25th annual Smokey Mountain Shootout

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
This years Smoky Mountain Shootout is the 25th year and is called the Silver Anniversary. This tournament has had 128 players every year for 25 years with winners like Shannon Daulton, Larry Nevel. Stevie Moore, Brian White, Keith McCready, Mike Gulyassy, Scott Rabon, Mike Painter, Earl Kellum, Jeff Abernathy, Tony Watson, Larry Price, Barry Metlock and Jimmy Early and more. We also have a womens open event that has filled up as well with the best women players around. The womens tournament is growing every year and will have a player auction also. It is an open event and will fill up fast this year as usual as soon as the tournament entry forms are mailed. This year there will bw a $10,000.00 purse in the mens open with an added player auction. I am the tournament director and have been since the 2nd tournament. It is bar table nine ball race to 9 double elimination. I am looking for someone to stream this event. There is no money as all the proceeds go to the ARC (association of retarded citizens) of Haywood County a non-profit organization. It is for the "kids" we have this event. It is always a great tournament and streaming would really be nice this year. Like I said it would be a very appreciated contribution to the ARC foundation and will be a great event. No one receives any money but a lot of people help this fine cause. We have good food and pool made possible by the ARC volunteers and of course the pool players that support this tournament every year. There are vendors and cue repair on site. Booths are available. Anyone wishing to contribute to this 25 year old event please contact me through this post. The "kids will love you for it.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you got the tournament Dates... Entry... Mailing address...Flyer etc posted somewhere yet?

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
The date is April 25,26 &27th. If you want a flyer call ARC 828-452-1980 press 0 and Pat Hill is who you want to speak to.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The date is April 25,26 &27th. If you want a flyer call ARC 828-452-1980 press 0 and Pat Hill is who you want to speak to.

OK I just spoke to Pat Hill (@ ARC) and she said..." the flyers will be made up in late Feb and mailed out at that time. They will not be accepting entries until after that time so it will be fair for all wanting to play... but that they will go very fast as soon as it opens. If you want to be added to the mail list you should call but otherwise look out for the flyer in your local pool hall at the end of Feb or early March". They are meeting soon to get thing together for this year.

Randy
:smile:

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Location?

OK I just spoke to Pat Hill (@ ARC) and she said..." the flyers will be made up in late Feb and mailed out at that time. They will not be accepting entries until after that time so it will be fair for all wanting to play... but that they will go very fast as soon as it opens. If you want to be added to the mail list you should call but otherwise look out for the flyer in your local pool hall at the end of Feb or early March". They are meeting soon to get thing together for this year.

Randy
:smile:

Is the location set. I believe that is used to be at a county fairgrounds (maybe Haywood's, but I don't see it on their website calendar?) years ago. It seems to slip up on me every year. But I should be able to go this year.

Could someone scan and post one when you get it. That would maybe help others as well. Add a little PR.

Daren

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Is the location set. I believe that is used to be at a county fairgrounds (maybe Haywood's, but I don't see it on their website calendar?) years ago. It seems to slip up on me every year. But I should be able to go this year.

Could someone scan and post one when you get it. That would maybe help others as well. Add a little PR.

Daren

It's always at the Haywood County Fairgrounds.
Great tournament . I make a point to play this event every year.
Good people and a great cause

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
This years event will be held at the very 1st years event location, same area different place. The Old Armory in Wanesville, NC.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, is there a different facility there now? The old armory was fairly small. I have been to every one since the 1st one(1st one was 8-ball).

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, is there a different facility there now? The old armory was fairly small. I have been to every one since the 1st one(1st one was 8-ball).

I wish this event would be 10B.... or at least no slop- call 9... we need to the game forward imo.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish this event would be 10B.... or at least no slop- call 9... we need to the game forward imo.
Too good to mess with, 128 with a waiting list(prepaid) every year. Most everyone likes it as it is.:smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember last year, somebody asking for the results of this event. I spent hours on Google trying to find one shred of news. It was almost nonexistent.

Sadly, whoever manages this tournament, there ain't much by way of advertisement. I guess it's a word-of-mouth thing, but it sure does suck for those who like to follow pool happenings.

Good luck finding out anything before, during, and after the Smokey Mountain Shootout. You'd think somebody would cover this event after 25 years and let the pool media know what's happening, to include us pool fans. :(

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I remember last year, somebody asking for the results of this event. I spent hours on Google trying to find one shred of news. It was almost nonexistent.

Sadly, whoever manages this tournament, there ain't much by way of advertisement. I guess it's a word-of-mouth thing, but it sure does suck for those who like to follow pool happenings.

Good luck finding out anything before, during, and after the Smokey Mountain Shootout. You'd think somebody would cover this event after 25 years and let the pool media know what's happening, to include us pool fans. :(

I wonder why AZB doesn't have someone do a write-up or at least send in the results so they can be posted on the forum for all of us rail birds who are interested in tournament results. This isn't a flash in the pan and it's been an annual event for the past 25 years! I agree JAM this should be covered and posted on AZB.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why AZB doesn't have someone do a write-up or at least send in the results so they can be posted on the forum for all of us rail birds who are interested in tournament results. This isn't a flash in the pan and it's been an annual event for the past 25 years! I agree JAM this should be covered and posted on AZB.

From what I understand -- and I could be wrong -- AzBilliards takes the stance that they are happy to report all news that is sent to them by someone on site at a tournament, but somebody on site at the tournament has to initiate this.

For whatever reason, the promoters of Smokey Mountain Shootout don't ever report anything to AzBilliards, much less any other pool media outlet. I have never understood why. :frown:

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
This years Smoky Mountain Shootout is the 25th year and is called the Silver Anniversary. This tournament has had 128 players every year for 25 years with winners like Shannon Daulton, Larry Nevel. Stevie Moore, Brian White, Keith McCready, Mike Gulyassy, Scott Rabon, Mike Painter, Earl Kellum, Jeff Abernathy, Tony Watson, Larry Price, Barry Metlock and Jimmy Early and more. We also have a womens open event that has filled up as well with the best women players around. The womens tournament is growing every year and will have a player auction also. It is an open event and will fill up fast this year as usual as soon as the tournament entry forms are mailed. This year there will bw a $10,000.00 purse in the mens open with an added player auction. I am the tournament director and have been since the 2nd tournament. It is bar table nine ball race to 9 double elimination. I am looking for someone to stream this event. There is no money as all the proceeds go to the ARC (association of retarded citizens) of Haywood County a non-profit organization. It is for the "kids" we have this event. It is always a great tournament and streaming would really be nice this year. Like I said it would be a very appreciated contribution to the ARC foundation and will be a great event. No one receives any money but a lot of people help this fine cause. We have good food and pool made possible by the ARC volunteers and of course the pool players that support this tournament every year. There are vendors and cue repair on site. Booths are available. Anyone wishing to contribute to this 25 year old event please contact me through this post. The "kids will love you for it.

What is the dates ?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
This is a charity tournament...but can you tell the details on how much is given to the ARC and how much is paid out? Or is it just the calcutta that is paid out and the entry fees go to the ARC?