1p: am I the only one who shoots this?

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Watching an old DCC 1P match (joyner vs owen) and saw this shot come up. I know Gabe's intentions are to cut the 4 and use the 6 to stop the CB for a shot on the 5, but wouldn't playing the 4 off of the 5 and getting shape on the 9 be a much better shot (diagrammed on page 2 of the cuetable)?

CueTable Help

What would you shoot?

Last edited:

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I like going into the 6. It opens up the pocket for the 10 as well. Going off the 5 isnt bad, but then the 5 may end up on the long rail and you have to get shape on it which may not be too easy. If you shoot the 4 then the 5 then you have alot more options. JMO.

Southpaw

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
^^ shooting the 4 requires you to hit the ball with a lot of speed, the 9/6/10 all move far away (when he shoots it he actually makes the 9 in cliffs pocket).

You get 2 balls, 3 if you get up on the 11.

I feel like you have a good chance to make 6+ shooting my shot.

At least thats what I see.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
AZE said:
Watching an old DCC 1P match (joyner vs owen) and saw this shot come up. I know Gabe's intentions are to cut the 4 and use the 6 to stop the CB for a shot on the 5, but wouldn't playing the 4 off of the 5 and getting shape on the 9 be a much better shot (diagrammed on page 2 of the cuetable)?

What would you shoot?
Depends on how the 10-6 combo is lined up. If it's on, then you should shoot the shot you diagrammed to allow you to get all 5 loose balls. If the 10-6 is not on, you should consider bumping them to have a better chance to get the loose ones.

Also, those that play straight (and lots of 1H players) recognize that layouts like this (coming from under the rack with 3, 4, or 5 balls loose) has a good chance to get you 8 and out ;)

-td

Bluesteel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZE said:

What would you shoot?

I am with you on this one...playing the 4 off the 5 definitely gives you more control of whitey as well. The most important thing here is to get on the other side of the 9. If you hang the 4, he should not be able to see it, and then has to force something that ends in :D for me and :mad: for him.

Mark

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I like the kiss shot in your diagram but only if I don't have to do anything extra to make it work. If I have half-draw and spin the cueball or hit the 4 either very full or very thinly into the 5 I'll pass on that and take the one I know I can put down. If the 4-5 hit is in that range of angles where it's hard to miss I would shoot it for sure, assuming I saw it.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
AZE said:
^^ shooting the 4 requires you to hit the ball with a lot of speed, the 9/6/10 all move far away (when he shoots it he actually makes the 9 in cliffs pocket).

You get 2 balls, 3 if you get up on the 11.

I feel like you have a good chance to make 6+ shooting my shot.

At least thats what I see.

One thing is you have the advantage of seeing the outcome of the shot. LOL

I like the shot off the 4, but, I am not sure if the angle is there to carom correctly using "low" english. This would cause the ball to go forward and may not allow the proper angle to get on the other side of the 9 when you hit the 5 fuller.

If the angle is there, I like your choice.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
First... I could NEVER pull this off.... second... I am very much so on a sleepy high right now.....

With that said... how cool would this run out be?
(note: 10/6 needs to be thrown in hence cutting the 10.... the angle on the 5 to 11 I drew funny... and on the last shot on page 3 the stack smashes open and you run every single ball... mostly because you are on the new pool steroids I keep reading about)

CueTable Help

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the four kissing off the five. From the way they are sitting in the diagram I believe the nine could be positioned without going to draw, which will give us more precise position on the nine. This option could get us all the balls we need.

There is a lot of unpredictability making the four without the carom.

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
I love playing the 4 off the 5, but I can't make heads or tails out of your second diagram.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
AZE said:
... What would you shoot?
I like shots like the 4 off the 5 but it depends on exactly how the balls are sitting. If the setup gives a half-ball angle off the 5 to the pocket, it's hard to miss the shot. If, as someone mentioned, the angle to the pocket requires you to crank up the speed so the 4 doesn't go too straight through, then the shot is more complicated. I still like it because you can get on the 9 pretty surely. In your run-out scenario, I would assume that the 10-6 combo is not dead, but it's easy enough to play a billiard onto the 10 for shape on the 6, either one rail or direct.