How to improve your mental game.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Here's an idea for improving your ability to deal with distractions at the table: If you have children that are ranging in age from 18 months to 4 years let them in the room with you at your "home" table. After practicing for an hour and having my 3 year old daughter run around the table while singing the theme to barney no amount of sharking at the pool hall can hurt me.

metallicarokerx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good idea

i just listen to my ipod while im playing that way i cant hear the annoying music on the jukebox and i usualy play better and have a better stroke while listening to good music and you wont be able to hear anyone trying to talk bad about you or talk you out of your game

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Your suggestion reminds me of one of my house rules : "You must play the dog where he lies". My old Golden Retriever enjoys company around the pool table , and will plop down in the most inconvenient spot sometimes ... chasing him away in not allowed. It makes for some interesting footwork ! Between Chester, too much furniture, and a wall a bit too close to the table, I have a variety of stances and strokes that have served me well in crowded bars and pool halls.

BTW, after that much Barney your brain just goes numb, which is often a good way to shoot pool ... maybe that tune should be running through your head every time you play pool ... 'I love you, you love me, we're a haaaaapy family' :D

Dave, just sharking some forum members :p and hopefully not himself :eek:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
You know that's funny, but there is a lot of truth in your idea. I typically play in the campus poolroom where there are distractions abound. Bangers doing all sorts of stupid things, loud music, little kids, guys and their girlfriends playing who don't know any etiquette. I've gotten so used to all of the distractions I can tune them out at will, and it lets you get used to backing off of shots and waiting when you need to.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at times i will be listening to Marty Brenneman broadcasting the Cincinnati Reds on the radio in my pool room in my garage. at times i really believe i miss shots and screw up position because i am also trying to listen to Marty and see what he has to say about the game.

guess i should concentrate more. dont know why though, even if i did i would get a bad roll and hose up the runout...........

DCP

DaveK

Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
guess i should concentrate more. dont know why though, even if i did i would get a bad roll and hose up the runout...........

Sheesh man, you're a walking self-fulfilling prophecy !

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
DaveK said:
Your suggestion reminds me of one of my house rules : "You must play the dog where he lies". My old Golden Retriever enjoys company around the pool table , and will plop down in the most inconvenient spot sometimes ... chasing him away in not allowed. It makes for some interesting footwork !

Sadly this rule is no longer needed in my basement.

Dave

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
DaveK said:

Dave

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Great Dane, Molly, last year, along with one of my cats. My Amanda, who's 13 will not be with me much longer. My wife and I don't have any children, so we spoil our pets. They're our favorite thing in the world besides each other. So, I can feel for your loss

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
metallicarokerx said:
good idea

i just listen to my ipod while im playing that way i cant hear the annoying music on the jukebox and i usualy play better and have a better stroke while listening to good music and you wont be able to hear anyone trying to talk bad about you or talk you out of your game

I've always wanted to try this, as i like my music, but i can listen to anything so the jukebox doesn't really bother me. Vivian practices while listening to music so yeah i might try this.

I know you shouldn't worry about anything except the table. But a crowd that is watching me, can sometimes get to me. There is this one place on my Tuesday night leagues. The place is so small, and the hottest spot in the town, and its always hopping on Tuesdays. So there are alot of people who are over their limit, people dancing, there is alot of comotion going on and usually a crowd watching you play. I like the fact people are interested in the game, but to me it seems that everyone's eyes are on me when i am up. Don't get me wrong i ain't trying to brag its just a feeling that i get, as all the matches are watched. I can purdy much block out the machanism of people bumping into you while over your shot, etc... but i find it has helped with my mental game. As i just play my game and don't try to impress anyone. But the eyes that watch can mess up someones game or raise it. As alot of the first time players that reach the Final table, either must get comfortable really fast as your opponent might be the one who is use to the lights, camera action.

Edit: a cat that likes to go downstairs everytime someone goes downstairs and raise total kaos can also improve mental game LOL.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
DaveK said:

Dave

Very sorry to hear that. I know the feeling all too well. I know I'm gonna go through it all again one day with our current two (one of which is my avatar.)