★ world 9 ball championship ★ qatar★

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Thanks for the info

Just a fantabulous field. All the big guns are in. I cannot think of notable who is not here- maybe Efren, Buste, Chris Meiling
It is nice to see Yang back in WC. I mean he has not played WC for such a long time. Past his prime but I peg him as darkhorse and sentimental favorite to win
Also nice to see that Ko Ping Chung and Warren Kiamco did not go thru qualifiers unlike last year
Jeff Ignacio is missing but I am guessing he will be playing qualifiers :grin:
Reyes I can understand because he is getting up there in age, but Bustamante was a shock. I wonder if he didn't make the cut, or if he is sitting this one out for personal reasons.

Doesn't seem like a world championship without him and Reyes in it.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info

Just a fantabulous field. All the big guns are in. I cannot think of notable who is not here- maybe Efren, Buste, Chris Meiling
It is nice to see Yang back in WC. I mean he has not played WC for such a long time. Past his prime but I peg him as darkhorse and sentimental favorite to win
Also nice to see that Ko Ping Chung and Warren Kiamco did not go thru qualifiers unlike last year
Jeff Ignacio is missing but I am guessing he will be playing qualifiers :grin:

Ignacio is in the qualifiers. I recognized a couple of other names (e.g., Cheng Yu Hsuan) but it's mostly filled with people from the surrounding regions.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Reyes I can understand because he is getting up there in age, but Bustamante was a shock. I wonder if he didn't make the cut, or if he is sitting this one out for personal reasons.

Doesn't seem like a world championship without him and Reyes in it.

I think Bustamante is 52 and Efren is 61, only a 9 year difference but maybe they're both calling it quits. I think in shorter tournaments they're still a favorite but W9B demands too much from them in a physical standpoint. I don't doubt they can still snap it off though.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Bustamante is 52 and Efren is 61, only a 9 year difference but maybe they're both calling it quits. I think in shorter tournaments they're still a favorite but W9B demands too much from them in a physical standpoint. I don't doubt they can still snap it off though.

What about Alex? Theres a shock and hes only 37. :smile:
Wonder what happened....
Well I hope he's winning if he's playing poker.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/wpaworld9ballchampionship/posts/505329846299241

"Bad news for Pinoy pool fans. The WPA can confirm that both Efren "Bata" Reyes and Francisco "Django" Bustamante, both former World 9-ball champions, both absolute legends, will not be competing at this year's World 9-ball Championship in Doha.
This is the first time that we can recall in living memory that both these pool god's have not suited up to battle for the World 9-ball crown, a title that has been contested 23 times going back to the early 1990's.
We can't sugar coat it. There will certainly be a bit of electricity missing without these two. Whenever Efren played these past years, hordes of Filipino overseas workers in Qatar, starved for a taste of home, poured out enmasse to cheer on their hero and legend "Bata.' It was a sight to behold.
We don't know the reason why, only that perhaps they had some sort of commercial commitment back home.
On the plus side for Pinoy fans, they can be sure that at least one-fourth of the field in Doha will be filled with their boys, all of whom are very capable of doing some serious damage."

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see Thorsten Homann's name in the yellow portion of the entry list...
...does that mean he had to qualify?

No - it looks like the qualifiers are at the very bottom in bright yellow. It is posted on the site that there's only 12 and the qualy tourney starts tomorrow with 128 players trying to win those 12 spots.
btw pt....where is Alex??

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HI I dont see Strikland Jason Shaw Johnny Archer

I love the way Jason Shaw plays fast and loose

There have been rumors that Earl lost his sponsorship. As far as I can tell he hasn't played in a tournament since the Straight pool tourney at Steinway.

I really hope that Earl, Efren, and Bustamante continue to compete in tourneys. Would be a shame if we've seen the last of them.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No - it looks like the qualifiers are at the very bottom in bright yellow. It is posted on the site that there's only 12 and the qualy tourney starts tomorrow with 128 players trying to win those 12 spots.
btw pt....where is Alex??

Alex has been in some pretty good action...man's an alllround athlete. :cool:

I wish the pool world could give him the same chance at being a millionaire.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Or....

Or they realize it's a crapshoot BECAUSE of the format and realize it's not worth the expense...

Jaden

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have never, or would I ever turn JoeyA off. :cool:. Johnnyt

That is SO NICE Johnnyt. Thanks!

While I will be competing in the White Diamonds event in November which PoolActionTv.com will be live streaming and I will try to sit in for a couple of matches, in between playing, snoozing, socializing and eating. The event is already sold out. As usual, there is a waiting list that you can join.

It seems that that this event sells out earlier and earlier each time.

Thanks for the support Johnnyt!

JoeyA

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, the qualifiers are tough . 128 qualifiers fighting for 12 spots . Each qualifier has 3 chances/3 rounds . Each group 32 players and he has to be champion by winning 5 matches . If he is knocked out he has 2 more rounds/ chances. So if he qualifies by winning his group in 3rd chance, he would have played total 15 matches. Each match is race to 7 alternate break

Quite a number or assassins in qualifiers led by ex-world champs - old veteran "Cold Faced Assassin" Chao and Yukio

Other familiar names -
Oliver Medenilla
Francisco Felicida
Kevin Cheng
Pupul
Ramil Gallego
Jeff Ignacio
Wu Kun Liin
Liu Cheng Chieh

Majority are overwhelmingly from Middle East. Next most are Filipinos followed by Taiwanese
:D

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone please post up the time(U.S time zone) streaming starts if you know it..

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex has been in some pretty good action...man's an alllround athlete. :cool:

I wish the pool world could give him the same chance at being a millionaire.

So he cant take a week off because he has as good as a chance as anyone to win a world championship?
could you imagine Roger Federer not showing up at wimbledon cause he has better things to do?
just sayin.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
You look at the list and wonder why some of those players get a spot in the main tournament and yet they make former champions battle it out with everyone else just for the 1/10 chance to get there. Doesn't make sense to me.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
You look at the list and wonder why some of those players get a spot in the main tournament and yet they make former champions battle it out with everyone else just for the 1/10 chance to get there. Doesn't make sense to me.

yeah, when i saw it i was like "WTF is this? Akagariyama's world 9-ball title is not good enough to give him a spot?"

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he cant take a week off because he has as good as a chance as anyone to win a world championship?
could you imagine Roger Federer not showing up at wimbledon cause he has better things to do?
just sayin.
Alex is playing the one pocket event this week in Iowa