pool glasses

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently ran across an old pair of my 1970s vintage reading glasses with huge frames & asked my optician if he could transform them into pool glasses. He stated that he had made some for 2 other customers & without seeing the website describing pool glasses, he described similar modifications & I asked him to put my current prescription into the frames.

I just came up from the basement, where I gave them their first trial. Moving my focus from CB to OB was much easier & it was a real pleasure not to be squinting as I did to compensate for my current glasses sliding down & dealing with the tops of the frames obstructing my vision.

It is comforting to know that I have my optician's guarantee, anti-glare treatment etc.

My consistency increased & so did the number of balls I ran. I don't think I will be challenging Karen Corr any time soon, but if she grows a beard, gains some weight, & ages about 30 years it will be difficult to tell us apart.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
I recently ran across an old pair of my 1970s vintage reading glasses with huge frames & asked my optician if he could transform them into pool glasses. He stated that he had made some for 2 other customers & without seeing the website describing pool glasses, he described similar modifications & I asked him to put my current prescription into the frames.

I just came up from the basement, where I gave them their first trial. Moving my focus from CB to OB was much easier & it was a real pleasure not to be squinting as I did to compensate for my current glasses sliding down & dealing with the tops of the frames obstructing my vision.

It is comforting to know that I have my optician's guarantee, anti-glare treatment etc.

My consistency increased & so did the number of balls I ran. I don't think I will be challenging Karen Corr any time soon, but if she grows a beard, gains some weight, & ages about 30 years it will be difficult to tell us apart.

I have been using coke Bottles with the bottoms cut out, and magnifying glass put back in place. Even though it has not really helped my vision much my opponent is laughing so hard they can not make a ball!!!:D

Good to see, hows the game coming!!!!!

Craig

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I have been wearing contacts since 1986..started with hard and have gone through all progressions up until last fall.. when I began having problems in one of my eyes.... and switched to glasses.. "temporarily"...

well after the problem was mostly cleared up I was allowed to go back to contacts and only made it a few days before the problems came back.. I pretty much decided then and there that I'll have to wear glasses for the rest of my life..to prolong my vision as long as possible...

my problem with glasses isn't focusing on near targets and far targets. its movement.. the lenses are never the same distance from my eyes..they gradually slide down my nose while I am running balls...I went so far as to add a "nose bridge push" to my preshot routine.. but even then the problem persists... my glasses never stay in the same spot. and as a result.. its like messing with the focus knob on a pair of binoculars...

I can get it close.. and it works for most of my shots.. but when I need to thread a ball through very tight traffic. I am nowhere near as precise as I used to be with contacts... what I need is a pair of glasses that don't move..probably an impossible goal.. but there has to be a way to address this.

any thoughts?

Last edited:

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
I have been using ....

I have been using rose colored glasses ... it sure makes everything look better...

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
softshot said:
I have been wearing contacts since 1986..started with hard and have gone through all progressions up until last fall.. when I began having problems in one of my eyes.... and switched to glasses.. "temporarily"...

well after the problem was mostly cleared up I was allowed to go back to contacts and only made it a few days before the problems came back.. I pretty much decided then and there that I'll have to wear glasses for the rest of my life..to prolong my vision as long as possible...

my problem with glasses isn't focusing on near targets and far targets. its movement.. the lenses are never the same distance from my eyes..they gradually slide down my nose while I am running balls...I went so far as to add a "nose bridge push" to my preshot routine.. but even then the problem persists... my glasses never stay in the same spot. and as a result.. its like messing with the focus knob on a pair of binoculars...

I can get it close.. and it works for most of my shots.. but when I need to thread a ball through very tight traffic. I am nowhere near as precise as I used to be with contacts... what I need is a pair of glasses that don't move..probably an impossible goal.. but there has to be a way to address this.

any thoughts?

I was wearing an elastic strap.. like athletes wear. Lately I've found that
Wedgees work great. www.wedgees.com Very affordable and they work great for me.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
softshot said:

any thoughts?

Check out my website under "Shooting Glasses".

www.poolschool.info

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
softshot said:

any thoughts?

Here's what I use, and they work just fine.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...frgl_502789&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku2997164

Nose pads... with a self stick adhesive to attach to your glasses, will help keep them glasses from slipping down your nose.

However, if you're sweating, and have nose grease at work, it'll obviously help to wash your face with soap and water to get rid of the nose grease.

Also, if your glasses are very heavy, whether due to large glass lenses or metal frames, you might wish to consider getting another pair of glasses and lenses. There are plenty of lightweight plastic frames out there, and with the extra thin plastic lenses available today, your glasses won't be heavy at all.

Also, the nose pads will elevate the frames a bit on the bridge of your nose, which can definitely help sighting, especially when down on the cue ball.

Flex

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
JimS said:
I was wearing an elastic strap.. like athletes wear. Lately I've found that
Wedgees work great. www.wedgees.com Very affordable and they work great for me.

Jim: I got a new pair of glasses from that Doctor Harrison in Canada, but they keep slipping down. Ordered your wedgees today. Hope they do the trick. Thanks for the tip.

Dennis

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I need 7/8 Ball Glasses, as my EYES get older I am having problem seeing the edges of the 7/8 Ball.
angeryonfire.gif
angeryonfire.gif
angeryonfire.gif
Or should i have said the Edges of the Seven & Eight Ball.
angeryonfire.gif
angeryonfire.gif
angeryonfire.gif

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Jim: I got a new pair of glasses from that Doctor Harrison in Canada, but they keep slipping down. Ordered your wedgees today. Hope they do the trick. Thanks for the tip.

Dennis
They work great for me Dennis. I turn mine at a 90 degree angle from the glasses frame. I have large ears that stick out a ways from my head and need the wedge to be as wide as possible. You may not need to turn them that far out. From the pics I remember the suggest about 45 degrees from the frame. You'll see what I mean when you get yours.

Best thing I've found to adapt my eyes to pool. No more shooting glasses. I can wear my lineless bifocals for pool and never have a problem with them slipping or with seeing properly.

I got a bunch of them so I have them available in the garage when working on the hot rod as well as in in the cue case(s) and in my pool room. I've been doing wiring on the truck and have needed to be able to see small stuff up close where the bifocals are imperative. The Wedgees have been invaluable there.

DWBOD

Game Over!
Silver Member
Contact lenses actually give the best perception of depth and size. It's because the contacts sit directly on the eye and act as a single lens with the cornea. Any pair of glasses actually creates a sort of telescope system that when moving in or out (sliding up or down) changes your focus point and clarity. Peripheral vision is also greatly increased with a contact lens. Imagine that, after ten years of school I found something that I can actually use in the real world.

Doug