Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Aiming systems are OVER RATED!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Aiming systems are OVER RATED!!!
Old
  (#1)
Big C
Deep in the heart of TX.
Big C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond reputeBig C has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Post Aiming systems are OVER RATED!!! - 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

Not trying to piss on anyone's cornflakes, just trying to make a point here. There are so many posts regarding aiming systems. For the purpose of what? How in the world does anyone expect to pockets balls using some arbitrary aiming system without a fundamentally sound stroke? All these aiming systems do what they were intended and that is to give the shooter some frame of reference to help take the guess work out of the shot. I think if people focused more on their body alignment and setup before the shot, then a lot of the aiming will just take care of itself. Also, the finish position of your head, backhand and cuetip will tell you a lot about why you missed the shot.
I'm not a BCA instructor, but I did learn from one of the best. If you haven't taken a lesson from one, I highly recommend that you do. You can learn more from them in the first 15 minutes about your stroke that you can in 15 years with trial and error. Magical cues and spiders only do one thing and that's fleecing you out of your hard earned money. Ok, I'm done. Thank you for reading. Now go beat someone with a stick!

Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.

Old
  (#2)
seymore15074
So what are you saying?
seymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond reputeseymore15074 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 555
  Send a message via AIM to seymore15074 Send a message via Yahoo to seymore15074  
11-29-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm convinced those threads are just to argue. They have absolutely no benefit to any ball making for a single person that participates.

Some just want to choose a word that was used, and "show" that they are more intelligent by saying that it doesn't mean what is being said. What is being said must be wrong because they use the word differently. English is a complex language that involves interpretation, not right and wrong...

Schon Ltd. (LTD1122) w/ Leather Wrap and Triangle Tip
Josey Sneaky 2003 w/ Flare Tip Inlays and Triangle Tip
Instroke Artisan 2x4 (Green)

Old
  (#3)
RunoutalloverU
AzB Silver Member
RunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutalloverU has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 01:02 PM

If you have a perfect stroke but are aiming into a rail, will it help? If you have absolute dead aim, but your stroke is a little off, can you still pocket balls? Which would you rather have, be able to aim and work on a couple tweaks here and there on your stroke, or have a beautiful stroke and not be able to use it for aiming? Enough said.

Old
  (#4)
Cuebacca
________
Cuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

11-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunoutalloverU
If you have a perfect stroke but are aiming into a rail, will it help? If you have absolute dead aim, but your stroke is a little off, can you still pocket balls? Which would you rather have, be able to aim and work on a couple tweaks here and there on your stroke, or have a beautiful stroke and not be able to use it for aiming? Enough said.
If I could magically fix one or the other? I'd definitely pick the perfect stroke and mechanics. Aiming (open shots, not including kicks, banks, combos) is the easy part, IMO.

Last edited by Cuebacca; 11-29-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Old
  (#5)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
... All these aiming systems do what they were intended and that is to give the shooter some frame of reference to help take the guess work out of the shot. ...
I agree with this, but then the question -- for instructors and those interested in the semi-technical aspects of the game -- becomes, which systems are worth teaching to beginners who need a framework to help organize their experience? I think such a system should be technically sound.

Sadly, few posters here have retained enough of their high school geometry and physics to make any useful analysis of the various systems. For an example, look at the recently proposed banking system which works for balls only along a single line on the table but was claimed to work for most shots. That system was so flawed that many could see it had no chance to work.

Move on to something like Hal Mix's "nearest point to the pocket / farthest point from the pocket" aiming system, and many people have a hard time seeing why it is broken -- you still get reports that it works nicely and has no apparent flaw. The reality is that if followed exactly, it will always undercut the ball.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
SPINDOKTOR
lool wtf??
SPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=Bob Jewett]

Sadly, few posters here have retained enough of their high school geometry and physics to make any useful analysis of the various systems. For an example, look at the recently proposed banking system which works for balls only along a single line on the table but was claimed to work for most shots. That system was so flawed that many could see it had no chance to work.

Bob, Yes a great way to get action, I couldnt wait for someone like you to say NAH... Care to see this in person? Id be happy to educate you.. for a small fee ofcourse, how about bank for bank, 100$ a ball. All I will use is My "Flawed System" shouldnt be any worries right? oh, yes, Long rail and short rail, 1 rail banks, from anywhere.

CueTable Help

SPINDOKTOR

DEALER FOR: FURY CUES
pm for quotes

Last edited by SPINDOKTOR; 11-29-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Old
  (#7)
Cuebacca
________
Cuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond reputeCuebacca has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

11-29-2007, 02:21 PM

How would you prove that you are shooting the ball to the point that the aiming system predicts? Seems like a more fair bet is to describe your aiming system, post the money, and let an unbiased geometrician evaluate the system to determine who wins the bet.

Last edited by Cuebacca; 11-29-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
All I will use is My "Flawed System"
How could anybody confirm that?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#9)
SPINDOKTOR
lool wtf??
SPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond reputeSPINDOKTOR has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson

pj
chgo

you cant its a hustlers bet....

Some people think they are sooooo smart, and dont realize a hustle.. Its amazing that only the SMARTEST guy really said anything negitive.

lol...Yes, im a bad, bad man..

SPINDOKTOR

DEALER FOR: FURY CUES
pm for quotes

Old
  (#10)
klockdoc
ughhhhhhhhhh
klockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond reputeklockdoc has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to klockdoc Send a message via Yahoo to klockdoc  
11-29-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Now go beat someone with a stick!
Hmmm, Sounds like a Tom Simpson student. Good Instructor.

---klockdoc--

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak." Larry the Cable Guy

"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself".
Richard Nixon, from his WH farewell address, August 9, 1974

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson

pj
chgo
Simple. Get him to commit to a particular contact point (which is clearly given by the system) and then put up two blocker balls that let the cue ball hit the object ball only on that spot. But I don't think he'll accept the action that way.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Not trying to piss on anyone's cornflakes, just trying to make a point here. There are so many posts regarding aiming systems. For the purpose of what? How in the world does anyone expect to pockets balls using some arbitrary aiming system without a fundamentally sound stroke? I think if people focused more on their body alignment and setup before the shot, then a lot of the aiming will just take care of itself. Also, the finish position of your head, backhand and cuetip will tell you a lot about why you missed the shot.
I'm not a BCA instructor, but I did learn from one of the best. If you haven't taken a lesson from one, I highly recommend that you do. You can learn more from them in the first 15 minutes about your stroke that you can in 15 years with trial and error. Magical cues and spiders only do one thing and that's fleecing you out of your hard earned money. Ok, I'm done. Thank you for reading. Now go beat someone with a stick!

Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.
You view is a zero sum game. If it is true that a bad stroke will ruin any aiming system (which it is) then it is also true that a faulty aiming system will ruin the best stroke in the world.

And your comment that a proper body alignment and set up is a portion of the aiming process (which it is) then the WAY you allign your body and set up over the shot can't just be random or accidental. Rather, it has to be purposeful.

Quote:
All these aiming systems do what they were intended and that is to give the shooter some frame of reference to help take the guess work out of the shot.
I agree with you completely and therefore, we seem to agree that an aiming system is an extremely important COMPONENT of successful shot making which can be aided or negated by other components.

Regards,
Jim

Old
  (#13)
av84fun
Banned
av84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond reputeav84fun has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunoutalloverU
TAP...TAP...TAP.

And I would add that a discussion of something as fundamental as aiming is highly useful EVEN IF Poster A expresses an opinion that is wrong. He/she will certainly be made aware of the error and the rest of the readership will learn from that exercise.

Forums are interesting places. Their very reason for existing is the sharing of ideas...but when ideas are shared with which some don't agree then those folks consider the ideas a waste of time...and so it goes.
(-:

Old
  (#14)
av84fun
Banned

11-29-2007, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=SPINDOKTOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett

Bob, Yes a great way to get action, I couldnt wait for someone like you to say NAH... Care to see this in person? Id be happy to educate you.. for a small fee ofcourse, how about bank for bank, 100$ a ball. All I will use is My "Flawed System" shouldnt be any worries right? oh, yes, Long rail and short rail, 1 rail banks, from anywhere.
AHAAAAA! The gauntlet is dropped. Put your slide rules and compasses away and bring cash to the table! I love it. I don't care who is right or wrong...I just like the stones!! TAP TAP

(-:

Old
  (#15)
Snorks
AzB Silver Member
Snorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond reputeSnorks has a reputation beyond repute

11-29-2007, 03:27 PM

If I had one wish that could come true it would be to hit the exact point of contact that I want everytime... I guess I would take a perfect stroke and then work on my aiming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: