10.5 Straight Rotation

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10.5 Straight Rotation (http://www.105straightrotation.com) is a new game Allen Hopkins Jr. has, or at least was, developing.
The Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/105StraightRotation) has only 59 likes and seems to have been abandoned by Allen. Actually, by everyone.

A couple of buddies and I have been playing it as a practice game for the last few months. We've been adjusting the rules to make the game a bit more difficult, particularly since the rules Allen has listed are in beta form per his site.
I really enjoy the game and I thought I'd post here to drum up any interest there might be, get other opinions on the game, and to discuss the game and ideas for the best rule set.

Allen's rules are:

- All 15 balls racked as shown in logo (see my avatar)
- Shoot until all balls are pocketed:
- First 10 balls in any order and pocket - worth 1 point each
- Last 5 balls must be in rotation (number order) - worth face value for points
- You do not "lose a turn" if you miss - shoot until all your balls are down. You're playing for a score.
- Balls made on break stay down. Breaking dry counts as a miss.
- Count misses and scratches:
- Each miss is minus 2 points (-2)
- Each scratch is minus 5 points (-5) and results in Ball-In-Hand (pocketed balls spotted)
- Total up your points for the rack and subtract for misses/scratches
- A perfect rack woud be 75 points:
- First 10 worth 1 point each, last 5 worth face value
- Optimal strategy is to always save 11,12,13,14, and 15 balls for the last 5 shots
11 + 12 +13 +14 +15 = 65 (combined with 10 pts for 1st ten equals 75 possible points)

Additionally we've been playing with the following rules:

- Scratch on the Break: Ball in hand is behind the head string. Pocketed balls are spotted.
- Call Two: You must call your object ball/pocket as well as your next ball/pocket. You are not required to shoot the second called ball/pocket, but failing to do so results in a 1 point penalty.
- Making Shape: Intentionally missing a ball with the intent of setting up position is permitted, but results in a 3 point penalty.
- Fouls: Any action which would normally constitute a foul is penalized as a scratch, a 5 point penalty.
- No Good Fortune: Any solid pocketed unintentionally is spotted. Stripes pocketed unintentionally during the straight pool phase stay down. Stripes pocketed unintentionally during the rotation phase are spotted.
- Pure Rotation: During the rotation phase the lowest numbered ball on the table must be struck and pocketed in a called pocket. No combinations nor slop allowed.

I believe that's everything we've added up to this point. If I think of anything I missed I'll edit.

Anyway, has anyone heard of it, played it, interested? I'd love to see some discussion on the game.

Scott

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, just bumping this because I never saw it post on the first page.

MikeMaaen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Allen's pool assesment test or a varation of it. He has a ranking of ability linked to how many total balls you make is somthing like 10 racks of straight pool but, shooting the last 5 balls in rotation. It's a great warm up for 14.1 and I like the variations you have put on it. I think I'll give it a try.

BackToIt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lovin 10.5 in va

Earlier this week I found a link to the straight rotation site on the homepage for the upcoming Expo in New Jersey this April. For me I guess the timing was right because the topic amongst me and my boo buddies was finding something to keep is interested in practicing As all the drills and challenges no matter how much fun they are initially they just not as fun as playing our games of choice. So I checked out the site read a little bit more checked out the rules and the score sheets you guys have added there with links to the TDS for them I ended up bringing them off making a couple of school books with information goes and gave them to a couple of my buddies now we're playing fairly regularly it's a lot of fun it seems easy when you first read it but not so much. We really like the concept of eliminating the defense. Everyone likes to use the term shot maker and throw it around all the time and this game really lets you see if a shot maker really is a shot maker. Also a lot of the guys also said that this game due to the length of play, almost 2xsame as 9-ball, and the fact you don't have to take turns during a rack really gives them an opportunity to get into rhythm.
If you haven't tried this out yet I suggest you take a look at the site download a couple of score sheets and give it a whirl you just might be surprised.
Good job to Mister Hopkins team!

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds similar to Fargo by Mike Page, interesting game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earlier this week I found a link to the straight rotation site on the homepage for the upcoming Expo in New Jersey this April. For me I guess the timing was right because the topic amongst me and my boo buddies was finding something to keep is interested in practicing As all the drills and challenges no matter how much fun they are initially they just not as fun as playing our games of choice. So I checked out the site read a little bit more checked out the rules and the score sheets you guys have added there with links to the TDS for them I ended up bringing them off making a couple of school books with information goes and gave them to a couple of my buddies now we're playing fairly regularly it's a lot of fun it seems easy when you first read it but not so much. We really like the concept of eliminating the defense. Everyone likes to use the term shot maker and throw it around all the time and this game really lets you see if a shot maker really is a shot maker. Also a lot of the guys also said that this game due to the length of play, almost 2xsame as 9-ball, and the fact you don't have to take turns during a rack really gives them an opportunity to get into rhythm.
If you haven't tried this out yet I suggest you take a look at the site download a couple of score sheets and give it a whirl you just might be surprised.
Good job to Mister Hopkins team!

I had considered building an Android app for score keeping. Ultimately I decided not to put in the time to do it since the game doesn't have much of a following. If there are enough people interested I'd reconsider building one.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I started playing this game in practice the other day and scored a 63 on my first rack before I got distracted. I really liked it a lot. It seems more fun than other similar games like equal offense etc.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm subscribing to this thread.

Sounds like fun and a good practice routine. I'll give it a try later today.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those that don't know,

This was one the equal offense or bowlliardsstyle of games tht Hopkins had been toying around with. This one using 15 ball with the rotation on the last five balls (2 points per ball instead of face value) was called Q-Skills. The 9-ball version was called Olympic 9-ball and very much felt like playing the ghost.

It was Q-Skills that led to the development of the game known as FARGO which has the element of choosing to go to start the rotation portion any time instead of the last five balls requirement.

FARGO was the brainchild of AZer mikepage of Fargo Billiards. The game was names by AZer Patrick Johnson (pj from chgo).

Freddie

Last edited:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Played 4 more racks of this today on the ten footer at my local room. Scored a 42, 60, 57 and a 55. Not great, but I rarely play on the 10 footer. A couple of dry breaks cost me a few points along with some dumb scratches. Also I can't get myself to shoot off the highest point stripes early even though it might stop me from compounding mistakes.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 4 more racks of this today on the ten footer at my local room. Scored a 42, 60, 57 and a 55. Not great, but I rarely play on the 10 footer. A couple of dry breaks cost me a few points along with some dumb scratches. Also I can't get myself to shoot off the highest point stripes early even though it might stop me from compounding mistakes.

I'll generally avoid pocketing the 13, 14, and 15, but the 11 and 12 are up for grabs if it will make the run easier and I'm not looking at a table where I can make 75.