2 Amazing Kick Shots at the Joss Tour from MD

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
I tell you what I did learn since you posted the video and that is how stiff he keeps his left arm. I tried this approach for a Day and a Half and it has done wonders for my game. I see what he see now and that is he really hit the CB and OB exactly where he is looking. I was really surprised at how lazy I was with this arm but now I am more focused on my mechanics. Thank you.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, I should've said who pissed in your ultrapad interior...that might've been funnier.

Btw...coolest avatar I've yet to see on Azbilliards.

Thanks. It happened by chance. Chicago Fire had an internet casting call for pool players last year. You had to email them pictures and "pool accomplishments," so my sister took some pics, in different poses, for me to send and as I was paging through them on the computer, lo and behold these back to back pictures. I figured I'd make an animated GIF and use it here.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with Scott on this one.

Yes, MD made a nice three-railer. He hooked himself in the corner and hit it well, and got fortunate with the po. Nice job.

But to have the terms "Efrenish" and "amazing" bandied about is a little absurd. I'm your average amateur and I knew he was going three rails out of the corner to hit it, which he executed well.

You know what should be reserved for "amazing and Efrenish?" Efren hitting the z-shot.

Who saw that coming? Who? Now that was amazing.

Watch the video again. Earl clapped for him when he hit it. Because he came with the amazing.

Bravo to Mike. I watched him at Steinway snapping off the Ginky and he's playing like an absolute beast these days. But put the Efrenish in your pocket for now.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I agree, it's a very good shot

I didn't say it was "a very good shot".

I said it was "a great shot" so in order to agree with me, you have to feel it was great. :wink:

but planned for and played perfectly? How else would you play it? There's no "planning." The way he played it is the way you HAVE TO HIT THAT SHOT.

Why are you yelling? :p

He planned it by drawing on his vast experience and talent on just where he needed to contact the first cushion, exactly where to hit whitey and if that part of it came together for him, how to get whitey out of that corner to give himself 9b position.

The way he played it, his execution, was flawless.

He planned it, he played it.

In the end, it was his tip that propelled the cue ball that allowed him to slide another bead over on his side.

Some clarification:

I was not amazed, nor did I think it was an amazing shot.

Mike got himself into trouble starting with the 6b then had to come with a ridiculous razor back cut on the 7, only to be forced to come with this great shot and executed it to perfection.

Getting so out of line a couple of times and having to right the ship twice made for some enjoyable viewing.

It was a dramatic way to win that game.

best,
brian kc

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting so out of line a couple of times and having to right the ship twice made for some enjoyable viewing.

It was a dramatic way to win that game.

On the above we certainly agree.

Obviously, there is a degree of planning, but you know, as well as Mike does, that the three railer is the only real "plan." Moreover, IMHO, and as stated by Joe before Mike even plays the shot, it's a plan any high C or better player can come up with and may even pocket. That's not amazing. It's simply a well played shot.

If he could pocket that ball better than half the time, then I might be amazed. As I said previously, I'm more amazed he didn't scratch on the seven.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
On the above we certainly agree.

Obviously, there is a degree of planning, but you know, as well as Mike does, that the three railer is the only real "plan." Moreover, IMHO, and as stated by Joe before Mike even plays the shot, it's a plan any high C or better player can come up with and may even pocket. That's not amazing. It's simply a well played shot.

If he could pocket that ball better than half the time, then I might be amazed. As I said previously, I'm more amazed he didn't scratch on the seven.

Me, too.

And even *more amazing* would be if you or I could do it. :smile:

best,
brian kc

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I guess it comes down to what you want to call "amazing." To me, amazing implies a high degree of surprise -- "Wow, I didn't see that coming!"

But the moment I looked at the position of the CB and 8-ball, I knew what/how he was going to shoot the shot; probably because I like to practice the shot -- it's a fun shot. Bottom line is it's hard to feel "amazed" when you know what someone is going to do.

I think Mike is one of the best shotmakers in the game and I've seen him make other shots that I didn't think were possible. Shots I didn't even imagine. Shots that were amazing.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it comes down to what you want to call "amazing." To me, amazing implies a high degree of surprise -- "Wow, I didn't see that coming!"

But the moment I looked at the position of the CB and 8-ball, I knew what/how he was going to shoot the shot; probably because I like to practice the shot -- it's a fun shot. Bottom line is it's hard to feel "amazed" when you know what someone is going to do.

I think Mike is one of the best shotmakers in the game and I've seen him make other shots that I didn't think were possible. Shots I didn't even imagine. Shots that were amazing.

Exactly.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Once upon a time, I knew a girl that worked at a 7-11.

Her name was Grace and she was pretty Amazing.

Now I have to go out and do a couple of good deeds for the day, otherwise I just moved down 2 rungs on the ladder.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think how Mike got himself in trouble and came out with the win fits anyone's definition of amazing. Let's not make the word something that it's not and then punch the word in the mouth.

It's amazing that he didn't scratch. Twice.

Freddie <~~~ thinks it was ****ing amazing

Last edited:

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think how Mike got himself in trouble and came out with the win fits anyone's definition of amazing. Let's not make the word something that it's not and then punch the word in the mouth.

I'll even go ahead and agree with this. But the three rail kick on the eight, in and of itself, is not amazing. Not to me.

If it amazes these guys that a top level player can make a half diamond and speed adjustment on a three rail kick, then so be it.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's amazing that he didn't scratch. Twice.

In fact. I won't even "go ahead and agree with this," I'll flat out say it. It's absolutely f*cking amazing he got out of that rack. By definition. It was f*cking amazing he won that rack. The three railer on the eight? No. Just part of an amazing sequence of events that all went Mike's way. Period.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think either of these shots were that amazing.

The 3 rail was almost dead straight, with maybe a quarter diamond adjustment needed max - and almost every C (or higher) level players knows the spot on the wall.

The 1 rail was nearly dead straight as well, if he'd had hit the long rail at 1.5 diamonds it would've came on the exact line to play the 1 in the side with good position on the next ball.

Good shots but nothing spectacular.

liakos

Banned
I don't think either of these shots were that amazing.

The 3 rail was almost dead straight, with maybe a quarter diamond adjustment needed max - and almost every C (or higher) level players knows the spot on the wall.

The 1 rail was nearly dead straight as well, if he'd had hit the long rail at 1.5 diamonds it would've came on the exact line to play the 1 in the side with good position on the next ball.

Good shots but nothing spectacular.

You must be a world beater!

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Would love to hear from Mike about the kick at the 1B in the second vid. These guys are pros. They don't just wildly kick at balls hoping for a good hit like most of us do. He had a plan and I'm guessing it was just hoping to end up with Phil hooked. It was not a difficult hit but I don't believe cutting that one in the corner was the plan. As far as the 3R in the first vid, that was not an easy shot. To just hit the eight maybe. To make it and get perfect shape on the nine...no way.