12 Ways to AIM WITH A POOL CUE

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates 12 ways to use a pool cue to aim different types of shots. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 - Intro
0:35 ---- Rail Cut vs. Back Cut
2:42 - 1 – Visualize the Contact Point
3:16 - 2 – See the Angle
4:05 - 3 – Visualize a Ghost Rail
5:05 - 4 – Visualize the Ghost Ball
6:12 - 5 – Aim with Cue Pivot
7:15 - 6 – Visualize the Tangent Line
8:53 - 7 – Visualize the Natural Angle
10:46 - 8 – Use Bob’s Natural Angle Cue Trick
11:59 - 9 – Visualize Draw Shot Direction
12:54 - 10 – Visualize Full-Hit CB Direction
13:29 - 11 – Visualize Extended Diamond Distances
14:27 - 12 – Visualize One-Rail Kicks
15:34 - Wrap Up
15:58 ---- system montage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Another great post and video, thank you Dr. Dave!!!
#12=Visualizing 1 rail kicks raises a question I was about to start a thread on, maybe someone can answer here. In the number 12 example you use your cue to measure the distance from the cue ball to the diamonds, I was in that situation the other night and I used my cue to measure the distance from the center of the cue ball to the cushion for a 1 rail kick (I was not checking width to see if a ball would pass thru a gap) I was told that this was a foul and that you are not allowed to use your cue as a measuring device. According to BCAPL rules does anyone know if this is legal or not? I could only find info in the rules pertaining to measuring for a gap.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another great post and video, thank you Dr. Dave!!!
#12=Visualizing 1 rail kicks raises a question I was about to start a thread on, maybe someone can answer here. In the number 12 example you use your cue to measure the distance from the cue ball to the diamonds, I was in that situation the other night and I used my cue to measure the distance from the center of the cue ball to the cushion for a 1 rail kick (I was not checking width to see if a ball would pass thru a gap) I was told that this was a foul and that you are not allowed to use your cue as a measuring device. According to BCAPL rules does anyone know if this is legal or not? I could only find info in the rules pertaining to measuring for a gap.

This is nothing illegal about using your cue to aim shots, including the kick you describe, as long as you don't put the cue down and take your hand off of it, and as long as you don't mark the cloth with the chalked tip to create aim points.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is nothing illegal about using your cue to aim shots, including the kick you describe, as long as you don't put the cue down and take your hand off of it, and as long as you don't mark the cloth with the chalked tip to create aim points.
Thank you, thats what I thought, I just could not find a rule regarding it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I was told that this was a foul and that you are not allowed to use your cue as a measuring device. According to BCAPL rules does anyone know if this is legal or not? I could only find info in the rules pertaining to measuring for a gap.
Here is rule 1-3 1.f from page 24 of the CSI rule book:

f. You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot. You may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bank shots and kick shots. No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used. (AR p. 79).

It seems it is now OK to let loose of the cue stick while laying out shots.

The WPA rules are not clear on exactly what is permitted while planning shots.

And the CSI rules are not perfectly clear on some other uses. For example, some players use their cue stick to estimate the carom (tangent) line off an object ball. That is not an explicitly permitted use under the CSI rules and from a quick reading it seems to be banned.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, this is a new technique developed by Bob Jewett. He described and illustrated it in the January, 2021 issue of Billiards Digest.
Stunning Breakthrough! Just kidding. Ignorant questions:
Why 34 inches and what genre of math begat this exoboxity?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is rule 1-3 1.f from page 24 of the CSI rule book:

f. You may use your cue, held in your hand or not, to help align a shot. You may use your cue and hands to measure angles and distances for bank shots and kick shots. No other cues, bridges or equipment may be used. (AR p. 79).

It seems it is now OK to let loose of the cue stick while laying out shots.

The WPA rules are not clear on exactly what is permitted during planning shots.

And the CSI rules are not perfectly clear on some other uses. For example, some players use their cue stick to estimate the carom (tangent) line off an object ball. That is not an explicitly permitted use under the CSI rules and from a quick reading it seems to be banned.
On the other hand, it is not explicitly prohibited, so I would think it is OK since it is a reasonable use of equipment, not much different than visualizing lines and angle for other types of shots (e.g., banks and kicks).

Also, I couldn’t find anything in the WPA rules that prohibits use of the cue or the CB (if it is “in hand”) to measure distances (e.g., to see if a ball can clear a gap). Do you know if there is a rule or regulation that prohibits this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Loved the video...will let 'em laugh at the painter's tape on my cue...;)
I think the blue band looks cool, but I’m the kind of guy who doesn’t really care what a cue looks like as long as or works.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stunning Breakthrough! Just kidding. Ignorant questions:
Why 34 inches and what genre of math begat this exoboxity?
With the 90 degree pivot, the 34” forms a triangle with 24” (58” - 34”) creating a 35 degree angle which is how much the CB deflects with a 1/2-ball hit.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's keyed to the cut angle then?
It always produces a carom angle 35° from the CB's initial direction, which is fairly accurate for cut angles between 3/4 ball (60°) and 1/4 ball (15°) - maybe most accurate for about a half ball (30°) cut. (Cool version of Dr. Dave's "peace sign" concept, Bob.)
Are there other "nodes" for this trick?
What's a "node" in this context?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It always produces a carom angle 35° from the CB's initial direction, which is fairly accurate for cut angles between 3/4 ball (60°) and 1/4 ball (15°) - maybe most accurate for about a half ball (30°) cut. (Cool version of Dr. Dave's "peace sign" concept, Bob.)
See TP B.23 – Cue Pivot Point Required for Known CB Deflection. A better average pivot length value to use over the full 1/4-ball to 3/4-ball range is 36.5", but because the CB shifts down the tangent line with speed a little, even for slow speed shots, the 35" number is probably pretty good (assuming you visualize the butt line through the ghost ball). I adjust my peace sign spread for different cut angles and shift down the tangent line based on shot speed as demonstrated in the video below. A similar thing can be done with Bob's pivot approach.

What's a "node" in this context?
The pivot point.

Last edited: