2009 US National Snooker Championship final online video

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that you can now watch the whole of the final of this year's United States National Snooker Championship at the Prince Snooker Club in Brooklyn on the SnookerUSA.com website.

The first frame is here...

http://www.snookerusa.com/video/2009usnationalchampionship_final_prabhakar-elsayed-frame1.php

...you can then follow the links for the other frames.

The first two frames are quite a good standard, but I think from then on both players suffered from a tight arm and nerves as they struggled to find any form.

But nevertheless, this is the first time that a final of a US National Snooker Championship has been available publicly to watch, so worth a look! :)

Thanks and best wishes.

Alan Morris.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that you can now watch the whole of the final of this year's United States National Snooker Championship at the Prince Snooker Club in Brooklyn on the SnookerUSA.com website.

http://www.snookerusa.com/video/2009usnationalchampionship_final_prabhakar-elsayed-frame1.php

The first two frames are quite a good standard, but I think from then on both players suffered from a tight arm and nerves as they struggled to find any form.

But nevertheless, this is the first time that a final of a US National Snooker Championship has been available publicly to watch, so worth a look! :)

Thanks and best wishes.

Alan Morris.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to watching it.

I'm not too concerned about the standard, I'm just happy to see it made available for viewing.

If only we could get the organisers of the World (English) Billiards Championships to video tape some matches. I don't really see an excuse for them not to, I doubt it costs them anything as I'm sure someone who works in the organisation owns a video camera.

SnookerAndPool

I Love Cue Sports!
Excellent! I'm looking forward to watching it.

I'm not too concerned about the standard, I'm just happy to see it made available for viewing.

If only we could get the organisers of the World (English) Billiards Championships to video tape some matches. I don't really see an excuse for them not to, I doubt it costs them anything as I'm sure someone who works in the organisation owns a video camera.

There is a good website called englishbilliards.org which has lots of coaching articles and coaching videos and also videos of English billiards breaks when it was on TV if you wish to watch them. (You need to sign up for free). The World Snooker association should film the English Billiards World Championship but I can't see it happening.

Hi everyone,

Thanks and best wishes.

Alan Morris.

Thank you for letting us know about this, I'm glad it had some internet coverage.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
There is a good website called englishbilliards.org which has lots of coaching articles and coaching videos and also videos of English billiards breaks when it was on TV if you wish to watch them. (You need to sign up for free). The World Snooker association should film the English Billiards World Championship but I can't see it happening.

QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm looking forward to watching those matches. I saw they have a video of Geet Sethi running an 800+ break. Certainly puts my 21 breaks to shame.

DKhan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are those two in the finals National US Champions or just regular "good" players at some local snooker halls who happen to be in the finals? Just curious! Ali El Syed seems to be an erratic player as seen from several of the shots he played.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Are those two in the finals National US Champions or just regular "good" players at some local snooker halls who happen to be in the finals? Just curious! Ali El Syed seems to be an erratic player as seen from several of the shots he played.

Ajeya Prabhakar won this Championship back in 2000, and was defeated in the final a year later - this was his first final appearance since 2001, though I think he was defeated in the quarterfinals for the past three years, losing to last year's Champion in the quarterfinal on the final black.

This was the first time Ahmed Aly El Sayed had been eligible to compete in the US National Snooker Champion, having previously represented his country of birth, Egypt, on the international stage.

There were a number of top American players missing from this year's Championship as they were unavailable to compete, notably the two previous Champions, George Lai and Jack Kung, which was a great shame as they missed a wonderful event.

This year could be the last time we have an "all-in-one" National Championship, as we are proposing from next year to stage qualifying events around the United States in order to accommodate more players, with the finals being played in Las Vegas.

I'll have more details about this once everything has been agreed and finalized.

Best wishes.

Alan.

DKhan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Alan for your thoughtful input. Perhaps I was comparing Ajeya and Ahmed to world pros.
This year could be the last time we have an "all-in-one" National Championship, as we are proposing from next year to stage qualifying events around the United States in order to accommodate more players, with the finals being played in Las Vegas.

I'll have more details about this once everything has been agreed and finalized.
I am very eager to participate but not sure of how, when and where to get "qualified" for any local tournaments and/or the upcoming National snooker championship at Las Vegas. Never played any tournaments here in the US and have been very much out-of-shape, though did practise a few times at the Embassy Billiards in San Grabriel, CA and believe I can still, at the least, "get ready" and take the "heat" whilst figure out where I stand given my current standard of play and personal situations. Please advise, thanks.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Thanks Alan for your thoughtful input. Perhaps I was comparing Ajeya and Ahmed to world pros. I am very eager to participate but not sure of how, when and where to get "qualified" for any local tournaments and/or the upcoming National snooker championship at Las Vegas. Never played any tournaments here in the US and have been very much out-of-shape, though did practise a few times at the Embassy Billiards in San Grabriel, CA and believe I can still, at the least, "get ready" and take the "heat" whilst figure out where I stand given my current standard of play and personal situations. Please advise, thanks.
Hi there,

Don't worry, all the future details will posted on the SnookerUSA.com website, and there will undoubtably be at least one qualifying event for next year's National Championship at the Embassy Billiards Club.

Best wishes.

Alan.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I am very eager to participate but not sure of how, when and where to get "qualified" for any local tournaments and/or the upcoming National snooker championship at Las Vegas. Never played any tournaments here in the US and have been very much out-of-shape, though did practise a few times at the Embassy Billiards in San Gabriel, CA and believe I can still, at the least, "get ready" and take the "heat" whilst figure out where I stand given my current standard of play and personal situations. Please advise, thanks.
There will almost certainly be a qualifier at San Gabriel. To enter that tournament (or any other qualifier), you simply sign up for it, pay your entry fee and become a USSA member. The entry fee will probably be around $75 while the USSA membership is $25 per year. I think you can enter more than one qualifier until you are qualified, but it would involve a lot of travel, given the distance between snooker oases in the US.

In recent past US National Championships, the typical maximum break has been something like 55 or so -- to set your expectations.

Good luck, and I hope to see you at the Nationals.

Bob Jewett
Treasurer, USSA

DKhan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update, Alan and Bob, that's great news. Embassy Billiards is the closest to where I live (about 30-40 minutes drive) and shall contact them for their regular and qualifier tournaments. I've only been there twice, practised for several hours on one of the 3 tournament tables @ $22.50 an hour (discounted) and do find the tables somewhat below overall standards as I see it, I'm afraid to mention; otherwise quite satisfactory.

There will almost certainly be a qualifier at San Gabriel. To enter that tournament (or any other qualifier), you simply sign up for it, pay your entry fee and become a USSA member. The entry fee will probably be around $75 while the USSA membership is $25 per year.
I shall certainly check into it.

I think you can enter more than one qualifier until you are qualified, but it would involve a lot of travel, given the distance between snooker oases in the US.
Las Vegas would just be fine, if I can only make it to the qualifying round.

In recent past US National Championships, the typical maximum break has been something like 55 or so -- to set your expectations.
My past highest break was 87 and several 40s - 60s (around 25 years ago). In one of the friendly games playing with a friend of mine a month ago at the Embassy (after a lapse of 12 years), I did manage to score a high 42, surprisingly.

Thanks, and I sincerely keep a positive approach towards the Nationals. I adore the game but sadly and unfortunately enough I wish I could spend/give more time into it, given all the odd circumstances.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
There will almost certainly be a qualifier at San Gabriel. To enter that tournament (or any other qualifier), you simply sign up for it, pay your entry fee and become a USSA member. The entry fee will probably be around $75 while the USSA membership is $25 per year. I think you can enter more than one qualifier until you are qualified, but it would involve a lot of travel, given the distance between snooker oases in the US.

Bob Jewett
Treasurer, USSA
Hi Bob,

Good to see you commenting on this thread and thanks for your input.

There were two breaks in the 60s in this year's Championship, which were made by the respective finalists.

The highest break of all time in the US National Championship I believe is 126 by Tom Kollins - I think that was in 2001.

Yes I am in favor that players will be permitted to enter more than one qualifier around the country until they have successfully qualified.

Best wishes.

Alan.

Shortside K

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to see the game being played a bit in the U.S.
Its a terrific game and its a shame it isn't played more.

I have a couple of questions:

Are the tables pockets cut the same as the English tables? i.e. are they "rounded" or "flat cut" pockets?

What size balls are used in the U.S.? I have seen reference to several different sizes. I believe the English standard is 2 1/16" balls.

In Canada, where I live, snooker is making a small comeback with the "older guys", but almost no younger players showing interest. I know of several local fellows that regularly run centuries.

Alan Morris

U.S. Snooker Association
Silver Member
Good to see the game being played a bit in the U.S.
Its a terrific game and its a shame it isn't played more.

I have a couple of questions:

Are the tables pockets cut the same as the English tables? i.e. are they "rounded" or "flat cut" pockets?

What size balls are used in the U.S.? I have seen reference to several different sizes. I believe the English standard is 2 1/16" balls.

In Canada, where I live, snooker is making a small comeback with the "older guys", but almost no younger players showing interest. I know of several local fellows that regularly run centuries.
Hi there,

The United States Snooker Association only recognizes the international (or "English" as you remarked) version of snooker, so the snooker balls used must be 2 1/16" in diameter.

At this moment we do not require our events to be played on templated tournament pockets, however the pockets must conform to the international rounded design.

Best wishes.

Alan.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed that you mentioned that this was the first year that one player was eligible to play in the event, what qualifying requirements are there for landed immigrants and those living in the US on work visas? Does this event qualify players for the worlds?