14.1 beginner breaking

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I think you are doing something wrong if this is the case. Can you show us a standard break shot that is tough to shoot?

David says this is a creative shot. I am hoping to make a standard.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I'll ask again. What "pro" break shots are so difficult to reach that you need to invent "beginner" break shots?
I posted a picture below, its blackjacks video. Is he still alive?

In the beginning I could pocket the break ball, but not break the rack well enough. I suffered that for a few years.
From across the table I had issues with keeping my stroke level and balancing my weight during stroke.

The difficult part with the breakshot: was developing the proper stroke, aiming the shot properly and not getting hooked after the break.

To make that position easier, I switched to the bridge, moved the OB ball closer to the rack and learned how to power stroke it properly.
The bridge gave me solid footing and let me focus on stroke. The distance from OB to rack being shorter helped me narrow down where to strike it. Further out just felt more challenging because I miss more. Delivering the power stroke took some time but I got it down.

When I am watching top pros in 14.1 its like learning to repair by car without a manual. I have the manual on my stroke and aiming down much better and can enjoy 14.1 more.

1666655806318.png

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted a picture below, its blackjacks video. Is he still alive?

In the beginning I could pocket the break ball, but not break the rack well enough. I suffered that for a few years.
From across the table I had issues with keeping my stroke level and balancing my weight during stroke.

The difficult part with the breakshot: was developing the proper stroke, aiming the shot properly and not getting hooked after the break.

To make that position easier, I switched to the bridge, moved the OB ball closer to the rack and learned how to power stroke it properly.
The bridge gave me solid footing and let me focus on stroke. The distance from OB to rack being shorter helped me narrow down where to strike it. Further out just felt more challenging because I miss more. Delivering the power stroke took some time but I got it down.

When I am watching top pros in 14.1 its like learning to repair by car without a manual. I have the manual on my stroke and aiming down much better and can enjoy 14.1 more.

View attachment 667529
You have to be able to make this shot with the cue ball at mid table so you don't have to reach excessively. If David's cue ball were a ball width farther to the left he'd have a better break and would be standing at the side of the table with no reach.

Maybe using the bridge is a good diagnostic tool but it isn't the way to play long term. Just practice the shot and it will start going.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The sad news is that nobody wants to play any more. They want quick games that don't distract too much from their smart phones, and they certainly don't want to pay table time on games that take as long as 14.1, so good luck with all that. Just so you know, it's highly unlikely, borderline impossible I think, that you would ever see the same break shot twice.
Nobody is a salesman's tactic word, u are being negative as normal. Justnum is a positive thinker and yer eh - knot'. That is the more enlightening news.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
David says this is a creative shot. I am hoping to make a standard.

The heavier the stack i.e. humid conditions the break shot off stack will need to be hit softer, as the rack is heavier and ball off the rack will miss below - the corner pocket. With new cloth/dry conditions shot will need to be delivered with more speed (lighter rack) - if position of b.s. - is the same - consistency can and will be found. With this knowledge - the shot can be made with relative consistency. It is a pleasant surprise when you find success from this position.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The heavier the stack i.e. humid conditions the break shot off stack will need to be hit softer, as the rack is heavier and ball off the rack will miss below - the corner pocket. With new cloth/dry conditions shot will need to be delivered with more speed (lighter rack) - if position of b.s. - is the same - consistency can and will be found. With this knowledge - the shot can be made with relative consistency. It is a pleasant surprise when you find success from this position.
i thought of seen and did this shot before i seen that other people do it to lol

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Something to likely also consider re: the carom shot off the rack when the breakball is too high (?), though to a lesser degree, since rebound plays a more minor role.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Bzzt 14.1 continuous - is not call shot. It is call pocket. I have slopped many balls in the correct pocket in 14.1. Some knowledge from another dimension - call it professional knowledge - painfully normal earth cadet.

Bzzzt,

I'm not surprised you'd be ok taking a slop

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
It's actually call BALL and POCKET, so,,,,,,,,,,, Call Shot
No it is not call shot - hypothetical for this would b - if you have a beak shot down the rail and it bobbles the pocket - then goes one rail and returns to the desired pocket - the shot is good in 14.1. SO under u'r 'call shot' theory that would be slop and not allowed? So AGAIN for those who r a bit on de slow side - 14.1 continuous - is call pocket and has been for about three hundred years +. Welcome back from deep space reneagade - u may want to look into Gatorade. U can split hairs if u want - but 'call shot' is usually referenced in the bars - and inferior players. I once played Archer at a 14.1 tournament in new jersey, the same scenario as above did in fact happen and I was allowed to remain at the table. I am guessing u argued with the teacher when u were younger in school, remember he or she was just tryin to help u.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
You have to be able to make this shot with the cue ball at mid table so you don't have to reach excessively. If David's cue ball were a ball width farther to the left he'd have a better break and would be standing at the side of the table with no reach.

Maybe using the bridge is a good diagnostic tool but it isn't the way to play long term. Just practice the shot and it will start going.
The importance of practicing the lefty BS - is even greater when playing on the 5x10, as even taller players will have a stretch from southpaw side of the table. This is where the Pro's should be playing Straight Pool anyhue'.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not well, but I like studying breakshots.
Taking away the achievement by reasoning its unnecessary is lacking of motivation.

I play straight pool. I don't waste my time ignoring well designed shots. There is a lot to appreciate in the rules.

You just need to read between the lines. I am practicing right now, Straight Pool.

I converted a space into my now Pool Room Cyber Station. Call it cybertron for short. It has all the fixings minus the classified technology.
You sound like professor irwin corey