14.1 High Runs at on a 7’ Table vs a 9’ Table

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have to be awfully patient to play that old style 14.1. When I have a chance to blow open the rack, I generally do it, although it often doesn’t pay off and I have no control over where the CB ends up. It just seems like worrying about the angles to set up numerous softer pace breakout shots every rack is beyond my abilities.

You have to be awfully patient to play that old style 14.1. When I have a chance to blow open the rack, I generally do it, although it often doesn’t pay off and I have no control over where the CB ends up. It just seems like worrying about the angles to set up numerous softer pace breakout shots every rack is beyond my abilities.
Best example we have is Crane's 150 vs Balsis beginning with his first break shot at 14:30.

There were two reasons for playing that way. One - balls didn't open like they do now. Two - once a few balls were broken out they didn't want to tie up those balls that were already open.

What happened at 35:00 is a great example of how difficult it was to get the balls to spread. He hit it so hard the cue ball left the surface of the table and slammed into the pile and the balls sluggishly moved.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What happened at 35:00 is a great example of how difficult it was to get the balls to spread. He hit it so hard the cue ball left the surface of the table and slammed into the pile and the balls sluggishly moved.
...Not really that hard. The CB leaving the table was the result of top spin, or I suppose terribly done rails.

I wouldn't expect much more spread on my table with the balls in a non-frozen cluster like that. His point of contact on the cluster was a glancing hit on the second solid in. Considering, I think they spread fairly well...lol.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best example we have is Crane's 150 vs Balsis beginning with his first break shot at 14:30.

There were two reasons for playing that way. One - balls didn't open like they do now. Two - once a few balls were broken out they didn't want to tie up those balls that were already open.

Use of a Accu-Rack template for 14.1 play is a huge improvement for the game. There is a vast difference in how much more the balls are spread when all balls are racked perfectly frozen. The only downside is the issue of getting the template off the table after the break.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Not really that hard. The CB leaving the table was the result of top spin, or I suppose terribly done rails.

I wouldn't expect much more spread on my table with the balls in a non-frozen cluster like that. His point of contact on the cluster was a glancing hit on the second solid in. Considering, I think they spread fairly well...lol.
Interesting - what's your theory on why the balls didn't spread on his break shots?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The balls were actually spreading out rather well. He had more than enough to work with. The next BS where he had more angle the balls spread out beautifully.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Interesting - what's your theory on why the balls didn't spread on his break shots?
I watched the break shot you focused attention on in your post and nothing more. The explanation of my theory for that specific BS was not very well hidden in the reply you quoted.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the break shot you focused attention on in your post and nothing more. The explanation of my theory for that specific BS was not very well hidden in the reply you quoted.
You have never seen Crane's 150 and out vs Balsis in 1966?

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Here you go.
Love the way he kicks this run off too! Taps the pocket by him, fires in a wrap around dead ball to go on and run 150 to clinch a US Open title. That's the kinda stuff pool players dream about.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Would those have been clay balls at that time?
I'm pretty sure they were Hyatt phenolics in the Centennial design. Clay "dart" style balls had much thinner lines for the design and numbers. (The Centennial design is really hard to pick out, but I think I can see it in some closeups. The stripes have the numbers in the white which is a pretty good indicator.)