Who here has and plays with a custom cue.

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom cue I mean as in design and specified by you to the cue maker and built to that specs for you not one that you buy second hand from someone around here or ebay.

The question is, did it eventually turn out as you expected? less or more.

If it were not too much trouble could you describe the balance point of your cue and where is your grip? near the front, middle or back near the butt sleeve.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a custom cue made by Alex Brick in 98..couldnt have been happier with it at the time, and love it even more today, as it's still my main cue.

macaframa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had my first custom designed cue by rich benson back in 2002. A year after I began playing pool. When I did this I did not really have a feel of what I liked as I do today. The cue was very nice purple hear points, ivory and nickel inlays and 2 shafts. As I continued to experiment with numerous cue I found what I like and my first custom Benson was not it. I wish I would have waited a year more of playing pool and then having my first custom made by Benson I might have been more pleased with my cue.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Hi have a Samsara high end was build for me and it plays great,also My new Viattorre Amboyna Monster and my high end Arthur Cue.
Ralf

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MasterClass said:
Custom cue I mean as in design and specified by you to the cue maker and built to that specs for you not one that you buy second hand from someone around here or ebay.

The question is, did it eventually turn out as you expected? less or more.

If it were not too much trouble could you describe the balance point of your cue and where is your grip? near the front, middle or back near the butt sleeve.

Yes, it turned out fine. the weight is the most important for me coz I don't need to readjust my grip placement and my stroke is not affected. I usually use a 19 oz stick where my grip is the area just between the wrap and forearm for balance. a heavier cue around 21 oz would make me readjust the grip around the wrap area for balance. I prefer the 19 coz my shots are more accurate due to the grip placement near the forearm. here is my evaluation, butt grip, more power and less accuracy. forearm grip, more accuracy and less power. pros and cons. ;)

my reasons, the farther my grip is from the forearm, the higher the tendency I wobble the cue and might cause putting unneccesary spin on the ball. refer to topic on the short and long stroke. makes more sense, IMO. :)

Last edited:

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
I purchased one from Chris Hightower of www.hightowercues.com he is a good regular pool player himself who can help a person in creating their own special cue..mine i wouldn't trade it's perfect for me.........:)

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
My avitar is my most recent, made by John Davis. It has beautiful balance around 19" from the end of the butt. My grip location changes with shots, but usually in the lower half to third of the wrap. John did everything I asked of him, but it came out prettier than I expected!
:p

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I own two JERICO's from Jerry Powers. Custom made for my game. Wouldn't sell/trade for nothing....randyg

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
See my avatar. Definitely my favorite custom ever. Jack's work with a little input from me. He is one great fella to work with.

JBK

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I've had 3 Southwests made to my designs & specs over the years. They all play great.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a custom cue designed by me and it came out pretty much as expected and I'm satisfied. It is about .25 oz. lighter than I had asked but that's not a biggie. My cue was a plain design (bacote forearm and sleeve) so it would've been difficult to not get the design close.

Balance point is about 20 in. from the butt. On most shots, my bridge is about 8 in. from the cueball so with my arm length and 58 in. cue my grip hand is about 3-4 in. from the bottom of the wrap.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
I shoot with a Madden that I designed and Jack built

the balance point is around 20 1/2 inches and i almost always grip on the buttsleeve

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
axejunkie said:
I have a custom cue designed by me and it came out pretty much as expected and I'm satisfied. It is about .25 oz. lighter than I had asked but that's not a biggie. My cue was a plain design (bacote forearm and sleeve) so it would've been difficult to not get the design close.

Balance point is about 20 in. from the butt. On most shots, my bridge is about 8 in. from the cueball so with my arm length and 58 in. cue my grip hand is about 3-4 in. from the bottom of the wrap.
Is that the one you showed off to me when we met up at Fast Eddie's (the day I took the Schon STL-2 off of ya)??? The one I'm thinking of was one hell of a nice cue!!

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
My main cue is a custom Longoni. I also have a custom John Parris on its way. And then, of course, I have that ratty vintage Brunswick that Ryan Theewen (ratcues) modified so it'll take uni-loc shafts -- that's kind of custom too, right? ;^)

-- peer

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good topic because I own many custom cues but not one of them was one made specifically for me. I ordered an Ariel Carmeli a while ago that I should recieve in a week or two. I am actually going to order another cue from him when this one is done. I am a small guy and I like to have a slimmer handle, and I like to have a stiff cue. It did take me a while to actually figure out exactly what I wanted. I think playing with as many cues as possible will help you get the feel of exactly what you will want.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8-ball Rat said:
Is that the one you showed off to me when we met up at Fast Eddie's (the day I took the Schon STL-2 off of ya)??? The one I'm thinking of was one hell of a nice cue!!
Hey Mark, yes it is, plain jane Jensen. And no it's not for sale! (I had to throw this in since you asked about it) :)

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The balance point of my cue is about 3 inches above the wrap. It was built as per my request to my cue maker.

What i realise is that i am holding the cue very up front. Imagine that the cue has segmented handle i would be holding at the first segment. It is at this point that i feel the balance of the cue to be most natural to me. But the consequence is that i would develop the habit of dropping my elbow more and starting my stroke with my cue arm ahead instead of being perpendicular to the ground.

Would a more forward weighted cue or backward weighted cue shift the balance so that i would feel comfortable when i hold the cue in the middle segment of the wrap? I have played with a tasc, mottey and schrager that allows me to do that. Somehow those cues has got a wonderful balance. I am not really able to figure out the science behind it so i will just try trial and error and take notes.

Thanks for all the contribution. Please do share more experiences.

Straw_Hat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a custom cue I had made by david jacoby. It keeps a basic design from his hustler series, but had my fiancee's birthstone put at the top of the points and used ivory (to represent my birthstone of opal) on the bottom. Had it made 15.5 oz, and almost the same taper down the butt of the cue, I prefer a thin butt and and kept it to this spec. The shaft has a 11.5mm taper and is a dab over 1 inch longer then average. It's not an expensive cue, but I love it and what it symbols.. It also feels perfect to me and I'm complety comfortable with it so that's all that matters to me..