2026 WPBA Borderline Brunswick/Pechauer Invitational

Watching it on Youtube TV. Pretty nice on a 65" TV. Her form has went all to heck in this match. Not like she normally plays. Kaylee is a way better player but Veronica loves her pool and that is all that counts. We play a lot together, she's my wife's best friend.
I knew Veronica when she was in the Mankato MN area. Great player and just all around good person! I haven't seen her in many years, but it doesn't look like she has changed much at all!
 
I knew Veronica when she was in the Mankato MN area. Great player and just all around good person! I haven't seen her in many years, but it doesn't look like she has changed much at all!
She goes back there frequently as family is there and Iowa, plus plays with her old pool girl friends now and then. She's a lot stronger than shown in that match, I haven't seen form like that in her in awhile. I think the TV table got to her. She also plays a lot of scotch doubles with Brandon Jacoby. I just got done playing 3 yrs of Monday night league with her as one of my teammates.
 
Agreed, Jordan definitely struggled more. Both got a few rolls to hook the other early on but Jordan missed too many kicks. Definitely a weakness in her game. Not sure how often you watch her (Jordan) but I've watched quite a few of her matches, when she's on she can be deadly. I'm sure you know but her and Matlock won the scotch double in Ultimate Pool a while ago, she also won the women's at some point. Her nickname is Dead Stroke, there's a reason, it just didn't apply today, which shows her youth, she is only 14.
As noted, I've watched Helfery live multiple times. She has solid fundamentals. Still, her pattern play is under-developed and it is why she doesn't get a little more out of what she can execute on offense. Ultimate Pool is on bar-boxes and there is more forgiveness for patterns misplayed as the recovery shots are more easily handled.

She plays well for her age but does not yet show any real feel for or skills for defense and kicking, and until she adds that, she won't beat strong players to the shot often enough to have a chance to win. I did notice, however, that she's adequate with the jump cue, so that's going to help her. Right now, she can only beat a strong player if chances keep landing in her lap through strong breaking, luck, or opponent errors.

As I've said before, the potential is there, and she'll likely be a good player somewhere down the road, but let's not be delusional about how far along she is.
It was good to see Sofia confidently slam a few balls in in the later games, hopefully she brings that confidence tomorrow, she'll need it against Amy Beauchamp. As long as she plays smart she should get the win.
This field is weak enough that Sofia is assured of a top five even with her "B" game. Her offensive execution woke up in the second half of the Helfery match, and she'll need to sustain that to have any chance to beat either of the top two. Her pattern play was respectable, but her tactical judgment was mediocre, and it has to be much better for her to contend for the title.

Still, her last few racks offered at least some hope, so maybe she finds her top speed shortly.

I'm looking forward to the first 4 matches on the winners side tomorrow.

Tkach - Benoit. Clearly, Tkach should win and it's possible she dominates but if Tkach is off even a little bit and Benoit is on her A game it could be a good match. Benoit plays lots of different games (1 pocket is her favorite) and she's constantly improving but, as mentioned, she'll need her A game to get the win. (Tkach 8-3 - hope I'm wrong)

Kaylee McIntosh - Kennedy Meyman. If Kaylee plays the way she was yesterday Kennedy is going to have an issue. Either way, Kennedy needs her A game to win this one. (Kaylee 8-5)

Styer - Atwell. Styer should win this one and Atwell, like Kennedy, will need her A game either way. (Styer 8-2)

Sofia - Amy Beauchamp. Amy is a tough opponent. She's a world champ from across the pond. Her FR is only 611 but that doesn't tell the whole story, she's been around the block. (Sofia 8-6)

On the losers side the only person I'm keeping an eye on is Rachel Walters. She's up 5-4 now. If she wins, she'll play Lonnie Fox-Raymond. If Lonnie plays how she did today she'll have a hard time making it to the next round.
These are pretty solid predictions. That said, I've never heard of Amy Beauchamp, so I am shocked to learn she's a world champion. When did she win her world championship and in what discipline?

Finally, don't sleep on Briana Miller. She's still in on the loser side and is a solid player.
 
As noted, I've watched Helfery live multiple times. She has solid fundamentals. Still, her pattern play is under-developed and it is why she doesn't get a little more out of what she can execute on offense. Ultimate Pool is on bar-boxes and there is more forgiveness for patterns misplayed as the recovery shots are more easily handled.

She plays well for her age but does not yet show any real feel for or skills for defense and kicking, and until she adds that, she won't beat strong players to the shot often enough to have a chance to win. I did notice, however, that she's adequate with the jump cue, so that's going to help her. Right now, she can only beat a strong player if chances keep landing in her lap through strong breaking, luck, or opponent errors.

As I've said before, the potential is there, and she'll likely be a good player somewhere down the road, but let's not be delusional about how far along she is.

This field is weak enough that Sofia is assured of a top five even with her "B" game. Her offensive execution woke up in the second half of the Helfery match, and she'll need to sustain that to have any chance to beat either of the top two. Her pattern play was respectable, but her tactical judgment was mediocre, and it has to be much better for her to contend for the title.

Still, her last few racks offered at least some hope, so maybe she finds her top speed shortly.


These are pretty solid predictions. That said, I've never heard of Amy Beauchamp, so I am shocked to learn she's a world champion. When did she win her world championship and in what discipline?

Finally, don't sleep on Briana Miller. She's still in on the loser side and is a solid player.

Excellent points about Jordan, although we said it differently, I think we both agree she's not quite there yet, but she is only 14.

I'm pretty sure Amy's 6 world championships were in 8B. So yes, mostly on small tables, hence I put Sofia taking this one.
 
Excellent points about Jordan, although we said it differently, I think we both agree she's not quite there yet, but she is only 14.

I'm pretty sure Amy's 6 world championships were in 8B. So yes, mostly on small tables, hence I put Sofia taking this one.
Thanks for the info.

Sound like Amy's titles are in blackball, aka English 8ball. That has often been a good training ground for pros. Among those who began with it were Appleton, Boyes, Melling, Selby, Shaw and long-retired top ten WPBA player Sarah Ellerby.
 
Agreed, Jordan definitely struggled more. Both got a few rolls to hook the other early on but Jordan missed too many kicks. Definitely a weakness in her game. Not sure how often you watch her (Jordan) but I've watched quite a few of her matches, when she's on she can be deadly. I'm sure you know but her and Matlock won the scotch double in Ultimate Pool a while ago, she also won the women's at some point. Her nickname is Dead Stroke, there's a reason, it just didn't apply today, which shows her youth, she is only 14.

It was good to see Sofia confidently slam a few balls in in the later games, hopefully she brings that confidence tomorrow, she'll need it against Amy Beauchamp. As long as she plays smart she should get the win.

I'm looking forward to the first 4 matches on the winners side tomorrow.

Tkach - Benoit. Clearly, Tkach should win and it's possible she dominates but if Tkach is off even a little bit and Benoit is on her A game it could be a good match. Benoit plays lots of different games (1 pocket is her favorite) and she's constantly improving but, as mentioned, she'll need her A game to get the win. (Tkach 8-3 - hope I'm wrong)

Kaylee McIntosh - Kennedy Meyman. If Kaylee plays the way she was yesterday Kennedy is going to have an issue. Either way, Kennedy needs her A game to win this one. (Kaylee 8-5)

Styer - Atwell. Styer should win this one and Atwell, like Kennedy, will need her A game either way. (Styer 8-2)

Sofia - Amy Beauchamp. Amy is a tough opponent. She's a world champ from across the pond. Her FR is only 611 but that doesn't tell the whole story, she's been around the block. (Sofia 8-6)

On the losers side the only person I'm keeping an eye on is Rachel Walters. She's up 5-4 now. If she wins, she'll play Lonnie Fox-Raymond. If Lonnie plays how she did today she'll have a hard time making it to the next round.

Tkach got it 8-1. I wasn't too far off.

Kaylee and Kennedy - Kennedy started strong and was up 4-0 but Kaylee has got it to 4-3.

Styer - Atwell - Atwell as definitely brought her A game, it's hill-hill.

Sofia - Amy - Amy didn't do nearly as good as I thought she would, wish this one was streamed. I don't know if Amy was just that far off or if Sofia simply dominated that much, would've like to have seen it.

Rachel Walters is down 7-5 against Veronique. Not surprised, Veronique is a an excellent player.
 
Styer got it. She'll be playing Sofia next at 2PM Eastern. It's on table 15 so it will be streamed. After that it will be Jordan and Benoit. Could be a good one but I think Benoit should get it.
 
Nice win for Jordan Helfery over Benoit. Trailing 5-4 and hooked, she jumped a ball in and ran out! All the momentum shifted and Benoit did not win another rack. Nicely played.

Jordan has obviously put a lot of work into her jumping skills, and it paid off in this one.
 
Nice win for Jordan Helfery over Benoit. Trailing 5-4 and hooked, she jumped a ball in and ran out! All the momentum shifted and Benoit did not win another rack. Nicely played.

Jordan has obviously put a lot of work into her jumping skills, and it paid off in this one.

I couldn't watch it, had to put my transfer case together, now I have to look at someone else's car to figure out a whining noise. I will be watching the Mast/Styer match though, will probably tune in about 45 minutes after it starts.
 
Down to eight players.

A side
Kristin Tkach, vs Kennedy Meyman
Margaet Fefilova-Styer vs Sofia Mast

B side
Briana Miller vs Veronique Menard
Jordan Helfery vs Kaylee Mcintosh Driskell
 
Nice win for Jordan Helfery over Benoit. Trailing 5-4 and hooked, she jumped a ball in and ran out! All the momentum shifted and Benoit did not win another rack. Nicely played.

Jordan has obviously put a lot of work into her jumping skills, and it paid off in this one.

That was a great jump shot and from there, as you mentioned, she took control. That's the Jordan I'm used to watching.
 
Margaret wins 8-1. Kristina currently up 7-0 on Meyman, in a race to 8.
The cream rises to the top. Sofia got Margaret's "A" game and really had no shot in this one. The runouts are coming easy for the top two, who have been competing on equipment tighter than this during the past two events in Asia.
 
The cream rises to the top. Sofia got Margaret's "A" game and really had no shot in this one. The runouts are coming easy for the top two, who have been competing on equipment tighter than this during the past two events in Asia.

Yep, Sofia missed a few shots she should've made and didn't have the break. The way Styer was playing I don't think it would've changed the ending. I was thinking the same thing about Asia, those that played there are definitely more in stroke.
 
Kristina and Margaret facing each other at the semi final. One of them should have taken a loss earlier to make sure they would only meet at the finals... none of the other ladies in this event can touch them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sjm
Down to six.

Hot seat match
Margaret Fefilova-Styer vs Kristina Tkach

B side matches
Kaylee Mcintosh Driskell vs Sofia Mast
Briana Miller vs Kennedy Meyman

May the best woman win!
 
Back
Top