Who's From Greenville, SC?

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Hey! I just got notified that I will be spending June in Greenville, SC for some training.

Anybody up there that wants to bang the balls around and that can show me the good billiard spots and good places to eat?

Last edited:

BillYards

Silver Member
Hmmmm.... Maybe Greenville/Spartanburg is a billiard black hole.....

I once played a one-armed shooter in NC that was fairly good. I wacked him out playing 8-ball one-handed (not jack-up) but it was a fight.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be happy to show you around Greenville pool rooms. There are actually quite a few nice rooms in the area. Give me a shout when you are nearing arrival.

BillYards

Silver Member
Thanks, Ted... I will do that! I think I will be up there starting on June 5th...

Will be glad to meet you!

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be my pleasure. I look forward to it. You don't happen to play straight pool, do you?

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Your one armed man from NC may of been "Brush" from Charlotte. He used to play out of Bankers. His real name was Mcmanus or something close. He'd bet it up if he liked his side. He played near APA 7 speed. Wouldn't beat any real players, but could more than hold his own against most room regulars. He always bridged using the table brush. Quite impressive that he could play at the level he did.

BillYards

Silver Member
Varney: Not sure if it is the same guy... It was back in the 1990's. This guy owned a small, tough, two-table joint south of Laurinburg, NC... I would have been scared to go there, 'cept it was during the afternoon.

Ted: Straight pool is not my best game (but what really is? Haha!), but I would certainly enjoy ANY table time that can be had, regardless of what we play. I think I can hold my own as long as you don't rip me for too many 50+ ball runs...

Looks like I will be working at the Fluor offices (on Fluor Drive), east of the airport, less than a mile from Palace Billiards... I am not sure where my Hotel will be, but I suspect it will be close to Fluor.

Last edited:

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Shannon Daulton and Gulyassy are having a big 8 ball tourney at Palace Billiards toward the end of the month. If you are still in town then you might check that out. I would say being only a mile from Palace Billiards you will be there frequently. If my schedule works out I might be there as well.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BillYards said:
Ted: Straight pool is not my best game (but what really is? Haha!), but I would certainly enjoy ANY table time that can be had, regardless of what we play. I think I can hold my own as long as you don't rip me for too many 50+ ball runs...

Looks like I will be working at the Fluor offices (on Fluor Drive), east of the airport, less than a mile from Palace Billiards... I am not sure where my Hotel will be, but I suspect it will be close to Fluor.

Perfect! The Palace is one of my two favorite pool rooms in Greenville. The other is only about a mile or two from The Palace; it's called Sporty's now, though most know it by its former name, Gametime.

As for games, I play all games, but I've been starved for someone to play straight pool with--"Straight pool? What's that?"

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Ktown D; can you give me some dates and time on the 8 ball tourny they are to have??? as i would like to attend, THANKS STICK

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
stick8 said:
Hi Ktown D; can you give me some dates and time on the 8 ball tourny they are to have??? as i would like to attend, THANKS STICK
I just checked the flyer that Shannon gave me and the Greeneville tournament is actually July 15-16. His other 3 tournaments that are scheduled are in June. I will post particulars in the Tounament Discussion forum.

BillYards

Silver Member
I am still on track for flying up there in two weeks... Got a meeting regarding that today at 2:00, but I am certain the training is a go...

Guess I can get trained at work and trained at the pool hall in one trip! Haha!

Should be fun! Look forward to meeting you guys.

One requirement: I hafta eat some good Southern Bar-B-Q right away when I get there... So think of the best place... not looking for the smothered in thick sauce stuff... looking for the vinegar/Tabasco type....

Also need to get some quality Mexican food, Schlotsky's Deli (Smoked Turkey Ruben on that killer dark bread), and great pizza. Maybe some Thai food! Yeah!

Man, sounds like I have been starving down here, huh?

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
Hey BillYards,

I live in Greenville as well. Hopefully I can meet you and Ted out a time or two while you are in town. I haven't been out much in Greenville lately. I need to get around and say hello to everyone.

Keep us posted on your arrival.

Mike

BillYards

Silver Member
Oh, good news! I just found out that my trip up there has been delayed for a month, which means I should be there for the Palace Billiards tournament.

I also found out that this trip is not a sure thing, but is based on us getting the nod from one of the head cheeses.

So... trip to Salt Lake City first (June 21-27)... then on to Greenville in July.

I will let you guys know as it approaches.