14.1 Tourney Amsterdam, NY Sunday March 7th

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
I will be holding a 14.1 tournament at Main Street Billiards in Amsterdam, NY (Albany area) on Sunday March 7th at noon. A beautiful new room with 8 Diamond Pro-Am 9 foot tables.

The format will be to qualify into a final 8 single elimination format, 75 or 100 points for the final 8 round depending on how many show to qualify, so we can conclude the event around 9pm including the final 8 round.

To qualify players will set up a breakball and rack the remaining 14, then run balls until they mis or foul, this is done 5 times and the 5 scores will make a total for that qualifying round, a qualifying round is what we will call a "buy-in". Players will have the chance to "buy-in" up to 4 times at $12 per buy-in to try and qualify into the final 8 single elim tournament. Top 8 scores (5 attempts added up) make the final 8, ties at the 8 spot will playoff using the qualifier format to see who makes the final 8.

For the players that do not qualify into the final 8, there will be a second chance 40 or 50 point single elim tournament for a first place prize only. No entry fee required for the second chance and 1st place in the second chance will pay 10% of what is in the main prize pool after all buy-ins are done.

Doors open at noon and we will have a short players meeting at 12:15 and get going quickly. Players will be allowed to practice by hitting 1 rack of balls prior to each of their buy-ins. $10 of each buy-in will go to a prize pool and the remaining $2 goes to table time. 100% payout.

Qualifying will run approx. between 12:30 and 3:30pm, the final round of 8 will begin approx. 3:30pm and conclude approx. 9pm.

Sunday March 7th - Noon registration/ no pre-registrations - Start 12:30.

$12 qualifier buy-in - up to 4 buy-ins per player.

Open event and is open to ALL players, no players excluded.

Main Street Billiards
35 East Main Street
Amsterdam, NY
www.amsbilliards.com

Hope to see you there!!

Tournament Director
Kevin Vidal
kevin@dominiakcuestour.com

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I will be holding a 14.1 tournament at Main Street Billiards in Amsterdam, NY (Albany area) on Sunday March 7th at noon. A beautiful new room with 8 Diamond Pro-Am 9 foot tables.

The format will be to qualify into a final 8 single elimination format, 75 or 100 points for the final 8 round depending on how many show to qualify, so we can conclude the event around 9pm including the final 8 round.

To qualify players will set up a breakball and rack the remaining 14, then run balls until they mis or foul, this is done 5 times and the 5 scores will make a total for that qualifying round, a qualifying round is what we will call a "buy-in". Players will have the chance to "buy-in" up to 4 times at $12 per buy-in to try and qualify into the final 8 single elim tournament. Top 8 scores (5 attempts added up) make the final 8, ties at the 8 spot will playoff using the qualifier format to see who makes the final 8.

For the players that do not qualify into the final 8, there will be a second chance 40 or 50 point single elim tournament for a first place prize only. No entry fee required for the second chance and 1st place in the second chance will pay 10% of what is in the main prize pool after all buy-ins are done.

Doors open at noon and we will have a short players meeting at 12:15 and get going quickly. Players will be allowed to practice by hitting 1 rack of balls prior to each of their buy-ins. $10 of each buy-in will go to a prize pool and the remaining $2 goes to table time. 100% payout.

Qualifying will run approx. between 12:30 and 3:30pm, the final round of 8 will begin approx. 3:30pm and conclude approx. 9pm.

Sunday March 7th - Noon registration/ no pre-registrations - Start 12:30.

$12 qualifier buy-in - up to 4 buy-ins per player.

Open event and is open to ALL players, no players excluded.

Main Street Billiards
35 East Main Street
Amsterdam, NY
www.amsbilliards.com

Hope to see you there!!

Tournament Director
Kevin Vidal
kevin@dominiakcuestour.com

Sounds like an interesting format. Similar to Bob Jewett's Straight Pool Challenge but using the average of your attempts.

Let us know how it works out, how long it takes, and what numbers people come up with if you can.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
My sister lives in Albany so maybe i will head up saturday, visit her and visit Amsterdam. Then be there Sunday to hopefully qualify !

I'll see if the wife wants to make the trip as well.

Steve

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
For those with curious minds, here is a full report of yesterday at Amsterdam, NY.

We had 14 players show up, I was hoping for a few more but was happy to have the support for the event from these players.

I got to the room at noon and they were ALL already there waiting for me LOL....

A players meeting to go over the format and rules ( I used all ball fouls) and we were off at 12:30 for the first round of buy-in's. Players had up to 4 buy-in's to use at $12 each to try and reach the final 8 single elim tournamnt, I used 75 points instead of 100 points for the final 8, worked out much better.. I got my cue out and quickly figured out how tough those Diamonds are for straight pool.........yikes!

I managed to get myself on the bubble in 8th place in the opening buy-in...lots of questions coming my way when I was playing but managed to do that anyhow. The second round of buy-in's comes and everyone that didn't make the top 8 is trying to knock me off that 8th spot. I buy-in again as well to try and get up the later, this time I land in the second slot in the top 8 after the second round of qualifiers...so now I am going to just sit...Chuck Hill bought back in as well after also being somewhere near 5th in the opening round and he put himself in 1st spot this time around...so he now sits as well. ...

The others are in a fierce battle with 2 buy-in's left knocking each other out of those 7th & 8th spots...the format was a bunch of fun!

At 3pm I call last call to use your buyin's that may be left...(you have to set a time for last call I realized). At last call 3 guys buy back and 1 of them misses getting in by 1 ball!

So the final 8 are set and we are off at 3:30 or so playing single elim 75 points. I seeded the field, top spot played 8th, 2nd spot played 7th etc...etc....The guys that missed the final 8 I ran a second chance single elim to 50 points for a cash prize for 1st place only...they all played in it and were happy to be able to keep playing (1 guy did leave before that started though). Ed Picallo, the guy that missed the final 8 by 1 ball, won that second chance tournament.

The top 8 tournament was a blast, and nobody wanted to give up anything! Thats the way it should be. The whole event including the final 8 tournament was over about 9pm! With everyone playing all day. This is the way 14.1 events should go in the future, people are home at a reasonable hour and had plenty of playing time, as opposed to the double elim standard format that keeps you there until 3am. So 12:30 to 9pm the whole thing wrapped up, and it wouldn't have mattered if 10 more players showed, the format would still happen in the same amount of time basically, as long as there are enough tables.

In the end yesterday, some guy from massachusetts made a comeback from being down 30+/- balls in the finals against one of Albany's best Tom Acciavatti. Gongrats to Tom and everyone that played!

Results:

1st - some guy from massachusetts
2nd - Tom Acciavatti
3rd/4th - Chuck Hill - Paul Picard
5th/6th/7th/8th - John Babravich - Rob Francoeur - Walter Rogowsky - Don Raiano

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey,

sorry we couldnt make it !

were there any high runs during the event ?

maybe next time.
Steve

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Hey,

sorry we couldnt make it !

were there any high runs during the event ?

maybe next time.
Steve

Steve, yes maybe next time.

No real large runs, the Diamonds were tough, none of us were used to them. Some runs in the 30's.

Kev