Follow-up

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to my worst game thread, thanks to everyone for their responses, very nice. I was thinking about 14.1 and my weaknesses, missing easy shots I can get past that-I'm a good shot maker-for my skill level, the main problem I determined after alot of thinking is the transition from one frame to the next, what I need to do is define the key ball and break ball earily in the frame YES? assuming I do that what harm would be done by taking all the problem balls off the table and running say 6-10 balls get in line for the key/break ball make a nice break remove the problem balls and continue,,,,,this wouldnt count as any run of course but it would be a less frustraiting, faster way to getto the last few balls more often thus expidite the learning process of the transition from frame to frame,

any input? please? I was so happy i got so many great replys on the last thread, would this be a good start then after learning how to get from rack to rack, then leave all the balls on the table? opinions? thats my weak link is one rack to the next, what happens in the middle I can do much better than the transition. but I dont want to sell myself short and miss antything thus my question thanks!!!!

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
That actually sounds like a good drill you came up with , it will build confidence , let us know how it worked for you.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
to my worst game thread, thanks to everyone for their responses, very nice. I was thinking about 14.1 and my weaknesses, missing easy shots I can get past that-I'm a good shot maker-for my skill level, the main problem I determined after alot of thinking is the transition from one frame to the next, what I need to do is define the key ball and break ball earily in the frame YES? assuming I do that what harm would be done by taking all the problem balls off the table and running say 6-10 balls get in line for the key/break ball make a nice break remove the problem balls and continue,,,,,this wouldnt count as any run of course but it would be a less frustraiting, faster way to getto the last few balls more often thus expidite the learning process of the transition from frame to frame,

any input? please? I was so happy i got so many great replys on the last thread, would this be a good start then after learning how to get from rack to rack, then leave all the balls on the table? opinions? thats my weak link is one rack to the next, what happens in the middle I can do much better than the transition. but I dont want to sell myself short and miss antything thus my question thanks!!!!

This sounds like what Scottster recommended. And it certainly will get you in line for the transition from rack to rack. You could start out with just 3, and then work your way up to as many as you like.

Dallas West used to throw three balls out randomly and get to a break shot from there.

Rempe also has a drill for straight pool. 15 balls no two touching none near rails. Ball in hand. run all without hitting a rail. Gets you thinking about getting on the right side of the balls for the correct angles to the next shots.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Thats fine. I think whatever makes you comfortable is good. One thing I thinks that works also is to rack 6 balls. Slow roll break them and get on a key and break shot for another rack of six. If you get comfortable with that add a row of balls to 10.

In many ways this can be tougher than all 15 because it limits your options, but at the same time it limits the variables and may provide less choices for patterns that can be confusing. That may help you concentrate better initially.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the replys carefully in the other thread as promised and this drill just popped into my head, pocketing balls isnt a huge problem its the transition from frame to frame, the reason I would like to start with 15 is I have a bigger target, can pick where I hit them and study the effect of the break, then just pick up the problem balls(in the begginning) and run off what ever is easy and open the next frame-this way i wont get lost in pocketing balls or the how many did i run thing. I can focus one one thing frame to frame. Sounds good to me, cuts out all the BS. Thanks to everyone for the input that lead me to this idea. i'll report back from time to time.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ghostball said:
Hey FATBOY
This is RAY,you never returned my phone call.
RAY MARTIN

Ray I will call you tomarrow, i'm sorry, i have your number, i went to reno, holidays then Derby, Alanta, JOB's, etc etc amd just got back home 4 days ago, i remembed and should have taken the time, thus my public appology. i'm sorry and will call you tomarrow.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
I read the replys carefully in the other thread as promised and this drill just popped into my head, pocketing balls isnt a huge problem its the transition from frame to frame, the reason I would like to start with 15 is I have a bigger target, can pick where I hit them and study the effect of the break, then just pick up the problem balls(in the begginning) and run off what ever is easy and open the next frame-this way i wont get lost in pocketing balls or the how many did i run thing. I can focus one one thing frame to frame. Sounds good to me, cuts out all the BS. Thanks to everyone for the input that lead me to this idea. i'll report back from time to time.

My humble suggestion would be that you work on the all important
frame-to-frame aspect<last five balls> by itself.
And the also important how-the-balls-break-out question by itself.

I'm working with a friend who was a strong A at 9ball - he was very
good at shotmaking and position but helpless at getting from
rack-to-rack. It will come if you work on it.

Also - IMHO 14.1 skills, in general will translate directly to your
Snooker game, esp if you play full-rack<real> Snooker.

ps that ghostball guy might have a tip or two :>)

Dale