Best "Hard" Tip

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanting some opinions on what you consider the best hard tip, for control, chalk holding, maintaining shape, etc.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sniper

As I have said before I prefer Sniper, and you will hear a lot of the same answers you hear every time this thread is started.

Some will say Tailsman
Some will say Moori
Some will say who knows what!

It is always the same answers, the best thing you can do is try them out for yourself and find out what works best for you!

When you buy a car do you ask other people what the best car is? Or do you go out and test drive the cars that you like, and figure out what is best for you?

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
txplshrk said:
As I have said before I prefer Sniper, and you will hear a lot of the same answers you hear every time this thread is started.

Sniper is not a "hard" tip. I love Snipers but hard they are not. hence my question.

ddcuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try the Super Pro Waterbuffalo. Holds chalk keeps it's shape and has outstanding cue ball controll on both breaking and jumping.

cyrustong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff said:
Wanting some opinions on what you consider the best hard tip, for control, chalk holding, maintaining shape, etc.

If you want to install hard tips on your playing cue, not for jump and break, you can try Kamui H, or even Moori Quick. They are the best for chalk holding, and control.

You can also try TAD Hard tips.

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cyrustong said:
If you want to install hard tips on your playing cue, not for jump and break, you can try Kamui H, or even Moori Quick. They are the best for chalk holding, and control.

You can also try TAD Hard tips.

I just sent an MO to Dominak cues for a 1020 and sent along a Moori Q for him to put on. I figured I couldn't go too wrong with the Moori.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hard Tips

When I think of hard tips, the 2 that immediately come to mind are the Chandivert 'Rocky' & the way tall water buffalo tip that comes on the cheapest cues made. That tip is super hard, holds shape & chalk plus it lasts. Ironically,
these are the tips that come on the cues that most entry-level players buy as their first cue. I would only recommend these tips for the advanced player with a very refined stroke otherwise mis-cues will be common.
However, if you've got the game & you've got the stroke,
you'll love this tip. KJ

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto. Triangles. Love 'em. I have a cuemaking friend of mine press them for 24 hrs before installing them.

Runner up would be a good le pro, but they're not consistent from box-to-box (or eveni within the same box).

Charlie Edwards said:
Triangles are my favorite.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hard Tips

Compared to the water buffalo, both the LePro & Triangle are considered medium. KJ

Charlie Edwards said:
Triangles are my favorite.

I've tried all kinds of laminated and non laminated tips in all different flavors, Moori, Tiger, Everest, Hercules, Stingray, Chandiverts etc..and like you, Triangles are also my favorite.

Fats

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ Cues said:
Compared to the water buffalo, both the LePro & Triangle are considered medium. KJ
LePro and Triangle are made from water buffalo hides... as are all Tweeten tips, including Elkmaster.

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like a lot of people like the Triangle, even sounds like most people like it better than the more expensive tips like the Moori Q?

iasaxman

Wanna get played?
Silver Member
You may not consider it a "Hard", but imo, Sniper is my choice, hands down!! I've played with Triangle, Moori Q, Kamui, and various others in the pursuit of a good playable hard tip. The Sniper I have on my Balabushka and the other on the DP are by far the best I've played. They hold chalk, control very well, and even though I break at around 22 mph, I've never had one mushroom in the least. I had 4 Moori tips blow out the sides, not mushroom, actually lose pcs from the side when hitting a med/firm shot. Not even breaking. I like the controllablilty of Moori's, but will never use one again. There are tons of good hard tips out there...just keep trying until you find one that suits your stroke.

Dave

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jensen Milk Duds by far!

Mike sent me a few that I had installed on some of my non-Jensen cues. Guy at the repair store kept cursing how hard they are even turning on the lathe.

But, they play incredible, get lots of action, and hold chalk perfectly. On everyone of my cues now!

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hercules makes a nice hard tip. Last a long time, no miscues, and no mushrooming.

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
Jeff said:

I am one of those "weird" people that likes a very hard tip also. It has more to do with being able to "feel" the hit than anything else. I can get loads more english with a medium or soft tip, just don't like em.

I love the standard tip that comes on schon shafts. Everyone else i know thinks they are too hard.

I also like the solid non-layerd WB tips. The only trouble with the WB tips, is you sometimes get one thats too hard & will chip. I've actually had big chunks missing from these tips.

But, if you do get some WB tips...make sure they aren't completely black. The ones that are kinda Brown seem to hold up the best.

dooziexx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to love triangle tips. They get harder as the tip gets more play. Now I use Sumo tips. They are hard right off the bat and I love 'em.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff, my recommendation for you is to do some research. I would check out www.poolndarts.com (this is the Mueller's homepage). They have detailed descriptions and hardness ratings for many different kinds of tips. You can take a look at several different brands and see how they rate compared to each other.

As for personal experience, I am not a big fan of hard tips on my playing cue. I played with the Everest tip that came on my Predator shaft for a while, and I didn't mind it. But when I switched to a Sniper tip, I fell in love.