Opinions on the Joss JN-7

mr.d.scottie

Keep calm and abide..
Hey all! :) I've been searching for someone who owns a JN-7 "the color of money" cue, and can provide some feedback on the cue. Does anyone mind telling me how it plays? Pros and cons? Is it worth the money? Will it play better then say, a Bushka or McDermott? Thinking about obtaining one but obviously would like any input possible, as this isn't a cue I can just walk into a store and try. I'll post a couple pics and a link to the specific version I'm referring to.
Thank you!

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/colorofMoney.htm

www.discountpoolcues.com_presents_joss_jn-7_butt.jpg
www.discountpoolcues.com_presents_joss_jn-7_forearm.jpg
www.discountpoolcues.com_presents_joss_jn-7_cue.jpg

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
The cue will play like virtually any other Joss to the extent that the method of building the shaft is pretty standardized. Individual cues and shafts will give a different feel which can be customized by changing ferrule and tip choices.

Some of the larger Billiard supplier warehouse stores may have some to let you hit.

A new version of the cue is showing at $769.25 at Ozone Billiards and at Seyberts.
Shootersbilliards has the N7 cue for $680.
Only you can determine if you like the looks of the cue and if you like the feedback you get when you strike the cue ball.

This cue will give a different sound and feel than a McDermott particularly if the McDermott has the 3/8 x 10 pin and the wood to wood joint. You would find it helpful to find out what type of "hit" you like.

It's not a collectable cue, it's a production cue, so the moment you buy it, it goes down in value. The sharp pointed ones used in the movie are collector cues to the right buyers and would command a higher price. Even the original N-7 cues will probably have better resale than these new ones.

IF you like the feedback you get with the Joss cues then you probably will like this if you like the design. If you get the opportunity to go to a big league national championship there's lots of cues to try. You could also go to the Super Billiards Expo and try a lot of cues in your price range and then decide. You might find a used one online cheaper than the new price.

good luck in your quest for a pool cue of your dreams.

mr.d.scottie

Keep calm and abide..
The cue will play like virtually any other Joss to the extent that the method of building the shaft is pretty standardized. Individual cues and shafts will give a different feel which can be customized by changing ferrule and tip choices.

Some of the larger Billiard supplier warehouse stores may have some to let you hit.

A new version of the cue is showing at $769.25 at Ozone Billiards and at Seyberts.
Shootersbilliards has the N7 cue for $680.
Only you can determine if you like the looks of the cue and if you like the feedback you get when you strike the cue ball.

This cue will give a different sound and feel than a McDermott particularly if the McDermott has the 3/8 x 10 pin and the wood to wood joint. You would find it helpful to find out what type of "hit" you like.

It's not a collectable cue, it's a production cue, so the moment you buy it, it goes down in value. The sharp pointed ones used in the movie are collector cues to the right buyers and would command a higher price. Even the original N-7 cues will probably have better resale than these new ones.

IF you like the feedback you get with the Joss cues then you probably will like this if you like the design. If you get the opportunity to go to a big league national championship there's lots of cues to try. You could also go to the Super Billiards Expo and try a lot of cues in your price range and then decide. You might find a used one online cheaper than the new price.

good luck in your quest for a pool cue of your dreams.
Thanks for the words, Dr.! Definitely up to personal preference, as you say. Was just wondering if anyone could compare it to something else and give some pros/cons. Maybe say if it's worth the price they're asking in terms of quality. I suppose it is all in the shaft though, hm. :p

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as an aside, John Marshall has a gorgeous one of a kind custom version of this same cue he just had made........really nice points & ivory joint.
just FYI.......in anyone was interested in seeing a really exceptional rendition of the Color of Money cue.......it's in the Cue Gallery.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I've been searching for someone who owns a JN-7 "the color of money" cue, and can provide some feedback on the cue. Will it play better then say, a Bushka or McDermott?

With almost no exceptions (probable exceptions would be ramin wood cues, and most graphite cues and fiberglass cues), contrary to what some others will tell you there absolutely positively is no such thing as one cue playing better than another cue. Now one cue may be more suited to your personal preferences for hit and "feel" and stiffness and butt diameter and balance etc, but all of them can perform at the highest levels possible if they are in the hands of someone with the skill and who prefers that type of cue. The question is what cue is better for you, not what cue is better because there is no such thing.

I think Joss cues hit and play like absolute garbage. And they do, for me. It wouldn't be a good cue for me because it isn't to my preferences in a number of ways. There are others for whom the Joss cues meet their preferences exactly, and for them it might be the best playing cue on earth. It is an extremely individual thing. What someone else likes and what is best from someone else has zero, let me repeat, zero to do with what you like and what would be best for you. No cue is any better than another. Just certain cues are better for certain people. So it isn't even a question worth asking because the answers you will get are meaningless since their needs and preferences are different than yours. It is like asking for someone else to tell you what food you should like best, and their answer to you is that clams are the best food on earth. Well your tastes are different than theirs and clams are not the best food on earth, it is just the best food on earth for them. For you the best food is probably something different.

I see by your signature that you currently play with a McDermott cue. If McDermott cues meet your preferences, then it is a no brainer, get another MdDermott. If it doesn't meet your preferences then in order for anybody to give you any help at all you need to be more specific about how it is failing to meet your preferences and then out of the three we can tell you what will be closest to what you are looking for.

So what is your current dissatisfaction with your McDermott? Is the butt too thick or too thin? Is the shaft too stiff or too flexible? Is it too forward weighted or too rear weighed? Give us every detail about what you don't like about your current cue and maybe we can help you find what will suit your preferences better but otherwise nobody here can be of any help whatsoever. Another thing that can provide some help is if you tell us all the cues you have played with that you really liked because from that we can get an idea of what your personal preferences are for shaft stiffness, balance of the cue, butt diameter size, etc and can once again try to make suggestions that meet your preferences. But telling you what meets our own personal preferences won't be a bit of help to you with your own different preferences.

mr.d.scottie

Keep calm and abide..
With almost no exceptions (probable exceptions would be ramin wood cues, and most graphite cues and fiberglass cues), contrary to what some others will tell you there absolutely positively is no such thing as one cue playing better than another cue. Now one cue may be more suited to your personal preferences for hit and "feel" and stiffness and butt diameter and balance etc, but all of them can perform at the highest levels possible if they are in the hands of someone with the skill and who prefers that type of cue. The question is what cue is better for you, not what cue is better because there is no such thing.

I think Joss cues hit and play like absolute garbage. And they do, for me. It wouldn't be a good cue for me because it isn't to my preferences in a number of ways. There are others for whom the Joss cues meet their preferences exactly, and for them it might be the best playing cue on earth. It is an extremely individual thing. What someone else likes and what is best from someone else has zero, let me repeat, zero to do with what you like and what would be best for you. No cue is any better than another. Just certain cues are better for certain people. So it isn't even a question worth asking because the answers you will get are meaningless since their needs and preferences are different than yours. It is like asking for someone else to tell you what food you should like best, and their answer to you is that clams are the best food on earth. Well your tastes are different than theirs and clams are not the best food on earth, it is just the best food on earth for them. For you the best food is probably something different.

I see by your signature that you currently play with a McDermott cue. If McDermott cues meet your preferences, then it is a no brainer, get another MdDermott. If it doesn't meet your preferences then in order for anybody to give you any help at all you need to be more specific about how it is failing to meet your preferences and then out of the three we can tell you what will be closest to what you are looking for.

So what is your current dissatisfaction with your McDermott? Is the butt too thick or too thin? Is the shaft too stiff or too flexible? Is it too forward weighted or too rear weighed? Give us every detail about what you don't like about your current cue and maybe we can help you find what will suit your preferences better but otherwise nobody here can be of any help whatsoever. Another thing that can provide some help is if you tell us all the cues you have played with that you really liked because from that we can get an idea of what your personal preferences are for shaft stiffness, balance of the cue, butt diameter size, etc and can once again try to make suggestions that meet your preferences. But telling you what meets our own personal preferences won't be a bit of help to you with your own different preferences.
Hmm, that's interesting. Makes total sense though. There is no "one size fits all" for anything in life, I suppose! Perhaps this question came after reading countless forums where folks debated over the quality of cues, comparing them, stating whether they were worth the money, all that..
Truth is, I grew up playing with ol' broom handles, never had the money for or knowledge of anything else. So all of this is quite new to me! My McDermotts are great cues, can't really complain but, I can't help but feeling there is something better out there for me.. You know, "the one".. I'm by no means an expert shooter but I know good feel when I feel it.
Perhaps something more stylish, like the Joss pictured above or a Bushka GB6.. A white butt sleeve, beautiful points, nice inlays.. Feel wise, something which is well balanced, handles smooth, sturdy like a one-piece, firm flex but soft on the hit. Something which does the work in the feel department.. Just the right amount of feedback.
Sort of like a forged golf iron, if you follow me there.. A buttery, confidence-inspiring look and feel. I hope this makes sense to you guys.. Getting deep here. :p.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Plays like any other joss cues will with steel joint there nice cue that play well

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Plays like any other joss cues will with steel joint there nice cue that play well

No they aren't. They are one of the worst playing cues out there. Total worthless garbage. Horrible.

And we are both right.....for us. This is why the "what cue plays good" question (or answering that question) is so dumb, because it is all personal preference. What one guy loves the next guy hates. In the right hands every cue is capable of playing the best pool that has ever been played. The secret is matching the right player to the right cue...for him.

mr.d.scottie

Keep calm and abide..
Just as an aside, John Marshall has a gorgeous one of a kind custom version of this same cue he just had made........really nice points & ivory joint.
just FYI.......in anyone was interested in seeing a really exceptional rendition of the Color of Money cue.......it's in the Cue Gallery.

Matt B.
All I have to say is.. Wow. :eek: Now that is a cue fit for the reputation!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
No they aren't. They are one of the worst playing cues out there. Total worthless garbage. Horrible.

And we are both right.....for us. This is why the "what cue plays good" question (or answering that question) is so dumb, because it is all personal preference. What one guy loves the next guy hates. In the right hands every cue is capable of playing the best pool that has ever been played. The secret is matching the right player to the right cue...for him.

"What cue(s) play good" is just as "subjective" as what car(s) drive good... Just because someone says a cue plays good OR bad doesn't mean it actually does.. It's NOT subjective. Just as subjective as telling someone a 2015 Mustang "drives" as well as a 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo... It takes a seasoned and experienced "driver" to tell ALL the differences and explain them in both situations. Same with pool cues. The fact is many if not most don't know what to "feel" for while giving a cue a "test drive". That of course has nothing to do with whether balls can be made with any cue BUT it does have a lot to do whether the person using said cue can play consistently at their highest level....

Good hitting cues ARE good hitting cues PERIOD... There's nothing subjective about it.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
"What cue(s) play good" is just as "subjective" as what car(s) drive good... Just because someone says a cue plays good OR bad doesn't mean it actually does.. It's NOT subjective. Just as subjective as telling someone a 2015 Mustang "drives" as well as a 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo... It takes a seasoned and experienced "driver" to tell ALL the differences and explain them in both situations. Same with pool cues. The fact is many if not most don't know what to "feel" for while giving a cue a "test drive". That of course has nothing to do with whether balls can be made with any cue BUT it does have a lot to do whether the person using said cue can play consistently at their highest level....

Good hitting cues ARE good hitting cues PERIOD... There's nothing subjective about it.

A lot of people say this, and you are just dead wrong, period. Cues are not like cars, as there is some objectivity with cars. Cues are mostly subjective. With relatively few exceptions, one cue is not inherently better than any other cue in terms of how well they play. Specific cues are just better suited for some people than others, but in the hands of someone who likes the cue they are all capable of running a 526 in straight pool if the person playing with it had the talent to do it.

What makes people be able to play consistently at their highest level is having a cue that fits their preferences perfectly, which will not be the same cue that it will be for you or the one that it will be for me. And almost every cue out there has somebody that it is best for.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dangit. Now I am craving clams.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
My opinion is you can get a great used custom for a small amount more than you'd pay for this.

SWN99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
steel joint + , not a muecci +++++

As stated above, changing the tip and ferule will give you the playability and feel you want.
The rest is do you want a 700$ joss?
I miss old traditional cues with sharp points. :(

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
A lot of people say this, and you are just dead wrong, period. Cues are not like cars, as there is some objectivity with cars. Cues are mostly subjective. With relatively few exceptions, one cue is not inherently better than any other cue in terms of how well they play. Specific cues are just better suited for some people than others, but in the hands of someone who likes the cue they are all capable of running a 526 in straight pool if the person playing with it had the talent to do it.

What makes people be able to play consistently at their highest level is having a cue that fits their preferences perfectly, which will not be the same cue that it will be for you or the one that it will be for me. And almost every cue out there has somebody that it is best for.

Absolute rubbish. Seriously. Shane switches from a Schon (with a crappy Joss shaft), to a Cuetec, and keeps winning. Thorsten goes from an Arthur (I think that was the custom he was using) to a Lucasi, and still runs 400s. John Schmidt goes from a Hunter Custom, to an OB, to a Fury, and still runs 400s.

I had a pretty sporty friend borrow my Joss one time. He is a pretty competent player - uses a Predator shaft on all of his cues. He used my Joss to play his set, because he came from work and didn't have his cue. He lost the first rack, and then proceeded to run off the next 7 to win his match. His exact words regarding the cue: "I had to get used to the throw. Once I figured out how much it chucked, it played lights out. If it had a harder tip, it would be a weapon". No critique of the cue being garbage. He also ran sets with a sneaky Dufferin, and someone's Meucci. Never, once, did he call someone's cue "garbage". "Hit" isn't a playing characteristic of a cue. It's a subjective feeling, but has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of the wooden rod to pocket balls.

mr.d.scottie

Keep calm and abide..
steel joint + , not a muecci +++++

As stated above, changing the tip and ferule will give you the playability and feel you want.
The rest is do you want a 700$ joss?
I miss old traditional cues with sharp points. :(
Hahah, perhaps there are better options out there for $700! Mainly just wanted to see if it was the 'astounding' cue that it's cracked up to be.. This thing is supposed to shoot rainbows, man! :D
Yes, nothing beats that classic look.. Would like to check out one of the new Chinese Bushkas, just for kicks. (Pun kind of intended!)