AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wu in fiery form
Breaks nails long 1 then tough 2 and runs out to win the title :grin-square:

11-4

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
:happydance:Congratulations Wu Jiaqing, the 2016 China Open 9-Ball champion!!!:happydance:

y195251448200785.jpg

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Little Genius is back. Well done :D

All his opponents did not win more than 5 racks except for Ko and Niels :D
Superb display of power and finesse by Wu

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Well one thing I will say after watching this tournament is that it is nice to see a tournament run with officials and with no music blaring throughout the venue which is decidedly unlike the better majority of tournaments in the states.

Example is Turning Stone. Watching the stream and having to hear loud obnoxious music from the 80's & 90's constantly blaring in the background while people attempt to play a game that requires inordinate concentration to excel at. I've never understand that carnival atmosphere that surrounds this game in most venues.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Well one thing I will say after watching this tournament is that it is nice to see a tournament run with officials and with no music blaring throughout the venue which is decidedly unlike the better majority of tournaments in the states.

Example is Turning Stone. Watching the stream and having to hear loud obnoxious music from the 80's & 90's constantly blaring in the background while people attempt to play a game that requires inordinate concentration to excel at. I've never understand that carnival atmosphere that surrounds this game in most venues.

Japan Open has jazz music. :D

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Japan Open has jazz music. :D

Which is not obnoxious. I recently played in a "State Championship". The venue in which it was held had a music system that played at one volume when "house music" was playing & when someone played the jukebox the volume doubled automatically.

I had the misfortune of playing in a semifinals match with a guy who'd apparently just dumped his girlfriend & she was of the disposition that every match he played in during the tournament his ex-girlfriend would go to the jukebox & plop in a $20 bill and played 3 Alanis Morrisette songs about getting dumped, over & over throughout his matches while she sat & glared at him. Simply a charming experience.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
:clapping:Congratulations Han Yu, the 2016 China Open 9-Ball women's champion!!!:clapping:

hanyu.jpg

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Wu went 55-22, giving up an average of 4.4 games per match from the last 32 to the finals.

I think that can be classified as a dominating performance..

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, big jump in Fargorate points for Wu after this China Open win dominating big monsters field
Now above 830 points. He was less than 830 before this :smile:

Jiaqing Wu CHN836
Shane Van Boening USA822
Dennis Orcollo PHL815
Niels Feijen NED808
Kai Lun Hsu TPE806
Johann Chua PHI804
Jianbo Fu CHN803
Pin Yi Ko TPE803
Carlo Biado PHI803
Kun Lin Wu TPE803
Yu Lung Chang TPE800
Alex Pagulayan CAN800
Antonio Lining PHI799
Francisco Bustamante PHI798
Jayson Shaw GBR798
Ronnie Alcano PHI797
Jundel Mazon PHI796
Lee Van Corteza PHI795
Yu Hsuan Cheng TPE795
He Wen Li CHN794

:D

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
nice comeback by Yu, and a nail biter finish on that nine ball

Lu Shasha got to the hill first, way ahead and couldn't finish it. Han Yu took the chances and finished strong.

Also, women's final were AFTER men's final ... given nice evening timezone whereas men's final was in the afternoon. I don't see that in many(any?) sporting events where both men's and women's events take place together.

Looks like well run event, except for their internet streaming which sucked (I gave up watching it live ... it was like watching Mike Dechaine's match where opponent racks).

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
this is probably the most awkward championship point i've seen. note that it's hill-hill too! :grin-square:

china open womens.jpg

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All -

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this year's China Open.

A total of 4 players from the USA attended this event. Oscar Dominguez, Corey, Greg Harada, Robert Hart (Kevin Hart's brother), and myself (Phillip Prentice).

Everyone besides myself got an invite to stage 2. Not sure how Robert Hart got an invite as he plays close to B speed but that isn't important.

After getting stranded in Beijing Saturday, I finally get a flight to Shanghai early Sunday morning, the first day of qualifiers. My first match was against a strong Japanese player Kenichi. We both struggled early in the match while adjusting to the speed of the cloth. It was fairly close until about 3-3 and Kenichi pulled away. He got some fortunate rolls but also played very well.

Next day I draw a young kid from TPE and again was trading racks until midpoint. I attempted a jump shot at 5-4 him and fouled. I never shot again.

Third and last day of qualifications I draw a young Filipino. I lost the lag by 1/8" and my first trip to the table I'm stuck 7-0! I run out, break and run, but scratch on next break and that was it.

It was a great experience filled with world class players. I do feel that winner breaks format in the qualifier needs to change. With the speed of those tables, a ball pocketed on the break almost always ends in a win.

What really upsets me is even the players who won each round to qualify received no monetary prize. In fact they still need to pony up money for stage 2. Someone asked how they can afford to payout $1500 to all stage 2 players. The answer is from all the money collected from guys like me playing stage 1.

I traveled with Oscar and Greg and wanted to support them for stage 2. In prior years, and if you played stage 1 you were given a pass to watch the main tournament. This wasn't the case this year :-(. Not only was I not given tickets, there was zero information on where to purchase any. I arrive to the arena only to be met by 28 security guards barring my entry. Absolutely nobody spoke English and nobody knew who was in charge. It was a major shit show. Needless to say, I wasn't able to attend the tournament and show my support, which was rather disappointing.

To further my annoyance, I find out that Corey didn't even fly out and Robert Hart got sent back to the states after landing in China without a visa! Seriously, who does that? I would have loved to have played in stage 2....but instead those spots went to some TPE players because they were no shows.

All in all I had a great time and look forward to playing again next year!!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk