in the money in regional tournaments.

10 A- Semi-pro, or player possessing professional skills. Capable of winning or placing high in the money in local open tournaments.

9 B+ Advanced. Very good position play, strategy and consistency. Top league player. Consistent competitor in local open tournaments.

8 B Advanced. Good position play, strategy and consistency. Good league player. Competitive in local open tournaments.

7 B- Intermediate. Fair amount of knowledge and experience, but inconsistent in execution. Average league player.

6 C+ Intermediate. Has learned quite a few shots, but has a lot to learn about position play and strategy. Inconsistent.

5 C Novice. Has a grasp of the fundamentals, but does not know much about the physics of the game. Lower-level league player.

4 C- Novice. Very basic knowledge of the fundamentals. Knows almost nothing about position play. Lowest-level tournament player.

3 D+ Novice. Knows little about the fundamentals, but might know a couple of shots. Average social player.

2 D Novice. May not know anything about the fundamentals or making shots. Non-competitive.

1 D- Novice. Knows nothing about the game except maybe a few rules of play.

Guess I should have read before my vote. Between B- to B (on the weak side.

I go by this moreso:

In a 9-Ball Tournament race to 7

Dec.1997 "All About Pool" magazine, article by Bob Cambell
Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack
-average run is about 3 balls
-with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, one out of 3 times
-rarely plays a successful safe

C-Player
-will probably run one rack, but usually not more than one
-avg. run is 3 to 5 balls
-with ball in hand, will get out from the 7, two out of 3 times
-mixed results when playing safe
-inning ends due to botched position, missed shot or attempting a safe.

B-Player
-Able to run 1 to 3 racks
-avg. run is 5-7 balls
-with ball in hand will get out from the 5, 2 out of 3 times
-most of the time a "B" player will play a "safety" which maybe hit easily 2 out of 3 times
-a typical inning will end with a missed shot, a fair safety, or a won game

A-Player
-will string 2 to 3 racks
-avg. ball run, 7-9
-with ball in hand, will be out from the 3 ball, 2 out of 3 times
-typical inning will end with a well executed safety or a win.

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls
-string racks together more than once in a match
-is a threat to run out from every ball, from every position, every inning
-typical inning will end in excellent safety or win

Me on an average night a good C , on a great night I hit mid B range

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
According to Bob Campbell's Handicap ranking I'm a C.

C-Player

On your poll list I'm a B-.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I go by this moreso:

Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack

C-Player

B-Player
-avg. run is 5-7 balls
-most of the time a "B" player will play a "safety" which maybe hit easily 2 out of 3 times

A-Player
-avg. ball run, 7-9

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls

I made the same mistake (answering the poll without reading the rating scale). On the scale used for this poll, I'm probably somewhere in the B range rather than A-, because I definitely don't consider myself "semi-pro". I bet we're not the only ones, so the poll results may be skewed a bit on the high side. Around here, I would get beat fairly soundly in an open tournament, but I haven't seen one of those in a while. Most of the tournaments here are handicapped, and the scale usually goes from C on up. I think the GSBT goes to AA, but I've seen a tournament go as high as AAAA (Earl). On that scale, I'm a good B or weak A player.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rating systems are usually pretty odd... I've seen a lot where the hurdle from "C+" to "B" was very big, and some people never really get past it.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I have a question for you.... Since you know me and my game what would you have me rated?? I think most think they play better than they do so I am curios. Don't worry I won't take offense to what you say :cool:

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey JJ...

According to the description and what I've seen I'd put you right in at B+, but based off of what you've said, your knowledge of the game, and where you've been, I'd say you're right between that B+/A- range, just have to work hard to be that consistent "semi-pro" :)

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Ahaha very good! I polled as a -A so you're right on the money especially since I don't play that much anymore. If I didn't work two jobs, have 4 kids, 2 car payments and CC bills I could devote more time to be an -A. Tbh with everything going on I don't mind at all being a solid +B :)

TheThaiger

Banned

I go by this moreso:

Handicap rankings

D- Player
-will not run a rack

C-Player

B-Player
-avg. run is 5-7 balls

A-Player
-avg. ball run, 7-9

OPEN-Players
-average 8+ balls

I'd say that classification is fairly tough.

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
I really think that there should be a separate section in forums for these "poll" types of threads.. there are so many of 'em, and most of the time they serve no real useful purpose. (no offense to OP).

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A- most of the time.I find even if I don't play for a few months
I can give most top level players a hard time.I've always
tryed to be a grinder.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'm all over the board here. Some nights I can get out from anywhere and maybe string a rack or two. On others I'm a 4-5 ball inning player. Consistency is a *****.