2021 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
85.... just matched last year's efforts. Whoops, just checked... New personal best hooray me (y)

Had 4 left on the table. Missed a very shallow bank side shot instead of attempting a modest cut that would have forced a trap filled CB path to my next ball. I hadn't made a bank in days...lol. It was still the right shot. damn it...

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
85.... just matched last year's efforts. Whoops, just checked... New personal best hooray me (y)

Had 4 left on the table. Missed a very shallow bank side shot instead of attempting a modest cut that would have forced a trap filled CB path to my next ball. I hadn't made a bank in days...lol. It was still the right shot.
I should have been clearer. I was playing very bad in yesterdays 4 hour session, so bad that the most i ran was in the 20s
My high run was ten years ago 205 I have no proof only my word, and people who know me know my word is my bond !
There’s no reason to question anyone’s high run, unless perhaps it is a world record high run – LOL! My high run of 98 nearly 20 years ago had absolutely no witnesses as it was late at night in a solo practice session and no one else was in the pool room other than myself. Similarly, my only hole-in-one in golf was when I was playing by myself - just my luck!

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 57 yesterday. On a 7ft diamond. I got stuck in the rack after a breakshot. Frustrating, I am sure you all understand.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the board with a wild 15:) Missed the break shot, and went from there. Video sped for my short attention span.
First post updated.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the board with a wild 15:) Missed the break shot, and went from there. Video sped for my short attention span.
First post updated.

Your only hope on that angle you left for the break ball was to hit that shot a little easier and just be satisfied with brushing the right side of the rack and hopefully not scratching, or strike it with bottom inside left coming off the right side cushion and end cushion behind the rack and coming in to the bottom of the rack with the cue ball. By striking it so hard, you had no chance of running in to the rack.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not a fan of these sped up videos. Have to constantly pause it to get some idea of what you're trying to do.
Noted. However I would never be able to watch my slow azz play at real time speed on video. I'd go do something else instead:) And I don't want to wish that upon you, either:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Noted. However I would never be able to watch my slow azz play at real time speed on video. I'd go do something else instead:) And I don't want to wish that upon you, either:)
It's always possible to use YouTube's control of speed (from 1/4 to 2x) to adjust things. Maybe set to 2x when you upload so people can view it at 1/2 to 4x actual.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 57 yesterday. On a 7ft diamond. I got stuck in the rack after a breakshot. Frustrating, I am sure you all understand.
I ran 44 tonight on our 7-foot Diamond. I’ve decided my only possible shot at ever reaching 100 is on a 7-footer and not on a 9-footer, so I’m sticking to the small table for awhile, to see how it goes. I feel there’s no reason I can’t do it on the small table.

Of course, even if I’m able to do it, most 14.1 purists like myself would say a 100 ball run on a 7-footer can’t be compared to a 100 ball run on a 9-footer.

Last edited:

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran 44 tonight on our 7-foot Diamond. I’ve decided my only possible shot at ever reaching 100 is on a 7-footer and not on a 9-footer, so I’m sticking to the small table for awhile, to see how it goes. I feel there’s no reason I can’t do it on the small table.

Of course, even if I’m able to do it, most 14.1 purists like myself would say a 100 ball run on a 7-footer can’t be compared to a 100 ball run on a 9-footer.
Running 100 on a 9-footer is the goal for me. I look at running 100 on a 7-footer as a stepping stone to help break the mental barrier. Good luck to you. I hope you get there.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For context, my high run is 37, 3 years ago. I've been playing straight pool on my home table for about 10 years now, always going for a high run. (off and on, much less than I play the 9 ball ghost). I've been racking up and starting over every miss that whole time. This week I decided to keep playing out the rack after a miss. This means I can get a lot more practice with the later parts of the rack, setting up the break, and shooting a lot of different break shots. I should have done it like this years ago. This probably doesn't matter for someone that can easily run multiple racks, but for me, where I routinely don't get into the second rack, this may help me. Fingers crossed:)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Running 100 on a 9-footer is the goal for me. I look at running 100 on a 7-footer as a stepping stone to help break the mental barrier. Good luck to you. I hope you get there.
I feel exactly the same - the mental barrier is my biggest obstacle in my quest for this goal.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Really...? I always had it in my head that playing on a more congested 7ft'er would be way more difficult.

I wouldn't call myself a 14.1 purist or even enthusiast at this point, so take my opinion with a grai of salt.

I understand the math behind the likelyhood of a badly hit long shot being more likely to rattle out rather than a short shot. I also understand that there's 'more' long shots on larger tables. I just didn't think the game was played with the top half of the table so what does the table size really matter in that regard...?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really...? I always had it in my head that playing on a more congested 7ft'er would be way more difficult.

I wouldn't call myself a 14.1 purist or even enthusiast at this point, so take my opinion with a grai of salt.

I understand the math behind the likelyhood of a badly hit long shot being more likely to rattle out rather than a short shot. I also understand that there's 'more' long shots on larger tables. I just didn't think the game was played with the top half of the table so what does the table size really matter in that regard...?
The game of 14.1 might be played on half the table for top level players, but not for amateur 14.1 players. Compared to a 9-foot table, there just aren’t many tough shots on a 7-foot table, even for a higher skilled amateur. Also, I find breaking out clusters and problem balls is easier on a smaller table.

Certainly on a 7-footer, you are likely to hit your break shots with much more power to try to spread the rack, as there’s no reason not to utilize the entire table, since there are virtually no long shots on a 7 foot table. Trying to play 14.1 on half a 7-foot table would just be too difficult with all the traffic.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

For me, the smaller table makes shooting balls up table a more viable option that can really simplify the pattern. They are certainly makeable on a 9 footer, but there is little risk on the 7 foot table. As far as clusters are concerned, there may be more of them but everything is closer to a rail. So clusters seem ‘bigger’ and harder to miss, if that makes sense.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran a 71 today. I felt a little more confident as the run progressed. I was left with cue ball frozen on the head rail with two options, a tough billiard and a off angle combo. I shot the billiard and missed.