21st Century vs 20th Century US Open Winners

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
As I look back on all the US Open American winners, a pattern has taken shape and its seemingly a sign of the times here in good ollllll usa. As I look back, those that won this event in the 20th century seemed to dominate for many years and were "always" in the hunt on the final day. Why is it today, recent American winners don't consistently finish in the top anymore? A good example is the Texas event that just happened, I would of thought Jeremy or Gabe, one of em would of won it, but they don't appear to play as well as they once did, what's your thoughts. I mean...think of Rempe or Hall or Earl, or Archer, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, Jimmy Reid, David Howard, these guys most always were there at the end or won it, doesn't seem that way anymore with todays newest top players here in the states. What's your thoughts?
 
Island Drive said:
As I look back on all the US Open American winners, a pattern has taken shape and its seemingly a sign of the times here in good ollllll usa. As I look back, those that won this event in the 20th century seemed to dominate for many years and were "always" in the hunt on the final day. Why is it today, recent American winners don't consistently finish in the top anymore? A good example is the Texas event that just happened, I would of thought Jeremy or Gabe, one of em would of won it, but they don't appear to play as well as they once did, what's your thoughts. I mean...think of Rempe or Hall or Earl, or Archer, Sigel, Mizerak, Hopkins, Jimmy Reid, David Howard, these guys most always were there at the end or won it, doesn't seem that way anymore with todays newest top players here in the states. What's your thoughts?

Today's fields are much, much deeper. Put another way, there are far more players cable of snapping off each title than there were in the 1990's. In addition, most of the old timers of which you speak are BCA hall of famers. Trying to measure Jeremy or Gabe against that group is hardly fair.
 
Back
Top