★ world 9 ball championship ★ qatar★

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
So he cant take a week off because he has as good as a chance as anyone to win a world championship?
could you imagine Roger Federer not showing up at wimbledon cause he has better things to do?
just sayin.

Roger wouldn't have better things to do. If he loses the very first round in Wimbledon then
he would make more money then Alex would winning the tournament.

Alex at best is a 1:10 longshot to win it, he could very well lose money on the trip.
It's apples and oranges.

gr. Dave

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making it to the final 64, cash about $1500(from 2014)

If Hunter Lombardo can find his way to the tournament, Alex should.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he cant take a week off because he has as good as a chance as anyone to win a world championship?
could you imagine Roger Federer not showing up at wimbledon cause he has better things to do?
just sayin.

Ya I can see how that comparison or maybe I can't :eek:

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger wouldn't have better things to do. If he loses the very first round in Wimbledon then
he would make more money then Alex would winning the tournament.

Alex at best is a 1:10 longshot to win it, he could very well lose money on the trip.
It's apples and oranges.

gr. Dave

Well it is apples and oranges. You are focusing on the monetary aspect.
I'm pointing out that it's odd that the best players in a sport couldn't be bothered to show up for the biggest tournament of the year.
I agree Alex is 1:10 at best to win it but he's a favorite to at least break even and cover his expenses. In fact I'm sure he has every year since he started going.
Actually with the way Djokovich is playing I think Federer is about 1:10 to win the next wimbledon but that wouldn't stop him from showing up.
But if Alex doesn't want to play of course that's his prerogative. But I'm not going to quit waving my Canadian flag yet. Go John Morra! :thumbup:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some info from the web site: http://qbsf.qa/pub/2015-world-9-ball-tournament-information/

Schedule:

Sept. 07 (Mo) ~ 10 (Th): Qualifying Tournament ( Stage 1 )
Sept. 12 (Sa) ~ 15 (Tu): Main Event ( Stage 2 ) Group Round
Sept. 16 (We) ~ 18 (Fr): Final Round by 64 players

Stage 2 Group Round Event:

There are 128 players in the main event (Stage 2) of the W9BC. In the group round, the players are divided into 16 groups of 8 players each. 4 players from each group advance into the Last 64 final round. 2 from winner’s bracket will be seeded into Final Round spot according to their results from the Group Rounds. 2 from loser’s bracket will be drawn randomly. Double elimination, race to 9, alternate break.

Final Round:

Final Round by the Last 64 to the Final, the competition becomes single elimination with race to 11 and 13 in the final. All matches are by the alternate break.
Stage 1 qualifying tournaments : Single elimination, race to 7, alternate break.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
Kozoom is first class....wow. I only wish they had commentary at the TV table. If only we could get coverage like this at the US open or Derby City....

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Kozoom responded to my question about commentary and no final decisions have been made about commentary just yet. Stay tuned.

From current indications, the commentary may be similar to last year's event.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Kozoom is first class....wow. I only wish they had commentary at the TV table. If only we could get coverage like this at the US open or Derby City....

Yes, you are right. Kozoom is over the moon. There are MULTIPLE "TV" tables for this event for viewers to choose from, all of them top shelf.

JoeyA

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and even brackets are aesthetically very easy on the eyes
Regarding commentary I am I the camp of either good commentary or no commentary
Unless they can get top shelf commentators like Jay, Jim Wych , Billy I , would rather listen to balls, limbic movements. Actually best resource for commentates are the players. By and large , players who get in box are pretty good, talk the technical stuff, great knowledge of the game and the players and interesting stories about the fraternity . You seldom hear them bored you down with details about their next meal or gossip about their friends.
:grin:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I would much rather have the players commentate than commentators who are in the booth all the time. It's nice to hear things from the pro perspective. Commentators who commentate all the time are too comfortable, lose focus on the match, and generally don't play to the same level as the pros so they have a different perspective. There are a few exceptions. Thorsten did some of the best commentary I can remember.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i've always dreamed they'd stream the US Open like this - free. :smile:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Well it is apples and oranges. You are focusing on the monetary aspect.
I'm pointing out that it's odd that the best players in a sport couldn't be bothered to show up for the biggest tournament of the year.
I agree Alex is 1:10 at best to win it but he's a favorite to at least break even and cover his expenses. In fact I'm sure he has every year since he started going.
Actually with the way Djokovich is playing I think Federer is about 1:10 to win the next wimbledon but that wouldn't stop him from showing up.
But if Alex doesn't want to play of course that's his prerogative. But I'm not going to quit waving my Canadian flag yet. Go John Morra! :thumbup:

I do get what you're saying and I feel you're getting what I'm saying.

But it is isn't that Alex couldn't be bothered (imo), he just feels this is not the best decision for him right now,
and a big part of that is finances. Alex needs to go pretty deep in the tournament to break even.

Sure if he gets to the final 8 then he'll do pretty good financially but what are the odds of even that happening?

Federer only needs to show up to be a $40k winner, win a round or 2 and he's up $100k+, go deep and you're
talking about real money ;)

gr. Dave

sly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do get what you're saying and I feel you're getting what I'm saying.

But it is isn't that Alex couldn't be bothered (imo), he just feels this is not the best decision for him right now,
and a big part of that is finances. Alex needs to go pretty deep in the tournament to break even.

Sure if he gets to the final 8 then he'll do pretty good financially but what are the odds of even that happening?

Federer only needs to show up to be a $40k winner, win a round or 2 and he's up $100k+, go deep and you're
talking about real money ;)

gr. Dave
good point 30,000$ to winner 15 second place don't seem like world event
wasn't it like 60k when alex won it,efren 100,000k,are those numbers correct

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...wasn't it like 60k when alex won it,efren 100,000k,are those numbers correct

The peak for the WPA 9-Ball first prize was in 2006 (Alcano) and 2007 (Peach) at $100,000. Lower before and after that.