20 year old review of The Hustler. Nice read by one of the best.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading that, I see why the great critics are great. It is very similar to what a physiatrist does with the patient to get to the core issues hidden in surface actions.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only criticism of critic is the claim “skill can only carry you so far in pool”

Skill can carry you one hell of a long way in pool.

And did they hand to say “any seedy game” honestly why do we always get knocked like that. Isn’t polo seedy? Lol

Fatboy 😀

middleofnowhere

Registered
The movie had a more positive outcome than the book...in the book, Eddie caved to Fats’ backers.

...it always bothered me that Eddie didn’t do anything about the guys that broke his thumbs.
If I remember right, in the book it ends with Eddie and Burt going off like the end of Casablanca.

SlateMan

Registered
If I were a billionaire, I would buy the rights to the sequel (The color of money) and graphically add a really skinny Forest Whittaker in the last scene just walking bye Fast Eddie as he is about to break.

middleofnowhere

Registered
If I were a billionaire, I would buy the rights to the sequel (The color of money) and graphically add a really skinny Forest Whittaker in the last scene just walking bye Fast Eddie as he is about to break.
I recently saw The Godfather Coda: The Death Of Michael Corleone.
It is a recut of the original Godfather III.
It is, according to Coppola how he wanted it originally. In fact he did the intro.

I am sure there is lots of film sitting around that can be used to do a rerelease of COM altering it a bit filling some of the holes in the story. There is still a few bucks to be squeezed out of it.

It is still a mystery why Vince can play pool like he does. He has no real back story, Who the hell is he?

SlateMan

Registered
I recently saw The Godfather Coda: The Death Of Michael Corleone.
It is a recut of the original Godfather III.
It is, according to Coppola how he wanted it originally. In fact he did the intro.

I am sure there is lots of film sitting around that can be used to do a rerelease of COM altering it a bit filling some of the holes in the story. There is still a few bucks to be squeezed out of it.

It is still a mystery why Vince can play pool like he does. He has no real back story, Who the hell is he?
Vince was bitten by a really good pool player. (Hey it worked for that spider fella).

dquarasr

Registered
I recently watched The Hustler with a new appreciation for the game now that I’ve kind of immersed myself into getting better. Truly great flick, directing, and acting.

I must have been asleep, though, because I missed that Burt ordered Eddie’s thumbs to be broken.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one movie about pool that has the potential to be a blockbuster like The Hustler and Color of Money and it's a true story.

With the right writer, producer and director the story of Louie Roberts has that potential.

One thing I noticed early in the article was the reference to Fast Eddie as a "pool shark". When a pool player refers to another player as a shark he is accusing the player of intentionally trying to throw off the game of the other player. Fats talking constantly is an example. I've been called a shark a few times by bangers but it wasn't mean to be derogatory - just that I could play a little. Same word with two different meanings depending who says it.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I recently watched The Hustler with a new appreciation for the game now that I’ve kind of immersed myself into getting better. Truly great flick, directing, and acting.

I must have been asleep, though, because I missed that Burt ordered Eddie’s thumbs to be broken.
Yeah, I don’t think it happened....the thumbs scene was independent of the Fats action.

middleofnowhere

Registered
The movie had a more positive outcome than the book...in the book, Eddie caved to Fats’ backers.

...it always bothered me that Eddie didn’t do anything about the guys that broke his thumbs.
Eddie was no Tush hog. I think he was more a "Let sleeping dogs lie" kind of guy. His problem was being with Charlie for so many years. When he calls Charlie " A small time Charlie" he meant it. Charlies cautious way of doing things rubbed off on Eddie and he was beginning to realize and resent it.

People always wondered how Eddie could have been so cruel to Charlie but that was why. If you jump forward to COM where Eddie tells Vince his job is his problem. He is saying caution safety and security is what will keep him back. Risk is where the rewards are.

outrider1

Registered
I reccomend reading both books by the author, Walter Tevish. The Hustler storyline is very close to the movie. The Color of Money book has just about nothing in common with the movie.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I reccomend reading both books by the author, Walter Tevish. The Hustler storyline is very close to the movie. The Color of Money book has just about nothing in common with the movie.
I read com when it first came out. I don't think it would have made much of a movie. This is a summery from Wiki.

"The novel is set twenty years after The Hustler. Fast Eddie now runs a pool hall of his own. After seeing a lookalike of Minnesota Fats on the television, he decides to go in search of the real one, whom he finds in the Florida Keys. Eddie persuades Fats to go on a national tour. He meets Arabella, an English woman, who moves in with him. The finale is set at Lake Tahoe, where Eddie manages to best a number of younger players.

Television is a major subplot. At the beginning, Eddie watches most of his pool on the television, and tends to play the game by himself."

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes a great film should be left alone and not redone.

The Hustler was a movie like that. The Color of Money was
a sequel and it was a huge success. But trying to do it more
than twice is pushing the envelope too far. Don’t attempt to
do a John Wick series of films on great film achievements. If
you want to make another movie, at least be creative enough
to come up with an original new story or leave well enough alone.

outrider1

Registered
I read com when it first came out. I don't think it would have made much of a movie. This is a summery from Wiki.

"The novel is set twenty years after The Hustler. Fast Eddie now runs a pool hall of his own. After seeing a lookalike of Minnesota Fats on the television, he decides to go in search of the real one, whom he finds in the Florida Keys. Eddie persuades Fats to go on a national tour. He meets Arabella, an English woman, who moves in with him. The finale is set at Lake Tahoe, where Eddie manages to best a number of younger players.

Television is a major subplot. At the beginning, Eddie watches most of his pool on the television, and tends to play the game by himself."
I saw the movie, The Color of Money first and was disappointed in the story,plot,and quality of it. Last year, I got a copy of the book and was fascinated with it. Had the movie followed the book's storyline, it would have been on par with the Hustler movie and would be a classic also. It's a pity 😕

middleofnowhere

Registered
I saw the movie, The Color of Money first and was disappointed in the story,plot,and quality of it. Last year, I got a copy of the book and was fascinated with it. Had the movie followed the book's storyline, it would have been on par with the Hustler movie and would be a classic also. It's a pity 😕
COM to me is like finger nails on a chalkboard. I can't watch more then a few scenes without cringing. The diolog is moronic, it has plot holes you can drive a truck through. Even the acting is terrible. Tom Cruse is at his worst and Newman is embarrassing.
But talk to the average person and they liked it.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
COM to me is like finger nails on a chalkboard. I can't watch more then a few scenes without cringing. The diolog is moronic, it has plot holes you can drive a truck through. Even the acting is terrible. Tom Cruse is at his worst and Newman is embarrassing.
But talk to the average person and they liked it.
By far the best part of The Color of Money was the classic "Grady Seasons" line by Keith McCready:

"It's like a nightmare, isn't it?"