1993 Ortmann-Mizerak. Oliver @ age 26 with uncanny Straight Pool skills + instincts

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just found this one on Youtube. If this match is new to you, you’re in for a treat. Straight Pool has always been Oliver’s favorite game and he’s in absolutely dead punch here.

Ortmann, at age 26, amply demonstrates how he acquired his “The Machine” moniker.

His lightning-fast reading of ideal rack navigation patterns at an early age, plus his near-perfect cue ball control to execute those patterns, make it all seem so effortless (as is always the case when, as with Mosconi, it’s done this well). A totally inspiring -- and highly informative -- performance. This one’s a keeper for Straight Pool lovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVR-Vi7iv-I&feature=youtu.be

When Ortmann in a rare moment gets out of line on his key ball to set up his break shot, 14.1 aficionados will love his rapid-instinct position play, beautifully stroked at 25:28 to recover and land perfectly for the break.

Then, when moments later that break yields only a completely trapped cue ball at 26:16 an uncannily sportsmanlike Mizerak immediately steps up to show Oliver an awesome solution. The beauty of the shot that he points out to Oliver (and defines for the spectators), amazes everyone.

Arnaldo

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this one more than once, and I can't stop shaking my head in awe at the demonstration of prowess. I haven't yet found a more compelling 14.1 video to watch. Really special stuff.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you... nice link.

Great video.

So I learned some lessons about 14.1

1. Shoot all the balls into dead center pocket!
2. Always know where the clusters are going.
3. Have multiple rackers, in case you tire one or more of them out. :smile:

td

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen this one more than once, and I can't stop shaking my head in awe at the demonstration of prowess. I haven't yet found a more compelling 14.1 video to watch. Really special stuff.
My feelings exactly, Seth

And those who are familiar with the disappointingly lackluster final (looong mistake-ridden mutual performances) between Oliver and Miz at the '89 US Open in Chicago, will note that here -- 4 years later -- (in this NYC '93 Amsterdam Billiards matchup) Oliver has wisely and sensibly shortened the ridiculously-long, and counterproductive habitual bridge length he too-often employed in the Chicago event.

That said, he did literally rain 100's during pre-match practice sessions in Chicago, astonishing and even intimidating some of his opponents, most of whom had never seen or heard of this, then-22 year-old "new guy from Germany" who was shooting the lights out. (Pat Fleming of Accustats was quite familiar with Ortmann's European reputation and paid for Oliver's transportation and expenses for this initial Chicago stab at a major US 14.1 tournament.) Good investment; Ortmann won the tournament and Pat deservedly sold out on most of the dozen or so videotaped matches that emanated from the exciting tournament. I believe they're all thankfully now available from Pat as DVD conversions of the original VHS master copies.

Arnaldo

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Oliver's nickname "the Machine" is not a coincidence. One of my favourite players in the 90s. Awesome video! :thumbup:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Just found this one on Youtube. If this match is new to you, you’re in for a treat. Straight Pool has always been Oliver’s favorite game and he’s in absolutely dead punch here.

Ortmann, at age 26, amply demonstrates how he acquired his “The Machine” moniker.

His lightning-fast reading of ideal rack navigation patterns at an early age, plus his near-perfect cue ball control to execute those patterns, make it all seem so effortless (as is always the case when, as with Mosconi, it’s done this well). A totally inspiring -- and highly informative -- performance. This one’s a keeper for Straight Pool lovers.

When Ortmann in a rare moment gets out of line on his key ball to set up his break shot, 14.1 aficionados will love his rapid-instinct position play, beautifully stroked at 25:28 to recover and land perfectly for the break.

Then, when moments later that break yields only a completely trapped cue ball at 26:16 an uncannily sportsmanlike Mizerak immediately steps up to show Oliver an awesome solution. The beauty of the shot that he points out to Oliver (and defines for the spectators), amazes everyone.

Arnaldo

This was a great match, i was actually there at Amsterdam Billiards Club to see it live.

Nice to get to watch it again.

-Steve

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With Straight Pool still very much alive, serious players' interest in it re-invigorated worldwide, and not least -- several great 14.1 events coming up in the next few months, I thought it would be very timely and useful to bump this thread for new participants (and for re-watching by AZB-ers who might appreciate viewing this totally-in-the-zone, highly instructive Ortmann performance once again). Link is at page-top, but here it is again:

Arnaldo ~ always feel so good being virtually near The Miz and his natural, always good-humored sportsmanship

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I really miss Mizerak. One of the things Miz use to say about some of the young dynamos he played over the years was that "they were too young to know about pressure."

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i love that match, i've watched it three times. two other favorites are mike davis vs evgeny stalev (a beautiful pool mind) and darren's 200 and out vs bustie