2024 Mosconi Cup predictions (early)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Jan picks for USA. Based on who will chase the WNT points, overall ability, practice discipline, etc:

Fedor
Shane
Skylar
Tyler
Lukas Fracasso-Verner

Long shots if they play every event, but I don't think they will:
Thorpe
Oscar
Archer
Deuel
Strickland

Maybe the WNT will bring some players out of the woodwork like Deuel and Archer.

Europe I have no idea. It could go 10 different ways.

Last edited:

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Who is your pick for USA Captain? May be it has already been announced and I haven't seen it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is your pick for USA Captain? May be it has already been announced and I haven't seen it.
Hmmm. I don't really see any candidate besides JJ. He should probably be fired due to poor performance, but who would replace him? He's active year round at all the events, knows all the players, has their respect, etc.

I could see potentially Scott Frost. But I think MR may want to keep him as an announcer.

I don't think MR will bring back a European for the USA coach. I also don't think they will bring back any of the veteran players like a Varner or Archer as a coach.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t really think of anyone other than JJ. Mark Wilson would be really good, but hasn’t he already done it and likely would not be interested again?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t really think of anyone other than JJ. Mark Wilson would be really good, but hasn’t he already done it and likely would not be interested again?
Mark did it for 3 years. I think it was right after CW's stint. I think Mark did it well. He worked with the players all year, and had a group of 8-10 he was with many times over the year, before picking his final 5 from the group. Maybe with the current players he could win doing the same thing? IDK.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think you're right about players coming out of the woodwork. first prize increased with 20-40k/player because of the reyes cup. i guess we'll see

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark did it for 3 years. I think it was right after CW's stint. I think Mark did it well. He worked with the players all year, and had a group of 8-10 he was with many times over the year, before picking his final 5 from the group. Maybe with the current players he could win doing the same thing? IDK.
Mark's method would work better in today's game. I realize it's only been a few years, but there's just more to play for and the players would stay more engaged. I'm not saying it needs to be Mark, but someone like him following them around and sort of working with them throughout the year could work.

I actually think our own @Tin Man would be great at organizing something like this in conjuction with him playing a few more tournaments himself.

Also, don't sleep on Bergman getting back into the mix. It's not like he's pawned his cues and quit playing entirely. So he could get his game back up to top speed in short order.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark's method would work better in today's game. I realize it's only been a few years, but there's just more to play for and the players would stay more engaged. I'm not saying it needs to be Mark, but someone like him following them around and sort of working with them throughout the year could work.

I actually think our own Tin Man would be great at organizing something like this in conjuction with him playing a few more tournaments himself.

Also, don't sleep on Bergman getting back into the mix. It's not like he's pawned his cues and quit playing entirely. So he could get his game back up to top speed in short order.
To add....

Matchroom may have come along at just the right time for Bergman. He's had a couple of years to see what life could look like without pool. Maybe now, with some clarity he could give it another go. I know I'd root for him.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only would having Mark as the coach give them a good chance, but having his instruction as one of the premier teachers in the game would benefit all of his players, if their egos allow them to follow his advice.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Early Jan picks for USA. Based on who will chase the WNT points, overall ability, practice discipline, etc:

Fedor
Shane
Skylar
Tyler
Lukas Fracasso-Verner

Long shots if they play every event, but I don't think they will:
Thorpe
Oscar
Archer
Deuel
Strickland

Maybe the WNT will bring some players out of the woodwork like Deuel and Archer.

Europe I have no idea. It could go 10 different ways.
Did Wolford quit pool?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only would having Mark as the coach give them a good chance, but having his instruction as one of the premier teachers in the game would benefit all of his players, if their egos allow them to follow his advice.
Really think these players need instruction?? At this level what they need is management, mental coaching. That's what Rusnik was so good at. He didn't tell the team dick about playing the game.

billb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it would make sense that Wolford be included again if he has a similar or better year. Personally, I feel that he played well given his rookie status and given the environment. AND I feel like the US isn’t full of obvious “better” choices. Mix all that together along with that priceless year of experience and I think he is for sure at the front of the line for serious consideration.

Justaneng

Registered
I think next year will be the same team as this year for the USA, and Europe can do a 5 person blind draw out of a hat from their pack of Fargo 800+ players and still be favored.

USA’s hope is Wolford is still young and continues to grow, and Tyler takes a step forward off of that plateau.

Then you have the SVB Mosconi cup conundrum, considering he’s the exact one person with the technical capability of eliminating crowd noise.