TAR Podcast for TAR 38 with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo This Thursday

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
11949938325_6e14feefae_o.jpg

TAR 38 Podcast this Thursday night at 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific with Darren Appleton and Dennis Orcollo live in the studio to answer your questions. I'm going try and get the commentators for TAR 38 Jay Helfert and Robert LeBlanc to sit in as well.

If you have any questions for the players post them up and I will do my best to get to them Thursday night. TAR 38 match begins Friday at 8PM E/5PM P with One Pocket race to 7. The podcast will be live at www.theactionreport.com .

Match info and scheduling is here.

Links to purchase the match are here.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin,

I think this question (in some form or another) has been asked before, but I am interested to know what Darren and Dennis think was most useful in causing their game to improve once they had reached the level of an accomplished amateur.

I think the most common answer I get to this question is that good players try and stay in action with better players. I would like know if they agree, or was there something else, which helped to polish their game.

Thank you for soliciting our questions.

kollegedave

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Can you ask Darren if he will be giving Dennis a ride back to LA afterward??? :D

Can you ask them what their personal thoughts are on the state of pro pool for the next year?

Since the American Pro Pool scene seems to be thin this next year, what are they planning to do, to keep in influx of money?

I would also like to know if either value a legacy in the pool world. Do they care what us common folk will think of them when they are Efren's age?

What did each think of the China Open? (If either of them were there. I don't remember.)

Where is there favorite place to play? Town, pool hall, & table if possible?

Can you ask Darren and Dennis to play a quick frame of Bonus Ball? I'd like to clock Dennis's speed. I might be recruiting for a future expansion team. I think Dennis could make the cut! :cool:

Thanks Justin!!!

Last edited:

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
I have a few questions :-
1). Who gave Darren the nickname "dynamite" ??
3). Does Dennis have a nickname ??
4). Is there any shot that they find most difficult to execute ? for example shooting a deep cut or a ball frozen to rail or shooting a shot when cue is elevated ?
5). Thoughts on jump cues ??
6). Are they both using low deflection shaft ??
7). What is their favorite game to play ?
8). Whats the biggest spot they have given to their opponent and still came out as a winner ?
9). What's the longest session of pool (gamble / practice) they have played without getting any sleep ?
10). To Darren, is he living in US now ?
11). What table size they prefer ? 9ft or the bar box ? or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks to Justin for doing this.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
To either player:

Will you win the match?
And
What do you feel is your strength on the table
And
What do you feel is your opponents weakness

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few questions :-
1). Who gave Darren the nickname "dynamite" ??
3). Does Dennis have a nickname ??
4). Is there any shot that they find most difficult to execute ? for example shooting a deep cut or a ball frozen to rail or shooting a shot when cue is elevated ?
5). Thoughts on jump cues ??
6). Are they both using low deflection shaft ??
7). What is their favorite game to play ?
8). Whats the biggest spot they have given to their opponent and still came out as a winner ?
9). What's the longest session of pool (gamble / practice) they have played without getting any sleep ?
10). To Darren, is he living in US now ?
11). What table size they prefer ? 9ft or the bar box ? or it doesn't matter ?

Thanks to Justin for doing this.

Dennis' nickname is Robocop

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Dennis' nickname is Robocop

I thought it was "King Kong"?

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that to. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Dennis's nick name as far as I could tell is Robocop. Why do they call him Robocop? (I assume because he shoots like a robot and never misses, but you never know.)

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that too. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Dennis's nick name as far as I could tell is Robocop. Why do they call him Robocop? (I assume because he shoots like a robot and never misses, but you never know.)

The King Kong story is that there is a player in LA called King Kong (Bernardo Chavez is I think his name. LA people help me out here).

The way Shane tells the story he walked up to him and said "Hey King Kong wanna play Godzilla?"

One of my favorite SVB stories.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Do they like the 10' table matches?

How much or how often do they practice these days, for how long at a time, and how do they practice?

Other than each other, who do they like to play the most, and why?

As others have said, thanks for doing these podcasts, Justin, and thanks to the players and everyone else who participated. This is really good stuff...

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Robert Leblanc and Jay Helfert will be in the house for the podcast as well so if anyone has any questions for them I will ask them.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Edit:

That was a different guy Shane said that to. not sure why I thought Dennis O.

Yes, like j.c. Said.
King Kong is Bernardo Chaves nickname.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Right before a match what do the players like to do to warm up if it's like the first match of the day and they feel they need to take a few minutes to get in stroke before they play?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see a what's in the case with a look at their cues and what kind of tips they have on their playing and break cues and what other goodies they carry with them to play this kind of match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
ask dennis what he felt when he first fought Efren and lost 25-8.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
* * * how much does Darren use SEE aiming system (he promotes one) - is it on every shot, or maybe some thin cuts only, or certain cut shots? I means he's been hittin'em pretty good already by the time Ekkes introduced his aiming system.

* * *which tip does Dennis Orcollo use now? Heard it used to be ZAN at one moment. But I know he also tried some other brands.

* * *the story is that Dennis' last name is Orcullo but it spells Orcollo because of some passport mistake. Why didn't he just change the papers?

* * *please ask Daz to show some more good drills for improving a) shotmaking and b) cue ball positioning. Last time he was there with Shaw and Alcano, it was a treasurous advice from him. With a couple of drills only.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This thread deserves a bump with the podcast being tonight. Also, are they both going to Derby and going to play in the banks? What do they think about bank pool?

prad

Flip the coin
Silver Member
More questions :-
1). What is the best advise they ever got regarding pool ?
2). Did they ever had an pool idol in their early days ? or may be they still have one ?
3). Now they have 10 ft table, may be next there will be 11ft. ? where is the stopping point ? why don't play pool on the snooker table ? What's their opinion on increasing the table size ?
4). When playing shape do they prefer to do it with English on the cue ball or they would rather play center ball ? For example I think earl likes to spin the cue ball, what do you guys like ?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is their favorite pool hall to play at or place to play? anywhere in the world.