Pool table brands to avoid?

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So,

After 3 years it's looking like I'm finally getting a sizable raise, if/when it comes through I'm going to be tearing the garage down and building a new 2 car with an apartment over top of it. So after years of being square footage poor, I'll finally have room for a home table.

I see a ton on Craigslist (I was told that's the route to go anyway since I'll have to pay people to professionally install, if the stuff is worn, no big deal, have them replace it). I know Diamond and Brunswick are notable brands--are there any I should avoid? Or is a 9' drop pocket going to be about the same no matter who makes it minus having the resale value of a Diamond, etc.?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong but i think a drop pocket might be a little less than a Table with a Ball return system, If you can, try to look at the table in person or get as many pics as possible and ask RKC to look at those pics if he's willing, he will give you a No Bullshit Assessment.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also Gold Crowns and Diamond Tables can very well be avoided if they look like they are in very bad shape, Those two big name tables do have older bad models out there that people are trying to disguise and pass off as good shape. This goes for any brand for that matter.

I hope you find the best table you can.

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be wrong but i think a drop pocket might be a little less than a Table with a Ball return system, If you can, try to look at the table in person or get as many pics as possible and ask RKC to look at those pics if he's willing, he will give you a No Bullshit Assessment.

It definitely should be, either way, less things to mess up that I might have to get repaired is my thinking in the matter. haha Thanks for the replies!

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So,

After 3 years it's looking like I'm finally getting a sizable raise, if/when it comes through I'm going to be tearing the garage down and building a new 2 car with an apartment over top of it. So after years of being square footage poor, I'll finally have room for a home table.

I see a ton on Craigslist (I was told that's the route to go anyway since I'll have to pay people to professionally install, if the stuff is worn, no big deal, have them replace it). I know Diamond and Brunswick are notable brands--are there any I should avoid? Or is a 9' drop pocket going to be about the same no matter who makes it minus having the resale value of a Diamond, etc.?

Fantastic, are you putting the table in the Garage or upstairs?

The Garage will have a 1/4" per foot slope that slopes towards the Garage door.

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic, are you putting the table in the Garage or upstairs?

The Garage will have a 1/4" per foot slope that slopes towards the Garage door.

Ideally upstairs but I'll have to wait and see what kind of estimates I get if the raise gets approved. Truthfully I would like to just make a single room with a bathroom over the garage but that won't help re-sale value as much as a fully functional 2 bedroom apartment. lol

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest figuring out whether you want a furniture or commercial style table, then figure out who the best mechanic in your area is.

Then use that mechanic to help you decide which table yoi will purchase. In my experience, these guys often have tables on hand, or have a line on where to get them. An added benefit is the mechanic can add a technical eye that you cant.

I would add that you are in a great position, with time to shop. There are tons of folks who have tables they want gone, so deals are out there.

Fnd that trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic and let him do as much of the work as he can. You will realize great benefit by using the resources available to yoj.

Congrats on the career bump too, for sure.

Oh- golden west. Dont pick that one!

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, let me say that Black-Balled has offered you some excellent advice above.

Having said that, I'm in a similar situation to you so I'll be watching this thread with great interest to see if you get more specific recommendations than I have been able to. It's been my experience here that every request for table recommendations ends up with advice to get either a Diamond or a Gold Crown, period. Nothing else should be a consideration. That may be good advice but problem is they are not out there for sale on every street corner, at least in the Atlanta area where I am. Plus, I can't imagine many sellers would let you dismantle a table before purchasing and even a mechanic doesn't have X-ray vision, so you could end up with a Frankentable, cracked slate or who knows what.

Anyway, I would look for an American made table. For me, if I can't find a Gold Crown that comes down to these:

Olhausen--many cite pocket rattle as a problem and it can be, but I don't think it's a lot worse than many others. And it can be mitigated.

Connelly--at one time well-respected, but I'm not sure how they are regarded post-buyout 8 or 9 years ago.

A.E. Schmidt--an old family owned company, but like Connelly they don't offer a commercial table if that's important.

Brunswick--if you can find a 9 footer (other than a GC) made before they started "international sourcing" (what was it, 2000?) this might be a good bet.

Gandy--not well regarded here but I've always liked them a lot.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
First off, let me say that Black-Balled and Sweatin' have offered you some excellent advice above.

If you are on the Left Coast the old Global Commercial Tables are solid.

The AMF GC knock-off's always looked fine.

Not sure of the playability of either one.

Have fun with your new playroom.

BTW: Make the space a Studio Apartment Design.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided when I was going to get a pool table I was going to accept nothing less than a Gold Crown. I know that I'm serious about taking my game to the next level and I could potentially have this table for the rest of my life.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
a good old brunswick of the high quality ones, or a gold crown will be the most reasonably priced and the best tables you will find. and old other brands you will never be happy with. and older brunswicks and gold crowns in good condition can be found in the 1000 dollar range.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ideally upstairs but I'll have to wait and see what kind of estimates I get if the raise gets approved. Truthfully I would like to just make a single room with a bathroom over the garage but that won't help re-sale value as much as a fully functional 2 bedroom apartment. lol

If building over a 2 car garage, that will be 400-500 sq feet, not enough for a two bedroom, but good for a studio.

Add the bathroom and also a small kitchen along one wall, that way its great for the man cave, but also rent-able down the road should you want to do that.....

Or a good place to put mother in law when she comes to live with you :eek:

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Humble opinion

In my humble opinion......and if you have the budget.....Brunswick Anniversary or Centennial but have it put set up with great cloth and tight tight tight pockets....4-1/4" The thing is a beast of a table and will last several lifetimes. The next ones up from there are the Gold Crown I's and Gold Crown II's then the III's I genuinely like the way Diamond cuts their pockets and the way the slate extends a tad further into the hole so when that thing has small pockets they play just great. If you're a handy kind of guy trying finding an Anniversary or Centennial and refurbishing it. (God, I love those things.) I also much prefer ball returns vs. drop pockets. Drop pockets just sound crappy to me. Few things are more rewarding than hearing a ball drop into the pit at the end of a table. Just my opinion.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
4.25 pockets, lolz!

why stop there, tell him to get a snooker table with 3 inch pockets

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My parents got a Connelly home table. It plays nice, though the leather basket pockets are very hard on brand new tables. I've had a few balls bounce out, but I think that it'll be fine after they break in.

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If building over a 2 car garage, that will be 400-500 sq feet, not enough for a two bedroom, but good for a studio.

Add the bathroom and also a small kitchen along one wall, that way its great for the man cave, but also rent-able down the road should you want to do that.....

Or a good place to put mother in law when she comes to live with you :eek:

Plans to go bigger than standard for extra room off to the side but just have two garage doors. Outside of pool my hobby is weaponry, so hoping to have the space to open up a home forge and get my FFL to run a custom knife shop and sell firearms as a side gig someday when I have more free time.

May still be too small for a two bedroom but that's my goal to maximize it's appeal and value.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you are going to have enough room above a two car garage? Assuming you have a walled-off bedroom and bathroom, will there be enough room?

I lived above a 32x24 two car garage with one bedroom and one bath for about ten years and really didn't have enough room for a pool table except a 7-footer. I finally had it made 12 feet wider, into a 44x24 three car garage and then had enough room for my Gold Crown IV.

Be careful here if you want a pool table up there.........

r/DCP

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Avoid:
Brunstwick
Connory
Valby
Diabond
Cheap imitations at best
I'd add Sears, Monkey Wards, Minnesota Fats and Mazerik Tables to that list.
Except of course for the ones with the Fold-up Legs. Those are nice.

I assume you mean the Furniture Brunswick's, not the Commercial Brunswick's.
Some of pre-China Furniture Brunswick's are not too bad. Rumor is that Connelly build some of them.

The Secret is...... Solid, Heavy Rails over all else.

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a little hopeful this morning because I found out that a local mechanic/mover I know and trust can get a good deal on a new Golden West, and I'd always heard good things about them. Then I did a search here and came across that horror story posted a few years back by RKC. Looks like another possibility bites the dust.

I hate to let one anecdote dictate such a negative opinion about a brand, but you gotta figure RKC knows his business and is telling the truth. And the customer only lived 10 blocks from the factory!