1993 Cleveland Invitational All Around Tournament - Grady Matthews vs Lou Butera

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accustats has given us a 14.1 match from this all around tournament featuring Grady vs Lou. Fun little match with commentary from Bill Incardona and the guy who promoted the event, Frank Zummo.

Very interesting comments about nine ball in the post match interview.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, I wanted to mention that in this match and a few others I've seen of him, did anyone know why Lou Butera played holding the chalk in his bridging hand all the time except for hand on rail shots? I've always found that interesting. Maybe it's just something he did and never noticed?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
By the way, I wanted to mention that in this match and a few others I've seen of him, did anyone know why Lou Butera played holding the chalk in his bridging hand all the time except for hand on rail shots? I've always found that interesting. Maybe it's just something he did and never noticed?
So he doesn't have to look for the chalk when he's shooting ten balls a minute.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So he doesn't have to look for the chalk when he's shooting ten balls a minute.
I remember the first time I saw Lou play was at the 1964 14.1 championship at the Commodore hotel in NYC.
He played twice as fast as he did in this match.
And by the way they both played pretty bad.
I played Grady one game of 14.1 in about 1985 at The Ballroom in Toms River N.J. and beat him.
And in true Grady fashion he said "I am spending an inordinate amount of time on the bench"
I had a lot of respect for him and had it been almost anyone else I might have said don't miss so much.
The next day he played Neptune Joe Frady 9 ball and Joe crushed him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the link. If you watch it on YouTube, Accu-Stats gets a little bit of money from the ads.

at first i thought this isn't very good play, then i thought this is seriously poor play, then grady got going and performed a brilliant run with good old school patterns. definitely worth watching

KeithK

I wish there was more video available of Lou when he was a little younger. There is one YouTube video of him playing straight pool in Japan and you get a little sense of how quickly he played. Wild to watch. Wish there was more.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish there was more video available of Lou when he was a little younger. There is one YouTube video of him playing straight pool in Japan and you get a little sense of how quickly he played. Wild to watch. Wish there was more.
I wish I had been at the LA tournament when he ran 150 in 21 minutes.