2022 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran 6 racks and missed the break ball on the 7th. I tried breaking with more control and working on choosing the right patterns on the last 5-6. I realized it helps me to identify my break and key ball early as possible and just try and clear the table around them. Taking a few practice swings from where you want to land on the break ball helps too. I can’t shoot the same speed as I do 8-9 ball so finding the right tempo on a long run seems to be key for me.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve wanted to participate in this challenge the past couple years but can’t play on a decent level, though I do really like 14.1.

High run is 15 balls back in July. Basically a full on smash break and run. I can do this probably 10% of the time.

For me it’s not if I can run 100, it’s how many balls in hand does it take to pocket 100.

kanzzo

hobby player
You've heard the term "he's playing 9ball straight pool". One characteristic of that is playing "area" position. Now I'm not saying that's what you're doing. If we classify area position as 1 and exact pinpoint position as 10 then I'd say that in general you're most often operating in the 5-8 range. In this game that's hurting you. Getting up in the 7-10 range will reap major benefits. It seems you've got the skills to do it. You have to focus on it and believe in it's importance.

Precise CB direction will also improve your results when going into clusters. I've seen numerous times in your videos where you've broken clusters with less than optimal results. You're aware of when this happens. From my viewpoint it's usually a result of the wrong contact point (sometimes that's a result of a bad angle which may be related to what I described above) or wrong speed or a combination of the two. I'd suggest going back and taking a look at those instances on video. Pause before you shoot the shot and analyze the cluster more closely. I think in most cases you'll see what I saw and realize what went wrong.
I did take your words seriously and hearing them in my head whenever I play. Still took a long time to put it into high runs.

Run of 77 from today (on 4 1/4 '' pockets). My personal best and a pretty clean run. So I am quite proud of my accomplishment. (But man, is it hard to run 70+. Looks much easier on video, if s.o. else does it ☺️)

100 doesn't seem to be far away now

Last edited:

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Been playing good last few weeks. Had a 68, then a 70 a few days ago, both set new personal high runs. Then this AM, ran a 41 and missed (aargh). Set up a new breakshot and ran a 90! I was elated and also upset because I played the last rack with more nerves and tension than the first 85 balls and ended up out of position, frozen to the rail and missed a thin cut in the side. Still super happy as 100 is within sight!

Playing at home with favorable table conditions for 14.1, antique table with new cloth this year, new cushions, 5.25" pockets.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm starting to lose hope on repeating another century this year. So much time with the table in pieces and not enough time to find my groove this year has me fighting to get beyond 3-4 racks. :(

Times not up just yet though. Lots of balls can find pockets over the next 2-1/2 days

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did take your words seriously and hearing them in my head whenever I play. Still took a long time to put it into high runs.

Run of 77 from today (on 4 1/4 '' pockets). My personal best and a pretty clean run. So I am quite proud of my accomplishment. (But man, is it hard to run 70+. Looks much easier on video, if s.o. else does it ☺️)

100 doesn't seem to be far away now
You're getting there. Go back and compare this run with the 8ball ghost video you posted. I think you'll note that your position in the 77 is rather sloppy compared to the 8ball. Offhand I'd say you only had 2 position errors in the 8ball neither of which were terrible.
Start bringing the same level of pattern analysis and precision to your 14.1 play and 100 will come fairly quickly.
It's not so much that you were playing differently but your mindset was different.
In 14.1 you're not striving for that exact position and/or angle like you were in the 8b. It might not seem as important due to the fact you may have multiple options and that leads to letting your guard down and becoming a little sloppy. JMO

kanzzo

hobby player
You're getting there. Go back and compare this run with the 8ball ghost video you posted. I think you'll note that your position in the 77 is rather sloppy compared to the 8ball. Offhand I'd say you only had 2 position errors in the 8ball neither of which were terrible.
Start bringing the same level of pattern analysis and precision to your 14.1 play and 100 will come fairly quickly.
It's not so much that you were playing differently but your mindset was different.
In 14.1 you're not striving for that exact position and/or angle like you were in the 8b. It might not seem as important due to the fact you may have multiple options and that leads to letting your guard down and becoming a little sloppy. JMO
Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze my videos.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
never did get beyond a few racks in my last minute dash before the New Year. oh well...

I'll just double down for 2023 and shoot for 200 ;)

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I am making it my goal to play better 14.1 this year. I feel I've become mentally a little better over the past few months.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
Ran a personal high 63 today, got a few lucky rolls for sure with balls that went from the pack after the break, and then missed a dead simple position on 63, left with a Kick/combination and a bank. Shot the bank and missed it. Then shot the table length kick/combo and made it. Oh, well-

-dj