2011 Missouri State Amateur Nine-ball Championship 11-13th Feb, 2011

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
great job

1st - Jarrid Easton (Joplin area)
2nd - Underclocked (Greenfield)
3rd - Brandon Spitler (believe from Branson area)
4th - Aaron Stoker
5th - Ivan Sweezer
6th - Kenny Turner

Hope I spelled the names correctly.

Jarrid and I played for the winner's bracket where I suffered my first loss in the final double-elimination. Brandon beat Aaron, I got past Brandon, then won the first match against Jarrid in the final. We went hill-hill but Jarrid won the last game.

I feel tortured.

Never heard of Jarrid Easton.

Congrats on your finish.....

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Thanks. Jarrid plays very well.

Ivan and I compared notes and decided we were both too damned old. :smile:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice shooting rich.what time you all finish? we left after ed made history and extended it to a three way wildcard tie. great time this weekend

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Thanks. I think it was about 11:30 when we finished. If it hadn't been for Snickers candy bars, I would never have made it. My knee held up much better than it did Friday night and doesn't seem to be as swollen today as it was Saturday.

Phil told me after the final that if you were 60 or over, winning 1st would not preclude you from playing the following year. I told him that I sure wished he had told me before the tournament, then I wouldn't have let that Jarrid kid win. :grin: ;)

Truth is I was very fortunate to get as far as I did and managed to get past some great players with a lot of luck. With very few exceptions, most every one of the participants was a gentleman and conducted themselves in fine fashion.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
How many players did they get - I remember when this tournament would be full of champions. It has unfortunately lost it's luster.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I thought it filled up completely - not sure if that's 64 or ... ?? though.

I've never heard of Jarrid, Ivan or Kenny. Hrmm oh well, I dont know most players.

The only guy I know who played was Tattoo John, heard he didn't make it out of the Friday flight.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
The bracket was full and several were turned away. It used to be the 9-States tournament and that did draw in a lot more talent. But there was no lack of talent this year either. Some very good players were in attendance.

Some of us are getting long in the tooth and that hurts anyone's game but Ed Libby, Jerry Terbrock, Ivan Sweezer, and even Snooker John made me feel a bit less out of place. There were other old farts as well.

The finals were a bit disappointing to some, myself included. I was next to exhausted and didn't play as well as I had in some of the prior matches. Jarrid had drank a few too many brews during the long wait for the finals and I'm sure that hurt his game a little, especially in the first final match.

Watchez, where were you? :)

Last edited:

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Forgot to add, the full bracket was 80 players and I'm sure they could have gone to 96 but that would extend the tournament beyond reason. As it was, I played until 4am on Saturday morning.

I also understand the Missouri State 8-ball championship will be played at Billiards this fall.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let's see ed libby,dave hathman ,john turpin,tattoo john,jerry terbrock,martin warren.darren everrett couldn"t play.yeah i'd say it's lost it's luster

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a pleasure meeting everybody this weekend. Rich, I thought you played great all weekend and the final seemed to be enjoyable for everyone. Brandon played a real solid set against me despite having a bad cold, so props to him for hanging in there in that condition. I came into the tournament hoping for a win, but honestly after facing a do-or-die against Snooker John on Sunday morning and then Terbrock and Libby in the loser's bracket Sunday night, I felt fortunate just to end up where I did. Looking forward to next year.

Aaron

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Those are some great players but when I first went to this tournament it was filled with Terry Huelsman, Ricky Van Uum, Andy Quinn, Martin Schulte, Mike Banks Sr and Jr, Danny Harriman, Charlie Darling, Craig Bickford, Bill Crowell, Joe Woolford, Jay Pettlon, Rich Seger just to name a few. The tournament has chased players away not kept them around. That makes it a shame and lack the luster.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Dennis and Aaron - it was my pleasure to meet you both. Look forward to encountering you guys in the future.

It may lack a bit of luster but it's still a tough row to hoe. Someone told me that had I won first, I would have been the oldest player to ever win it. Maybe I'm not ready for the pasture just yet.

What's with the negative vibes? ;)

ps: Watchez, I've played most of the guys you mentioned at one time or another and did very well. All that was in the distant past though. I was and am terrible with names (worse nowadays). My guess is that location has a lot to do with some players not participating. Columbia was a lot closer for many folks, but that location made the difference for another whole set of players that didn't go because of the distance. The 9-states was a great tournament played at Billiards/Springfield and I would like to see it return. Maybe I could still spank Bucky Bell. ;)

Last edited:

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are some great players but when I first went to this tournament it was filled with Terry Huelsman, Ricky Van Uum, Andy Quinn, Martin Schulte, Mike Banks Sr and Jr, Danny Harriman, Charlie Darling, Craig Bickford, Bill Crowell, Joe Woolford, Jay Pettlon, Rich Seger just to name a few. The tournament has chased players away not kept them around. That makes it a shame and lack the luster.

Watchez, you might be a bit surprised at the level of play down there. I have played against most of the guys on your list, but I was still pleasantly surprised at the high level of play overall. I didn't have time to sweat many matches, but I was particularly impressed with Brandon Spitler, Jim Helt, Underclocked, Kenny Turner, and Jarrid Easton, just to name a few. And for those of you who don't know Ivan Sweezer, suffice it to say that the dude is a force to be reckoned with, and a hell of a good guy to boot.

Aaron

Antmo

Registered
info on ivan

Ivan is from centralia Missouri. I heard he has got 5, 5 years in a row. He's really good, but his vision isn't the greatest now a days.