Best "Hard" Tip

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Jeff said:
Sniper is not a "hard" tip. I love Snipers but hard they are not. hence my question.

What is your intention, then?! Post it...:rolleyes:

I like Triangles, I hardly ever scuff up, they're cheap, and they play great. But if you're talking about breaking with a hard tip, they are not hard tips...

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a hercules tip and I love the way it plays but I keep having the same problems with them. I have them cut down when put on to a little bigger than half size. After very little playing, the tips crack in the middle and half the tip falls off. I don't know if it's something I'm doing (breaking, scuffing etc...) or if it's just a bad batch of tips the guy has, but I'm getting tired of paying $25 a tip for less than 10 hours playtime.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RayDM said:
I had Jeff Olney put 'Tad' hard tips on both my cues from him. Not sure how easy they are to come by though. Came with fibre backing pad also. They hold shape very well with moderate chalk retention if you remember to chalk often. Used them both for breaking and playing.

eventually switched to Morri M on my playing though. Couldn't control my speed as well with the hard

You can buy Tad tips from JJ America, www.jjcue.com

-don

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
WOW!:eek:...and here I thought CB control came from having a good stroke! :D Guess I better run out and get me some of them tips! :rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people think one tip "gets" more spin than another! LOL BALONEY! Tip hardness is merely a personal preference. It has nothing to do with whether or not (or how much) you can spin the CB. Stroke has EVERYTHING to do with whether or not (or how much) you can spin the CB! Someone with a good stroke can take any cue with any tip and make just about any shot! They may prefer one over another, but they can make any work!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,
So you are saying that a soft tip that grabs the cue ball longer doesn't apply more spin to the ball? I would say if you had a soft tip and a hard tip and shot the exact same english shot, the soft tip would apply more spin. Am I wrong?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vinniebabarooch said:
Scott,
So you are saying that a soft tip that grabs the cue ball longer doesn't apply more spin to the ball? I would say if you had a soft tip and a hard tip and shot the exact same english shot, the soft tip would apply more spin. Am I wrong?

vinnie...IMO yes. The dwell time that the tip is in contact with the CB has been high-speed photographed (Jacksonville experiments) at about 1/1000th of a second...not long enough to make any significant difference in what happens with the tip, regardless of hardness. Maximum draw spin comes from an excellent stroke applied to the lowest possible place on the vertical axis of the CB (or the farthest outside edge, if using sidespin). I believe I can get the same amount of spin, regardless of tip, as long as it is properly chalked. jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
vinnie...IMO yes. The dwell time that the tip is in contact with the CB has been high-speed photographed (Jacksonville experiments) at about 1/1000th of a second...not long enough to make any significant difference in what happens with the tip, regardless of hardness. Maximum draw spin comes from an excellent stroke applied to the lowest possible place on the vertical axis of the CB (or the farthest outside edge, if using sidespin). I believe I can get the same amount of spin, regardless of tip, as long as it is properly chalked. jmo

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I can appreciate that answer. Thanks for the response.