Arthritis and Jumping

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For those of you that have Arthritis and are having problems using a jump cue, the arthritis in your shoulders is probably your problem. A Doctor friend of my wife’s visited with us last night. We got to talking about jump cues and that I couldn’t use them very well at all. After I showed the Doctor a video of someone jumping and he listened to the instructions, he said that is my problem. I don’t have anywhere enough ROM in my joints to use the jump cue right. What really pissed me off was that after he watched the video he went out to the table and was jumping balls better than me in less than a half hour. He said he played pool maybe 5 times in his life. Johnnyt

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
For those of you that have Arthritis and are having problems using a jump cue, the arthritis in your shoulders is probably your problem. A Doctor friend of my wife’s visited with us last night. We got to talking about jump cues and that I couldn’t use them very well at all. After I showed the Doctor a video of someone jumping and he listened to the instructions, he said that is my problem. I don’t have anywhere enough ROM in my joints to use the jump cue right. What really pissed me off was that after he watched the video he went out to the table and was jumping balls better than me in less than a half hour. He said he played pool maybe 5 times in his life. Johnnyt

Johnny;

There may be some hope for you and your jumping game.

I love my Lomax jumper and it's my 1st choice, however, I have occasional tendonitis that flares up in my shoulders and when it's acting up, the 'normal' jumping position will kill my shoulder.

A perfect plan b is the Jacoby jumper with the dart groove. These cues are high quality and can get whitey up in a hurry with minimal effort and in the darting position your shoulder will be much happier. :thumbup:

worth a shot, so to speak. :cool:

GL

best,
brian kc

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Johnny;

I love my Lomax jumper and it's my 1st choice, however, I have occasional tendonitis that flares up in my shoulders and when it's acting up, the 'normal' jumping position will kill my shoulder.

A perfect plan b is the Jacoby jumper with the dart groove. These cues are high quality and can get whitey up in a hurry with minimal effort and in the darting position your shoulder will be much happier. :thumbup:

GL

best,
brian kc

AS a former jumper and a new jumper-wanna-be-again, I concur.

I was watching Dave Pearson show many players how to do the dart jump thingy a couple weeks ago at the state tourney. I had the perfect angle to see what he was doing. So, I come home and tried it. Yuk, I suck!

There was no shoulder movement that I could see, so you might try that.

Back to the table,

Jeff Livingston

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Johnny;

I even bought that piece of metal with the grove
GL

best,
brian kc

I can dart jump OK, but not great. I feel somewhat better knowing it's a health related reason that I can't jump well. I'm embarrassed about all the things I bought trying to jump well. 5 jump cues, video, watched and read everything I could find on jumping. I even bought that piece of metal with the V-groove in it. Johnnyt

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old White men can't jump. That's me too. I have resorted to the dart method with lots of warm up strokes.

mr8ball

Because of my back I have used the dart Jump style for years. I love it. it takes a while to get used to it. I use the Jacoby jump cue.

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I'm guessing that I'm in a younger age category than a couple of you but I can tell you that even with diminished shoulder movement it may be possible for you to jump with the correct cue. I'm a big fan of Jacoby but I recently bought a Predator Air 2 and it requires very, very minimal effort to send the ball flying. I figure since it has an extended handle you may be able to put your arm in a better position for this particular stroke.

RBC

Deceased
Johnny;

GL

best,
brian kc

Brian

The Jacoby jumper is a great cue, as is the Lomax.

You do know that it's just as easy to dart with the Lomax, right? The groove is neat and kind of cool, but not really necessary. I'd much rather be the one to determine where to grip the cue than be compelled to always hold it in one spot.

As for the dart method, it's very useful and makes many jump shots easier to get over the interfering ball. I do find it more difficult to aim successfully though.

Royce

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
Brian

As for the dart method, it's very useful and makes many jump shots easier to get over the interfering ball. I do find it more difficult to aim successfully though.

Royce

I have had the same experience with the dart method. I am able to get the ball up very well but I find that the aim is just not as good as an underhand jump shot.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Johnny;

GL

best,
brian kc
I have the same problem (tendinitis in my right shoulder) so I use the dart method to jump balls and it works pretty well after you get the feel of it.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I have had the same experience with the dart method. I am able to get the ball up very well but I find that the aim is just not as good as an underhand jump shot.

I keep hitting the left side of the cb, no matter how hard I try not to.

I started using my right eye to see the shot, but that didn't help much. The ball jumps fine but goes left and then the spin takes it even farther left. I don't even get the squirt to the right...wtf?

How hard can it be??? I feel like a beginner.

Jeff Livingston

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I can dart jump OK, but not great. I feel somewhat better knowing it's a health related reason that I can't jump well. I'm embarrassed about all the things I bought trying to jump well. 5 jump cues, video, watched and read everything I could find on jumping. I even bought that piece of metal with the V-groove in it. Johnnyt

You guys... always looking for a silver bullet. sigh.....

JoeyA

flash5153

none
Silver Member
I use a Cannon jump cue. It works great. I jump pretty well but I have notice some people cannot jump by hitting down on the cue. They can't move that way ,,like you say.
But most of them can jump good using the dart method.

I have a hard time controlling the cue with the dart method and prefer the other way. But when close to a ball ,,I feel sometimes I am about to break my arm with the stroke needed to jump that ball! LOL And I have hurt my arm before trying it ,when that close ,,,,and holding the cue at such a steep angle.