Good Book?

gpeezy

for sale!
I was refreshing my memory of some of the stories in Banking with the Beard over the weekend. I, like many other pool players, love to hear old stories of players, scenarios, gaff bets,ect. I fould a web page one time that had quite a few on it but can't remeber where. I've read Playing off the Rail and an old The Hustler book. I'd like to have some more reads like this.

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just about to finish "Rags to Rifleman, Then What" by W.W. Woody and Buddy Hall.

The book is extremely expensive to find these days and bogs down a ton at the end when they both discover each other to be Christians, but for pure desciption and detail of action matches this book is the nuts.

I have really enjoyed it and am glad a friend was willing to lend it to me.

Another really good one (much cheaper) is Road Player by Danny DiLiberto.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
gpeezy said:
I was refreshing my memory of some of the stories in Banking with the Beard over the weekend. I, like many other pool players, love to hear old stories of players, scenarios, gaff bets,ect. I fould a web page one time that had quite a few on it but can't remeber where. I've read Playing off the Rail and an old The Hustler book. I'd like to have some more reads like this.

If you enjoyed "Banking with the Beard", you'll LOVE "The GosPool", Freddy's much balleyhooed sequal. I actually liked it better than "Banking with The Beard" because of the greater amount of stories and player profiles.
"Willie's Game" as well as "The Hustler and the Champ" are both awesome reads. They're authored by R.A. Dyer.
Grady Mathews' "Bet High & Kiss Low" also is must reading if you enjoy tales from pooldom.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I've read and enjoyed a lot of them. "McGoorty, A Poolroom Hustler was good. By Robert Byrne. Johnnyt

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Billiards: Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies, and the Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt" by John Grissim, "McGoorty: The Story of a Billiard Bum" by Robert Byrne, "Hustler Days" by R. A. Dyer, "How to Get By Without Working" by Peter "Peter Rabbit" Linhard, "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats with Tom Fox, "The Lions and the Lambs" by Thomas Fensch, "Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories" by Robert Byrne.
Also, the aforementioned "Willie's Game" by Willie Mosconi and Stanley Cohen, "Buddy Hall, Rags to Rifleman, Then What" by W. W. Woody, "The Hustler and the Champ" by R. A. Dyer. "Bet High and Kiss Low" by Grady Mathews, "Running the Table" by L. Jon Wertham.
Danny Diliberto's book, which I don't have.

Last edited:

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you remind me, I can bring you a few the next time I am that way. I have Cornbread Red, Hustler Days, The Gospool, and one other I think.