12x36 lathe

JC

Coos Cues
You're good . Go check the Jet .
Take a flashlight and check inside the spindle to make sure it's smooth .
Those have open thread gears. I'd check those gears too.
Make sure you get the right gears for Imperial threads . They come with metric and imperial thread plates .
The inside bore of the through shaft my lathe was rough as a cob. I used an engine cylinder hone on it. Don't let that dissuade you, things can be overcome.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The inside bore of the through shaft my lathe was rough as a cob. I used an engine cylinder hone on it. Don't let that dissuade you, things can be overcome.
I know a future hall of famer who actually bored the hole with a very long boring bar.
I kid you not.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I know a future hall of famer who actually bored the hole with a very long boring bar.
I kid you not.
My first lathe, the one with 20” between centers, had a 7/8” bore. I took the head stock apart and deduce I could bore it to 1.125. Which was enough to do joint work. So I braised a piece of carbide to a piece of pipe and bored the hole. Worked pretty well.

Larry

robbycar

Registered
Hey John, can you please tell me the details of the tap size? I can cut it with my cnc, but it is very hard to measure.

I would buy your tap, but would cost too much to send to Australia.

Rob
I have a 12x36 jet and I can get a 29 inches of wood between centers on it but not enough room to taper. Moving from my taig lathe changed everything for me for the better.

I will sell you a tap to build a rear chuck with for cheap.

JC

Coos Cues
Hey John, can you please tell me the details of the tap size? I can cut it with my cnc, but it is very hard to measure.

I would buy your tap, but would cost too much to send to Australia.

Rob
The tap is a 45x1.5 mm H2 for the threads on my jet lathe.